should I bother? interest in joining a branch

Discussion in 'U.S. Military Services & Veterans' started by Sublimeon24s, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sublimeon24s

Sublimeon24s XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Ever since I was a little kid I knew at 18 I was joining the USAF with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot........THEN........i grew up to be 6'6 and a half and was told I was too tall to be a fighter pilot.

Fast foward, im now 29yrs old, still 6'6 and a half, and 265lbs (still a little overweight)......I work out regular and am getting in real good shape however my knees are somewhat messed up a little from a car accident.....they only affect me if im constantly running full speed on pavement for long periods of time

Im working a regular dead end job in a call center and really cant take having no direction in life anymore........I really dont know what I want to do the rest of my life or how to begin to get there..........everytime I think about what I can see myself doing, my brain basically "shuts down" and I cant get anywhere or it seems like a field / position thats impossible to get into................I think if I was to join some sort of branch of the armed forces, this would help me get on the right path and figure out what I will do with the rest of my life. Question is, at my age, condition, height, etc, should I bother?

because of my size, and love of tactical training with guns, one day I would really like to somehow get into the executive protection / personal protection field doing security detail work

2. TexDeuce

TexDeuce XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First things first, get your fat you know what in shape. No branch of the military wants a fat@**. Have some respect for yourself. Second, the military CAN be a great avenue for finding yourself or even making a career out of it. And you can die knowing you served your country. There are age limits, and be prepared to be one of the older guys.

3. Sublimeon24s

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    lol.........bro, 6'6 and 265 isnt all that fat,......I need to loose like 15lbs which will take another 2 months max...........at 230 I looked anorexic like a coke head

4. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0
    Go for it.

Since you have bad knees and live in Florida, maybe you should consider the Coast Guard. Being 6'6" might be a real asset in Maritime Enforcement or you might enjoy being a Gunner's Mate.

Odds are that either of those jobs will be easier on your knees than the Army or Marines.

Of course, if you want technical skills, the Air Force might be a good option.

5. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 6
    +1 for civies in unifrom ;)

Best move I ever did was joining up!

6. TexDeuce

TexDeuce XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't see the 6'6 part lol my bad man. What I said still stands if you (or anyone) is overweight. I would have been much less harsh about it if I had seen your height. You are right, you aren't that far off.

7. Sublimeon24s

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I would really be interested in Gunners Mate or Maritime Enforcement, or anything on a boat / helicopter. I was pretty much thinking coast guard when I made this thread, however I heard the coast guard in general is pretty hard to get into, nevertheless those (2) roles

8. Sublimeon24s

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    lol, its all good my man :cool:

9. rgrmax

rgrmax XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go for it bro! I joined the army when I was 28. Check out all the different branches and see what they have to offer. It is good to have options and be able to pick and choose from what they all have.
    It was a good decision for me, I was kind of lost and not really going anywhere. Being in the service has really opened up doors for me and given me the discipline and focus I lacked before joining up.
    It is not for everyone but I am glad I did it. I am now a for real college graduate, looking forward to a great career, and most importantly I have a wonderful family that makes it all worthwhile.
    Do It!

10. swaniriver

swaniriver XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Joining the ANG was the best decision I ever made!! Just wish I would have joined at 18 instead of 22 so I could hit my 20 sooner. Just make sure when you do your research of all the branches Check out the GUARD/RESERVE as well as Active duty. You can be traditional (one weekend a month/two weeks a year) or possibly get a full time job and wear the uniform everyday.

No matter what branch or route you pick it will be an eye opening/life changing decision.:D

11. walb0244

walb0244 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would definately say to go for it. Joining the military has been one of the best things I ever did. To me it shapes you actually into someone. Been in for 8 years so far. Liek said above. Just be sure to check out all of your options.

12. Charles B

Charles B XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Several directions for you. The main one is GO FOR IT. Also consider the LEO at federal levels along with the Coast Guard the Border Patrol may hold some attraction for you. I hope you have been keeping the ole noodle in shape and have college courses to back it up or are pursuing those at this time. If not jump on those also.

13. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    It pays to do your research.

Maximum enlistment age for regular duty Coast Guard is 27. You can still join the reserves.
    If you have a family you're pretty much screwed.

- Joining the Military - Military.com

Your height and weight are pretty close. Take a look at the chart.

14. j99tc88

j99tc88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I spent 20 years in the USAF, can say it was some of the best years of my life. Didnt have a direction at 18 either, found my niche and worked it the best i could. Then retired and now am teaching what the USAF trained me to do. It's a great life in the military, and they will prepare you for jobs when you get out. Your knees may be somewhat of an issue but if you can make it thru basic you should be good to go.
    hang in there and good luck. Just do your research, but don't waste anymore time.

15. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Aren't people that tall just supposed to become basketball players? :p

Well, unless you are absolutely determined to be a pilot or submariner I would say go for it. Things like pilots do have many restrictions, however some of the positions for people that work on the aircraft with them like crew chiefs and such do not. (dependent on brach and MOS) There's no harm in talking to a recruiter.