Shooting targets made to look like cartoon Obama...?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by tallmanis67, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallmanis67

tallmanis67 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am a bit of an artist and I drew up some cartoonish images to take to the range as a joke for me and my buddies. One of them happens to be of president elect Obama and I am not sure if taking 200 yard shots at his cartoon head will go un-noticed or without incident. Would any of you be pissed or alarmed if you saw some guy taking shots at a cartoon head of our next Dictator ahh I mean ruler dang it..... Prehhh... Preeehhsi..... Presidennnn..... President?

2. T_Bonez

T_Bonez XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think your walking a fine line on this one. I might do it on my own personal property, but probably wouldn't be doing it in public.
    Seems like the risk outweighs the reward here :)

3. TexasXD40

TexasXD40 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not have a problem...but all the other libs out there might...

I say it's freedom of expression...if people can burn flags why cant we burn pictures of Obama or better yet shoot at Obama targets? I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but I certainly think you would be protected by the Constitution in doing so...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. spyderman2k4

spyderman2k4 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't know if I would say alarmed, but I would find it unnecessary, inappropriate, and dare I say- unpatriotic. Like him or not (Lord knows I don't), we're still citizens of this country, and he will be the leader of the country for better or worse. By living here you are agreeing to that, that's your social contract in agreeing to deal with what's going on (according to Hobbes). I may dislike him and hate most of his ideas, plans, and policies, but I still love my country.

5. coyotenator

coyotenator XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    While I am certainly not an admirer of our next president(that has to be the understatement of the decade) ,I still respect the office he will hold ,and I don't think it would be a good idea to shoot him in effigy in a public place like a range.

6. nickb

nickb XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I'm pretty conservative and don't like 99% of what I've heard the guy say.

Until he commits treason and is proven to have done so, I think your targets are a really bad idea.

7. XDConvert9mm

XDConvert9mm XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    I'll go with all the comments above. This is a really bad idea and a great way to get a visit from some very unpleasant but professional people. Why risk it over something this unnecessary? Make an Osama Bin Laden caricature and have at it instead. ;)

8. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    it depends how cartoonish it is.

i would do it in privite but not a public range it "might" be considered a threat on the president. i doubt it would happen but we (gun owners) dont need that bad press.
    or ask the range master if it would be ok and show him the pic, let him know that if its not ok its not a big deal and you just wanted to check with him first to see if it was ok with him. if he says no then leave it at that, if the range master is ok with it then odds are everything would be ok but i sure wouldnt just hang it up and start blasting with his permission

or if anyone asks just say its a picture of your boss at work and you just needed to shoot a drawing of him, this depends on how much it looks like him

just change one thing like adding glasses and it should be ok then since it would be hard for someone to say its obama since he doesnt wear glasses

9. sinistersixguns

sinistersixguns XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    IMO...don't do it.

I knew a person a couple of years ago who got a visit from the secret service. She called in to a local radio station about a week before the President visited her town and posed more of a "what if" question rather than any sort of threat, concerning the President. Apparently somebody thought it was enough of a threat to warrant investigation, because two days later the secret service showed up at her house to "feel her out". Believe me, they take every threatening situation VERY seriously. She did say they were very nice about things after the first few minutes.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you ended up getting a visit concerning your target idea.

Hopefully not.

10. mr1incred1ble

mr1incred1ble XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Don't do it in public unless you want to be detained as a terrorist in one of the many detention centers indefinitely with no lawyer and no legal recourse...

11. TimXD9

TimXD9 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1. Like him or not, Obama is our next President and his office deserves some measure of respect. I think shooting at an Obama cartoon target would bring unwanted attention. I also think it's in poor taste.

If you want to draw a BG to shoot at, how about Kim Jong Il or the president of Iran? Or maybe a Somali pirate? :twisted:

BTW, I think some ranges already sell Bin Laden targets. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  12. BaylorBear57

BaylorBear57 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't do it! honestly it's just plain stupid! how would you like it if someone was shooting at targets drawn like someone in your family? and for one of the comments above it is not even close to being the same as burning a flag. a flag is inanimate! it doesn't breathe! if i burn a flag i'm perceived to be unhappy with the government. if i shoot at obama targets, i'm perceived as wanting to shoot obama...get it? good!

13. Modificationvt

Modificationvt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    not only is it in bad taste, and just asking for an argument at a gun range (some place I never want to end up in a heated debate) I think it is also asking for a visit from secret service...I remember hearing a story recently where a high school student got in trouble for drawing a pic of Obama in crosshairs.

just think what would happen if some one showed up with GW as a garget? (ok maybe a bad example, I dont know how people feel about him here) how a bout McCain? even as the loser of the election that is just asking for problems.

14. larrville

larrville XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  15. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    From what I have heard, a few people have been asking for targets like these at my local gun range. The owner told him that they are not and will not EVER be available, and that if anyone brings them in on their own, they will be removed from the range. I think this is a good policy. Although, I am trying to get as many Sig Sauers in my home as possible, I would rather they not be on the hip of Secret Service agents. I agree with the other posters, here. They guy has been elected to be our President, by a referendum of the people. He hasn't even made a major decision yet. Why the anger? Stick with the Michael Moore and Bin Laden targets.

Unless you want to be wearing Halliburton coveralls, I personally, would skip the whole idea and stick with good old bowling pins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.