SHTF Ammo Stockpile

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Gatormba, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Gatormba

Gatormba XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those of you that stockpile ammo for your handguns do you stockpile FMJ or JHP rounds? Also what brands and retailers do you recommend to make it cost effective?

As much as I would like to stockpile Gold Dots or Hydra-shok's it gets expensive when you start talking large quantities.

2. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It all depends on how much you want to stockpile. if you're talking a thousand rounds or more, i don't think it's cost effective to stockpile hollow points. I pesonally don't stock anything except fmj because of cost.

if you reload, then I think it'd be more easy to stock hollow point. but buying it off the shelf, unless you can get wwb hollow points on sale in boxes of 50.. it's just too expensive.

3. hellagerms

hellagerms XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Both, but I actually stock more ball than anything. The ball is really my SHTR days (R=range) and when I am low on ammo. At least 1000rnds for every caliber in ball remains in stock. I figured if NATO ball is GTG when USA determines it is SHTF, I can use it to. Zombies dont care, at least the ones I have met.

As far as premiums go, I stock enough to practice defense drills and to keep all my carry magazines filled with dots, hydras etc.

I will not use TAP FPD 223 or 308 for SHTF lol

4. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I stockpile mostly FMJ. You can easily shoot it and buy more to assure that your stock isn't excessively old.

5. Lazarus

Lazarus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I stockpile FMJ but keep some JHP on hand for defense.

6. Broadside

Broadside XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Both of course. I've got about 500 rnds in hollow points for each handgun caliber for 357 SIG I've got Speer GD's for .45 I've got Winchester Rangers for 9MM combination of Federal Hydrashocks, Speer, Ranger and one other I don't remember. The rest is FMJ / ball ammo and makes up about another 1,000 rnds for each. Min of 500 rnds JHP and 1000 FMJ each. Yes it's expensive!!!!

7. nsnate02

nsnate02 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on what the general consensus is. Blazer CCI 115g for me. It's ballistic qualities matched with it's low price, makes it well suited for stockpiling. I do keep as much Gold Dot's and HST as I can afford. Mainly because prices are only going to go up.

8. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I stock FMJ. But have HPs for carry and defense. Just make sure if you only stock FMJs make sure you test fire at least a box of the HPs to make sure you firearm feeds them well.

9. BBunin

BBunin XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's because a head shot is still a head shot, regardless of the ammo!

10. mattjohnston87

mattjohnston87 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yes, yes it is.

I've been trying to hoard the 100 round value packs from Winchester. I plan on doing a bulk Winchester Ranger load sometime soon.

Matt

11. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    FMJs, any weight of 9mm. Surplus and commercial when the price is right. Besides that, if SHTF, I'd only have 100rds with me anyway and wouldn't care what it was......

12. Corey G

Corey G XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here when I see clearance or sales I stock up. Theres was a sale on fedral Hollow pionts in S&W a few years back for $5 a box for 50 needless to say I have quite a bite of that. I noticed any time of late I see good deals on bulk or surplus it goes away within a few days.

13. Hank Ellis

Hank Ellis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Between practice and competition I go through around 1000 rounds a month in handgun. I usually have at least 1500 rounds each of a couple calibers sitting around at any time. I play at the clays games also and I'm fully caught up on reloading 12ga finally. Got about 10 cases scattered around. When the SHTF it really won't matter whether its my lead practice stuff, my FMJ match stuff, or my trap load. I'm covered. With that said I still have a box or two of quality defense ammo as my front line ammo.

FWIW: My opinion on stockpiling strictly for a SHTF scenario. You don't need all that much. Two worst cases: The North Hollywood Shootout and Katrina. Hollywood. The BG shot 1100 rounds and the LEO shot 600 or 800. Are you going head to head with two nut cases with full autos? No. You're going to fire enough to retreat. What, a couple mags? Katrina: From what I've gathered from the papers, the most any citizen fired was 5 shots or less. Simply a show of force was enough to defuse the situation. The last is if you have to live off the land for a while till civilization returns. Here a .22 and a brick of ammo will put meat on the fire. A 12ga with a combo of birdshot, buckshot, and slug loads on hand will handle any situation from hunting to defense.

So what are we looking at? Probably 100 to 150 rounds of handgun with 50 rounds being quality defense ammo, a brick of .22, and two boxes each of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.

Having gone through the insanity of Katrina I've really have had a 'wake up and smell the coffee' experience. It boils down to the Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.

14. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you are stock piling for SHTF, 100rds for each pistol is mope than enough, about the same for rifle & SG, you are set for most SHTF scenarios. Now if you are talking end of the world stuff, handload your ammo & put it away in 50cal ammo cans w/ a dessic. pack. It will last longer than you will.:rolleyes:

15. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'll usually pick up stuff as I go but I like to keep a min. of 200 rnds per caliber handy. I would prefer 1k rounds per caliber but as soon as I get in a shipment I start praticing more and the stockpile gets ran down before I get more money for more ammo.

I've seen pictures of some guys houses that have half of their basement stacked from the floor to the ceiling with nothing but ammo cans full of various calibers of ammo.