Should i get my handgun in 9mm or .45?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by john9, Nov 14, 2011.

1. john9

john9 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm getting it for concealed carry/personal defense and home defense. From my military training I'm familiar with the 9mm and like the accuracy. I've never actually fired a .45 so I don't know how it compares in kick, accuracy, etc.
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking i would just get the 9mm and stack it so every other round was JHP (hollow-point) and FMJ. But i have been told the 9mm can lack stopping power.

What would you recommend? How does the .45 compare to the 9mm when it comes to kick and accuracy?

2. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd wait and get the new XDm 45 compact. If your well versed with 9mm, you'll do fine with 45.

100-200 rounds down range and you'll be all set!

3. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 8
    To me, there's not enough of a difference between a 9mm, .45, or .40 caliber to be much of a concern, so I went with what makes the biggest hole. If you can go rent guns at a local shooting range, that might help you make a decision. There's other things to consider, like ammo cost too.

4. Boris

Boris XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have also been told by a real life expert a 9mm will NOT travel 100 yards. I can tell you 9mm cures cancer if you get shot with it. It's up to you to believe what you are told.

I also am pretty sure 9mm, 40, 45 will do the same job. That would mean I will also tell you a 45 won't travel 100 yards and cures cancer after just buying a box of it. Only girls use 40.

Don't listen to every expert you run across is all I am saying bro. Keep us updated on what you get. For now for cost reason and familiarity reasons start out with a 9 and add a 45. IMO everyone needs both. Enjoy and pics, range, field reports are expected......

5. ssace250

ssace250 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say for range time go with the 9mm. The ammo cost is much cheaper than a .45. It really is a matter of preference though. Personally I have both a 9mm and a .40 and don't notice much difference in the kick but I didn't notice alot of difference in the way the gun felt in my hand. Mostly due to the difference in makers.

6. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agree, if you see yourself shooting a lot, get the 9mm for cost savings.

7. getanxd

getanxd XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    i think the .45 was built for the Zulu wars maybe or something for Knock Down Power? you state for personal defense, just ask anyone, if THEY had to be shot for whatever the reason with ball ammo - say to take one for the team or for their family, go with the opposite round they volunteer to be shot with!

i was like you yrs ago and went w/the 9mm for max mag cap and the old school of spray and pray...like some big shootout would ever happen or something in SD sit. shot lots of 9s then wanted somethign bigger, went w/a .40 - still thought the .45 was just to big/loud/kick/etc. started shooting local tach matches, psuedo IPSC a few yrs. stopped and yrs later started shooting single stack competition some - not long just a few months - THEN FELL IN LOVE w/the .45 and wished i had never even owned a .40 (esp what it did to the 10mm round market; see several rants on .40s by me! THAT is just all personal no offense to you .40 lovers here). anyway, there you have it from MY shooting experience w/3 cals over the past decade+.

8. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    9mm ammo much cheaper than 45. so if you plan to spend a lot of time at the range go for 9.
    also, usually, with 9mm you can stack more in the magazine compared to 45.
    as far as recoiled, it is all perceived recoil based on the gun type.
    some heavier style (more steel) pistols like 1911's that shoot 45 don't have much more "perceived recoil" than some polymer 9mms
    Best advice is to "try before you buy"

9. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +773 / 52
    Without a doubt, this is the most frequently posed question on the forum. I am surprised we don't have a definitive answer yet! :rolleyes:

10. Breadman03

Breadman03 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    9 is cheaper to plink with. 45 gives you a better excuse to start reloading. They will both be effective on a threat.

11. Pucknut

Pucknut XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My preference is 45 acp just based on 30+ years of shooting. However, from a sheer expense standpoint, 9mm is cheaper for practice. Not sure why you want to load FMJ and hollow points in the same magazine. HP's are much more effective for self defense, stick with those would be my advice.

12. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I like both calibers but for a carry gun I prefer 9mm. More rounds, faster follow up shots, and it's cheaper to practice with. I can't remember the stats but I know in SD shootings you're not always going to hit your target, so having more rounds may save your life.

13. Magnet

Magnet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is always the middle ground - .40 S&W. Recoil is stouter (snappier and with a little more torque) than with a 9mm, but less (IMHO) than with a .45.

Go to a range, rent or borrow each and try it. I read, recently, an article by a guy who was a huge proponent of the .45 ACP and who didn't think 9MM was a reliable carry round. He's had a change of heart and that change of heart is the basis of what I have felt for a long time: he feels (as I do) that it's as important to be able to put several rounds on target quickly and he can accurately shoot 9MM faster than he can accurately shoot .45 ACP.

I say this as a guy who just traded a 9MM CZ-85B for a .40 S&W XDM. So I guess I am hedging my bets.

14. Infiniti87

Infiniti87 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first and only handgun is a .45. I've got the shooting bug so I will be picking up a 9mm early 2012 perhaps earlier to help me with my shooting addiction. Its not cheap going to the range with a .45 and .308 every weekend. I got my .45 about a month ago and have 1000 rounds through it.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

15. matthew03

matthew03 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would offer this advice: If you were to be stuck shooting FMJ ammo then .45 auto would be the preferred choice, if modern HP ammo is available then 9mm, .40S&W, or .45 ACP are fairy equal if the projectile expands as designed. If you reside in a very cold climate where residents wear multiple layers of heavy clothing and down jackets most of the year then back towards the larger calibers due to the possibility of the round not expanding as much as it should from clogging up with fiber.

I feel comfortable carrying anything above 9mm for SD, not that a small .380 or .38 Special isn't fine for some, but I relegate those to BUG duty for my personal preference. Recoil is going to depend more on the platform you are firing the round from than the round itself. I will say in equal sized firearms I find the .40 to be a snappier recoiler than 9 or .45, the 9 in a service sized firearm is a pussycat and sweet for quick follow up shots and the .45 out of a 1911 Government Mod, (my favorite platform for it), is a push rather than a violent impulse. I feel confident in all three, but remember shot placement is the key to good performance in any caliber.