Shipping a gun - who, how, where, when and why

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies' started by nalioth, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I have noticed quite a lot of misinformation here about shipping guns. This FAQ should cover all questions.

Only Federal laws are referenced here, you are responsible for knowing your own state and local laws before personally shipping or receiving firearms.

Continued

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0

Only Federal laws are referenced here, you are responsible for knowing your own state and local laws before personally shipping or receiving firearms.

Continued

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0

4. thisismyusername

thisismyusername XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Thanks for posting this!

5. DonXD40

DonXD40 XDTalk 3K Member

Central, New Mexico by way of Amarillo, Texas
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I followed a link here so I did not notice, so, if this is not a sticky, it should be.

6. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Howto Order Guns over the Internet (Auctions, Forums, etc)

Basics​

Just gonna let all of you know about the laws concerning gun buying.

The Internet has made gun trading a lot more accessible, but we still have to follow the laws.

I am only gonna cover the Federal laws and Texas laws. If you live elsewhere, I heartily suggest you look up your local and state laws.

Federal law says you have to be 18 to buy a long gun and 21 to buy handguns and stripped receivers.

So you find a smokin' deal on GunBroker and win the auction. How do you get it into your possession?

How do I get it?​

The foolproof way that everyone is comfortable with is finding a local FFL dealer who will do a transfer for you. All interstate firearm deals must go through an FFL. For INTRAstate, see below.

These dealers can be found here: GunBroker.com FFL Holder Network You may also call your local pawn shop and ask them if they do transfers and what they charge (I personally dislike this method, but ultimately it is up to the concerned parties).

A dealer may charge you a fee for receiving the transferring the firearm to you. Any fee depends on the dealer.

You contact the seller of the auction you win, and get his address or his dealers address. You go down to your chosen transfer dealer and have him send their FFL info to that person or dealer. Once they receive this, they will ship the firearm to your dealer. Depending on how it is shipped, you may be informed of any tracking numbers, etc. This is between you and the seller. When your firearm arrives, you'll visit your local FFL dealer, fill out the 4473 and pay the transfer fee. Enjoy your new acquisition.

If you are dealing with a non-licensed individual, more and more FFL holders are not wanting to give out actual copies of their FFL to private citizens. You may opt to have the your FFL give you their first 3 and last 5 number sets off their license: X - XX -xxx-xxxx-xxxx- XXXXX This will allow the seller to visit [ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&hs=SZ1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ffl+ez+check&spell=1]FFL Ez Check[/ame] for verification. The seller can print out that page and write down his weapons serial number and make and model for their records. This printout can also be taken along to the shipping agent, to verify that "Yes, it is indeed going to a licensed dealer." (not always necessary, but better to be prepared than make two trips).

No matter if you get an actual copy or just the number set, ALWAYS VERIFY WITH EZ CHECK. There are way too many idjits out there with photoshop and fancy printers.

Long guns and stripped receivers may go US Mail, UPS, FedEx, or other method. Handguns must ship overnight, except between FFL holders (this is why it is sometimes cheaper to have your handgun sent from an FFL holder.).

Intrastate sales (depends upon your local state laws - read them)​

Here in Texas, it is legal for adult residents over 18 to sell/trade/give any legal firearm to each other w/o a dealer transfer. The buyer must be legally able to possess firearms. In Texas, you can own handguns at 18, you just can't buy them from an FFL dealer.
    This includes shipping firearms inside Texas. You can legally ship a rifle or shotgun in the US Mail to another Texas resident legally able to own a firearm. Handguns must ship overnight (no US Mail), but can still be shipped directly to another Texan.

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. All of these laws are available for viewing on the internet and have been quoted and linked on many gun forums.

7. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Just a comment on the "overnight" issue. This not a law, rather a policy of the common carriers like UPS & FedEx.

8. James Alex

James Alex XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd say get a couple of spray cans of Auto paint.
    A gray body paint and a top coat.
    Sand it with fine wet and dry paper first.

9. MFE

MFE XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Maybe more people would read the sticky if it weren't posted in 6000 point type.

10. gocubs6

gocubs6 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At least my grandma will be able to read this.

11. ScXd9

ScXd9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    very helpful thanks

12. kabob

kabob XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can a mod or admin PLEASE reformat that first post into a normal sized font. It's giving me a headache trying to read it.

13. smencinias

smencinias XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1

what?

14. WcpSpanky

WcpSpanky XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for posting this!

15. Master17

Master17 XDTalk Member