Short Range Video

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by rohicks, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rohicks

rohicks XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    First couple were decent with my compact mag, then I started missing low with my extended mag. Only 250 rounds through the gun so far. Still learning.... you'll probably have to full screen the video to see where I'm hitting the target. :???: Actually at the end I pull the target into the camera if you want to see the hit areas. The extended mag doesn't feel that comfortable to me yet. Still need more time with it.

Was shooting Winchester target ammo FMJ 230 grain.

As you can (barely) see it's 10 yards out. If you see any problems with my grip don't be afraid to speak up or anything else, and let me know! This was towards the end of the 150 rounds I shot that day so I was getting a little lazy I suppose :lol:

[youtube]4tGAadiGaFU[/youtube]

2. szhttm

szhttm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks good!!!

The only thing I can think of is that you might be anticipating the recoil and squeezing your strong hand grip harder at the point of the shoot, thus causing the firearm arm to point lower.

If you just use your pointing finger on your strong hand and your hand in a shooting format, you can slightly squeeze your other fingers and thumb you may see your pointing finger (trigger finger) slight move also.

Hope that help and keep shooting/practicing.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
    :cool:

3. szhttm

szhttm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Support hand is too low not canted forward enough and you aren't gripping tight enough with the support hand. You should be gripping has hard as possible with the support hand, harder than with the strong hand. This will give you better control of the gun.

5. rohicks

rohicks XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    Thanks everyone.

That's probably true. I feel like I do anticipate it sometimes. The good thing is I feel like i did better than the last time at the range for the first 100 rounds through the gun. Just need more practice.

Thanks I actually keep that chart on my phone so I can reference it when at the range. It's helpful for sure!

You're probably right as well. I haven't had anyone with extensive knowledge teach me proper grip. Most of it has been learned by reading books, reading through these forums, and youtube. I've only been shooting for a couple of years, but I agree with you. My weak hand should be more supportive with better form. Thanks.

6. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Agreed.

He was getting a lot of muzzle flip and had to reposition his support hand a little between shots. Granted it is a little .45.

I used to do the same thing until I began using the thumbs forward grip.

All in all that was not bad shooting though at 10 yards.

7. Speirs68

Speirs68 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks good!!!