SIG 238 not repaired by manufacturer, what next?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by gnwelch, Oct 8, 2010.

1. gnwelch

gnwelch XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have sent my SIG P238 back to SIG for repairs twice now and it still is not working properly, however, after the last trip they say that it was tested and functioned flawlessly.

After buying the gun, I took it home and cleaned it prior to taking it to the range. When I took it to the range, I ran about 120 rounds of Federal FMJ through it and out of that, had about 15 or so failure to ejects. In some cases, this is in form of a stove pipe, parallel feed jam where the spent shell isn't ejected, or a problem where the spent brass is caught up in the chamber. These jams seem to have no pattern whatsoever as to when they occur. I contacted customer service and sent it in for repairs. After about 2.5 weeks I received it back from SIG with a note saying that they upgraded the extractor and test fired the gun with no failures.

Next trip to the range, again with Federal FMJ... ran about 100 more rounds through it and had about 8 of the same types of jams. Now getting frustrated, I took it home, cleaned it and decided to give it another try. I headed back out to the range again a little later that week and again experienced the same problems. I called SIG once again and sent it back once again.

This time, they send the gun back to me saying they tested it and they were not able to replicate the problem. Absolutely livid at this point, I go to the range with my fiance and a video camera and had her video me shooting with close ups of the jams… AFTER it came back from SIG with no problems. Out of about 80-100 more rounds, 4 or 5 jams on video.

I have been shooting handguns for about 4-5 years or so and am familiar with proper techniques, grip, stance etc. This is NOT a limp wristing issue. I love the gun but I can't trust it to work and at this point I am downright mad that I made the decision to buy this gun over an LCP, which was the runner up. If I could do it over I would go with an LCP.

Does anybody here have any recommendations for what to do next? I have thought about burning the video of the range trip to a CD and sending it back to SIG with the gun as proof. Nevertheless, they can still pull the same crap saying that they “tested” it and it works fine, regardless of what I’m experiencing. Is it unrealistic to believe there is a possibility of getting it exchanged with SIG?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Pictures of JAMS:
    Imageshack - 062410143000.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
    Imageshack - 062410142701.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
    Imageshack - 062410142700.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
    Most common jam:
    Imageshack - 062410142401.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
    Imageshack - 062410142400.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
    Imageshack - img5201b.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user

2. Rlxurmnd

Rlxurmnd XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you tried different ammo.

3. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Even though you say it's not a limp wristing issue I will still ask have you had other experienced shooter shoot the gun and see if they can replicate you problem. I sure does sound like limp wrisitng to me.
    I saw this lady shooter at a competition with a brand new colt gold cup, every other mag she'd get a stove pipe or other fte, two cop friends of hers would take the gun and shoot 2 mags no issues she'd take the gun and first few of rounds and fte. They kept telling here there was nothing wrong with the gun but she just couldn't shoot it without a fte.

4. Mad Pick

Mad Pick XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Mine produces brass that's deformed like that too -- maybe 4 or 5 out of 100. I've only had it jam open once like you showed, though, with the empty case parallel to the chamber.

5. Nephalem16

Nephalem16 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would try different ammo and if that don't work then sell it and buy an LCP. Never had a jam even when my wife shot it.

6. F-Trooper05

F-Trooper05 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another example of how SIG has gradually turned into a tier-2 gun company. They're more concerned with beaver tails and cute little "Blackwater" engravings than they are with quality control.

7. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would give Sig one for shot at fixing it. Too expensive of a gun to do this.

8. gnwelch

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never had any problems with other semi-autos Beretta, Glock, LCP's, XD's... I think 4 years with no other problems should suffice as having enough experience to not limp wrist.

Regarding different ammo - here in Houston, .380 is still very hard to find. Buying most of it online but at the price most of it is at, and being on a budget, I haven't experimented with too many other types. I have put about 50 rounds of Prvi Partizan through it and out of those I think I had one malfunction.

I am not the only one having this problem. It's one of the more common problems with the gun for people who do have problems (there are a lot who don't). That being said, it's aggravating as hell that I'm hearing more and more people saying exactly what F-Trooper said, and that SIG isn't doing more to fix this. That's why I'm asking if anybody has ever had an experience with a gun not working right and having the manufacturer fix it.

... might be the route I wind up taking. Never had a single problem any of the times I've shot the LCP. After my 238's last trip back to SIG, and nobody here or at SIG Forums suggesting that I rely on SIG to fix it, I am quickly losing confidence in their ability to fix this situation.

9. jtprevatte

jtprevatte Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I had one, no longer. Neat little guns but they have issues. I had one that was "biting" the brass on ejection therefore deforming the brass...as a reloader that is BAD.

I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolfe spring for the "original" style of that gun and it was a heavier spring, this seemed to help but it would still do it from time to time.

Therefore....traded it for a less than 100 round through it XD9SC! :D

10. jtprevatte

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    That is exactly what mine was doing to the brass. What I found was that the recoil spring was WEAK and they seem to get that way after about 300 rounds.

I replaced mine with a Wolfe spring and it helped, but did not completely cure the problem.

I no longer have it, it magically turned into a dang near new XD9SC!

11. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sorry to hear about your problems I just bought one and have had a few issues but they were all with the colt mustang mags. No issues with 3rd generation sig mags. Don't give up on this great gun. I still need to get all the bugs out of mine but very close.
    1 Make sure you have 3rd generation sig mags.
    2 Tryout the 12lb wolfe spring thats made for the colt
    3 Polish the feed ramp

Also heard from other 238 owners that the extracters can be an issue. To test this take out your recoil spring and barrell then slide a bullet against the firing pin hole inside the extracter. If it stays in place your good. If it falls out you need a new one.

Hope that helps

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  12. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I do think that this gun should run right out of the box and all these extra fixes should not have to be done by the customer. I just love this little thing and I knew what I was getting into before my purchase. This gun actually has real sights and makes this thing extremely accurate unlike the lcp which is a nice firearm. I just want to know that I'm going to hit my target every time no matter if its 1 yrd or 25yrds. Very few can say that about a lcp.

13. gnwelch

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate the recommendations! When I tried the test on the extractor, it held on with no problem so it's most likely not that.

I was aware that there are 3 different versions of the magazine but I'm not sure which is which. I know that some people have been reporting issues that have cleared up by using a different magazine. Do you know how to tell which is which or where to buy one that you know will be a 3rd generation? (Pictures of mine: Imageshack - 100910171200.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user , Imageshack - 100910171100.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user)

Also been planning to try out the Wolf spring. Do you know if it is supposed to last longer than the whoppin 300 rounds that the original is rumored to last?

14. jtprevatte

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    See....that's the issue I have. Why, should I, after spending TON of money on the thing have to go to another manufacturer and buy their spring to fix the gun manufacturers problem.

Sig SHOULD fix all the issues or they should pull them. There are many people having issues, I just got tired of being one of them.

15. jtprevatte

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Yes, the Sig has real sights and the LCP does not. BUT, I can say that my LCP is VERY accurate, I was very surprised when I got it.

The only major plus that the Sig has going for it is the weight of the gun which reduces the recoil....yet, on the other hand, is a drawback against the LCP.

Been down both the Sig and the LCP road.....still have the LCP.