Should "Neat Freaks" avoid Bi-tone? / Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by ChrisToad, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ChrisToad

ChrisToad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey gang! I have an observation / question if I may.

I recently took my new XD40-SC Bi-tone out for it's first trip to the range on Friday. (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-...-first-time-out-thwarted-movie-shoot-ack.html)

I'm not a total 'neat freak' per se (in denial)... but when I spend a decent amount of $ on stuff, I like to keep it as clean and 'like new' as possible.

When cleaning the slide afterward, I noticed a LOT of black buildup where the back of the shell casing meets the slide / firing pin. I use Ballistol as my cleaning agent / lubricant. I had a b*tch of a time getting the aforementioned black buildup out of there. There are so many small edges and surfaces in that area of the slide.

I realize that my Glock probably has the same gunk all over it, and I just can't see it on the black colored steel.

1. Am I being totally anal? Is this buildup simply a side effect of the large scale explosion happening just a few millimeters away? I don't see the gunk anywhere else in the slide.

2. If I'm not crazy... is there a suggested method for getting that stuff out of there? I'm weary of getting any Ballistol down in the internals of the slide. I'm also using a tooth brush with synthetic bristles. Is it acceptable to use a wire brush on the slide? I don't want to scratch it up.

Thank you in advance for any help / suggestions... I'm trying to 'think out loud' here as best as possible to make the situation clear. If you guys want a photo of the 'gunk' I can attempt to upload one.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. shaner

shaner XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    just part of the game id say , you make try different brands of ammo to stop some of the dirt but i have both bitone guns and black , all getthe same dirt

3. .40 Smith and Wes

.40 Smith and Wes XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have the same gun-love it by the way. I've always just used a brass brush on it. At first I was worried about scratching the slide but there is no easier way to clean that crap out. You can buy special brushes, and I have some but I just use the same brass brush that I clean the barrel with. I find that you can give the gun a wet down with cleaner, then brush-I have a "catch-all" box under the bench and I hold the parts of the gun over it and spray the crap comes right off

I'm anal too and clean my guns much too much. The guys at the range scoff at me but I think a clean gun is easier to shoot and functions better too. Oh also, I've tried every cleaner in the book-just use breakfree and the only way to get lead out is to scrub, scrub, scrub.

Also, make sure to clean the firing pin tunnel-it will get crapped-up and slow down the firing pin causing ftf

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Enjoy it, it was made to get dirty.

5. Acerimmer

Acerimmer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My old bruniral or whatever finish XD9 has a brass colored circle around the firing pin hole. Brass brush wont get it off with any solvents I use. I could bust out the Dremel, but I just aint worried about it.

My only guess is the brass case getting slammed into that part of the gun, but I do wonder why mine is brass colored while yall's is black.

Maybe it just looks darker on yall's stainless slides.

6. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Don't worry, I'm the same way. There's nothing wrong with taking care of your investment. The spot you described is the only place on my hard chromed XD45 that I don't worry about anymore. I hit it with a brush (any brush softer than the metal/finish) but don't get it all anymore.

7. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yep, Anal is a good word for it. :rolleyes:

8. timebandit

timebandit XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Sig P250 SS and my XD9SC bi-tone both have the same buildup. I get off as much as I can with a brass brush and Breakfree and then leave it be. Not much else you can do. At least your gun has this problem: if it was a safe queen it wouldn't, and I think that is a much worse problem!

9. ChrisToad

ChrisToad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A HUGE 'thank you' to all of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

I will attempt to hit it with a brass brush and see what happens... beyond that I should be able to get over it pretty easily knowing you guys are experiencing the same thing.

Enjoy the balance of the weekend!

10. dagwag77

dagwag77 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Break free and some good scrubbing. But I'm the same way - it better be sparking like the day I bought it or I didn't do a good enough job! I'll admit, OCD here I come...

11. GFunk

GFunk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Same here...old XD9 - brass circle around the firing pin. My assumption is when the shell is pushing back on the slide it is vibrating slightly and basically filled in any tiny imperfections in the slide with brass bits.

Anyone else (out of boredom and curiousity) hold their weak hand on the back of the slide when firing to force it to stay in battery? I did this with my .22 pistol and it left a ringing sensation in my hand. That's where I get my vibrating brass theory from.

12. JonXD

JonXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Just keep shooting don't worry about it! Clean it after range time and your golden.