Shot a Hi-Point C-9 today.

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Deer Slayer, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    A friend of mine brought over a Hi-Point C9 today. I can't say I was impressed, but it seemed OK for a $150 gun. I put 2 mags through it, no jams for me, but it jammed on him a couple times. I think his thumb was rubbing the slide though. Shoots accurately enough, but the trigger kinda sux. It's also ugly, and has a heavy slide. Wish he brought more ammo, I would have liked to see how many mags it would fire jam free for me. I pointed out his thumb was on the slide, and it didn't jam for that mag after that. I let him shoot a couple mags through the XD, and he liked it. He put his thumb on the slide lock though, and the slide locked back on him a couple times. Need to break his high thumb habit.

2. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They are only good for about 4 full mags. You probably wore it out before he got a chance to shoot it. Darn!:p

3. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a hi point. Traded it for my tactical xd. Can't wait for it!

4. zulu45

zulu45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have a C-9, though my friend has one, and I have shot it a lot. It has always been great. Once he installed a new version firing pin and spring (he had one of the first versions), it has been flawless. Recoil is higher than most other 9mm guns, due to the heavy slide and blowback design, but it has always been reliable, reasonably accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.

I don't own one, and since I am a Glock man, I do not intend on buying one. But if I had one, and it has proven reliable to me, I would not hesistate to use it for defense purposes. That being said, I would upgrade to a Glock/XD/M&P as soon as possible, given the opportunity.

I just don't like having to use a punch to field (is this really something suitable for in the field? Probably not.) strip the firearm.

The one thing that bothers me is how people say, in response to their amazing customer service, is that it's "because they need it". Springfield Armory has similar customer service, and are obviously not talked down about here. So using good customer service as a negative really doesn't work, from an argumentative perspective.

5. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Points are the most unfairly maligned guns out there. They are cheap, they are ugly, but for someone who can't afford a "name" gun, Hi Points are great nightstand guns. They are generally reliable, decently accurate guns.

6. Nephalem16

Nephalem16 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best thing about hi points is that they are so heavy you can use them as an effective club if you have to.

7. MrClean81

MrClean81 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Point .380 was the the first HP I owned(same frame as the C-9), and the 3rd handgun in general that I bought.. Never had a FTF/FTE with it, and it was pretty accurate. I actually ended up buying the .40 and the .45, and also the 9mm carbine. They're cheap, and heavy, and really ugly, BUT none of them ever gave me any problems.. I've since sold them all and upgraded my company, but I think Hi Points are a great budget gun. Money is tight for alot of folks these days, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have some protection ;)

8. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never seen one up close.

9. Vidego

Vidego XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had a C-9 that, while reasonably accurate, would not consistanly perform. FTF's, FTL's, FTE's way too many time for me to put any faith in it as even a nightstand gun. Even after replacing the firing pin and springs. Not something I would ever bet my life on, nor for me, was it even a fun range gun.

However, I do have a Hi Point 995TS carbine that I absolutely love. Shooting it is one of the most fun things you can do...with your cloths on! LOL

And their customer service is beyond believable.

10. Buttels

Buttels XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi my first post as a member ! I have a High Point c9 and also an XD sub 9. 2,000 plus rounds thru the HP and zero problems . Only 1,200 truth the XD but zero problems. HP' are in expensive but good shooters . I believe the fixed barel really helps as they are pretty darn accurate. At their price point they are a steal for people who cannot affords to buy a more expensive handgun. They are more than adequate for home defense but too bulky to carry and only weight a tad more than an XD 3.8. I like both my XD and HP !

11. Thunder_God

Thunder_God XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't trust my life with a hi point.

12. Buttels

Buttels XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed! They are a great option for people with limited disposable cash.

13. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Beats a Jennings or Bryco.

There's some nicer options on the surplus market for a little more cash though.

14. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 2
    I have considerable experience with Hi-Points and in my opinion they are POS.

15. singlewhitemale

singlewhitemale XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shot one once, and I was impressed-ish. There was nothing particularly admirable about it aside from the fact that it just worked and hit the target I was pointing it at, every single time I pulled the trigger. I don't have any interest in having one, but for the money it isn't a bad option. When it comes right down to it, I would rather my neighbor have one than none at all.

16. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. microgunner

microgunner XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They sure as hell beat cuss words and a pointy stick and that's about the best thing I can say about them.

18. bunk22

bunk22 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's my opinion, I've never owned a HP handgun and never will. I don't like the looks, I've held one, hate the ergo's and the trigger. However, if I had one and it worked 4.0, meaning I never had issues with it then why not trust it? I did have a Hi-Point 45 ACP carbine and not once did it ever fail. I didn't shoot that many rounds through it, maybe 1200+ but not once did it ever falter. I would have trusted my life to it as a home defense gun because it demonstrated 100% reliable function. Anything mechanical can fail, I had a G19 fail at the range, one shot and it was done. Should I not trust Glocks? I think it's all based on how your personal firearm performs.

19. unclejed

unclejed XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +89 / 1
    They are like a girl I used to know. From a distance she looked fairly ugly, but up close she was really ugly. Great personality though and she didn't sweat as much as most people that heavy.

20. ploeg22

ploeg22 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My dad has one, the thing has never had a ftf or fte and I've hit targets man sized at least 30ft away with good accuracy, they are ugly, they don't have good user friendly controls but when push comes to shove under 200$ you have something to defend yourself when shtf.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk