Shoulder holster vs. Belt holster

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Ripsnortr, May 7, 2011.

1. Ripsnortr

Ripsnortr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to get myself a more comfortable holster for my XDM-9 3.8 than the stock plastic one. I like the idea of a shoulder holster, but wonder if all the straps etc would just become cumbersome.

Anyone have one or the other they like/recomend?

2. psychocabbage

psychocabbage XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are you wanting the holster for?
    Where would you wear it? Did you grow up watching Miami vice?

3. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    couple more Qs: What is the climate type where you live? How do you normally dress? Does this fit your job and usual activities? What size firearm?

4. Ripsnortr

Ripsnortr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I can see there is a need for more clarification for opinions.

My avatar and sig both display XDM-9mm 3.8, that is the gun I purchased.

I live in New Hampshire so climate varies from 100 degree days to below 0 depending on time of year.

I ride a motorcycle in the summer, so my choice would mean I would want it secured. I thought a hip holster might get in the way with a passenger along which led me to the thought of a shoulder holster.

I would not be wearing it to work.

I would be wearing it walking in the woods. I do not hunt.

I would like my choice to fit an active lifestyle, and not be obvious so as not to have to answer lots of uncomfortable personal choice questions like if I watched pompous, badly written television in the 80's.

5. ta2dave76

ta2dave76 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Miami vice was a great show. Many big name actors appeared in those shows.

If you want bad 80s tv watch V.

And check out don hume holsters

6. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Barney Miller. ;)

7. Russ7777

Russ7777 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is a suggestion. I would buy a couple of different holsters. I think a shoulder holster would be good when you are riding. I assume you wear a leather jacket when you ride, although if the person riding on back wraps their (her) arms around you, the shoulder holster could be an issue. The shoulder holster would also be good for walking in the woods, if you wearing a jacket.
    I would also get a IWB hip holster for other times. I would find one that is comfortable, and allows you ease of movement. So to answer your question, you should consider the activity you are planning on, and choose your method of carry accordingly.

8. Ripsnortr

Ripsnortr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK looks like I am going to just have to spend some time trying some out and find what I like better forwhat I am doing as Russ suggested.

The $6,400 question would be what brands do you guys trust and who you might avoid. I can accept that I have to shop around, but I really want a quality product for my money and hate the thought of ending up with junk.

I did just see the front page poll and I guess this is a pretty bruised dead horse of a subject so I appreciate any help you guys are willing to offer.

9. Russ7777

Russ7777 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to the list of sponsors you will find some good brands. I do not have one yet, but crossbreed makes a very good iwb holster you might want to check out.

10. Bonehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    not for nothin I just ordered a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Adjustable-Holster-Flashlight-Digital/dp/B001WJ6XQS/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1304640987&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: UTG Adjustable Leg Holster for Pistol/Flashlight, Army Digital: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] for my 4.5 .40.

less than 20 bucks (combined with another doo dad I wanted) made for free shipping. I figure I couldn't go too far wrong for the price. even if its junk I can at least figure out if I would like that style holster and what to look for in a more expensive version.

I would hate to be 150 bucks in on a blackhawk or something and decide I really don't like a drop leg.

11. psychocabbage

psychocabbage XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use an IWB holster daily. Its all leather and hand made. Tucker Texas Heritage. Its great and adjustable. I have no complaints.

All joking aside, I think the shoulder holster is nice until you realise how easy it is to sweep body parts when unholstering the weapon.. also, if you are riding a bike and have a passanger you will technically have it pointed at them the whole ride. (The holsters I have seen have the gun more horizontal than verticle.. )

I find my IWB does great for about 90% of what I do.. When I want to wear real tight clothing, then I pull out my organizer/concealed carry bag. Works fine and no one knows what it is.

Mall ninjas love this stuff! hahha We had a guy show up to our IDPA shoots wearing one of these for his holster and he even had a shotgun shell bag on his other side for some unknown reason.. Guy was an expert at everything.. till he pressed the trigger.

As neat as this gear is, I dont see where one could wear it without being in the military and not looking odd.

12. Ripsnortr

Ripsnortr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is a good option for the woods, and your right, for the price, you can't beat it... going to have to think about that one.

13. Ripsnortr

Ripsnortr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You make an excelent point cabbage. The thought of having a shoulder holster pointed at the passanger the whole ride does make me rethink the choice.

I did go out into the woods today with the stock plastic one just to be sure of my opinion and I have to admit it didn't feel as cumbersome as I initially thought it would be. I forgot it was there after I got moving.

My first impressions were based on never having had a gun on me before, so there is going to be a large learning curve for me. I will still be looking around and looking for the most comfortable and more secure option for riding. The stock holster is not looped into anything. It just relies on catching the top seam of the pants from what I can tell. And it also does not have anything keeping the gun from exiting the holster aside from friction.

14. Bonehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

I aint going all mall ninja lol I Just saw it was cheap and wanted to check it out. ya know... another option to hang in the closet.

it might be pretty nice and I might love it even if I do look like a dork with a G I Joe leg.

could be junk too for under 20 bucks... never know til you give it a day in court though, right? I mean I need some gear that functions above style or cool factor. I hope it works ok.

15. Bonehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got it. Give me a while and I'll share my thoughts.