Share Your Accidental Discharge Stories!

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by 3rdgeargrndrr, Jan 14, 2012.

1. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    deleted

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. mkmsr

mkmsr XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This could be a good/educational thread as long as who feel they are perfect don't screw it up. We all should be able to admit we've done dumb stuff.

3. Lundy

Lundy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Really?:rolleyes:

4. loonybin

loonybin XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You might want to rename the thread to "share your negligent discharge stories" Accidental discharges are things like "I set my gun on the shelf of my safe and the internal safety failed causing my gun to fire and put a hole in my safe and wall." Having a finger in the triggerguard is not accidental.

I've had one negligent discharge with a gun, and it scared me so bad that I'm a bit paranoid with guns now (in a healthy way). I killed our TV shortly after I bought my HS2000 (that tells you how long ago it was). I had loaded the gun the night before, and decided to practice field stripping the gun the next day. I locked the slide back but forgot to take the magazine out. After flipping the takedown lever, I dropped the slide (thus chambering another round), took aim at the television in the corner of the house, and pulled the trigger. Needless to say the ringing in my ears was a surprise, and it took me a second to figure out why Danny DeVito disappeared from my TV screen (how did that hole get there?). I felt very sick after that.

5. fmfdocsci

fmfdocsci XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    It was the night of my high school prom over 35 yrs ago........

Needless to say my rented tux had to be dry cleaned.

6. Levelheadsteve

Levelheadsteve XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL

7. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 1
    LMAO!!! :D

Ummm, No Sir, everybody has not had one.

8. Medic738

Medic738 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not had one but reading others stories had made me paranoid about it.

9. TX-Kevin

TX-Kevin XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    No. Not everyone. There is nothing funny about an AD/ND. People die from them. People are maimed from them. People are scarred for life (not just physically either).

ETA: I sincerely hope you are really not that flippant about AD/NDs. If you are that flippant about it, I sincerely hope you are not a CWP/CHP/CHL holder that carries on a regular basis. Safety should be paramount in everything a person does when doing anything with any kind of weapon.

10. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    this

Agree ^^^^

Look, IM not trying to be harsh, but marginalizing negligent discharges is a bad idea,

it's NOT ok

It's NOT funny, ever

It is ALWAYS an error,
    It is ALWAYS a serious shooter mistake to be taken seriously and learned from

God forbid, if ANY shooter ever has two of them, he/she should never shoot again as far as Im concerned

11. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +181 / 1
    An AD is extremely rare, and almost always involves an equipment failure. They are almost all Negligent Discharges. Negligence with firearms is criminal, not a joke.

12. turbosupra1313

turbosupra1313 XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +380 / 11
    Bought a "brand new" Springfield micro compact 1911, in box, from a gun store we auctioned. Carried it for 2 months after running it through my 100 rounds carry ammo with no issues. Sat it on my night stand as I did every night. Went to grab my water, water hit it (I know it never should have been that close) and fell off. I went to lean over the bed real fast to try to grab it (I can beat gravity you know.....) and it hit the ground on the hammer and shot straight up nearly missing my face with hollow points. About crapped myself, and when I finally had the nerves to handle it again was to take it apart and send it to SA. Got on the phone and told them what happened. They called me later on and told me that all the internals were tampered with and safeties removed and altered, etc. I understand that I should have checked them all myself, but when you buy something thinking its brand new, you expect this has all been done by the manufacturer. Come to discover that the son of the shop owner was a tinkerer, and this was one of his projects. End of story. Took me mons before I could carry it comfortably.

AD/ND are never funny. Had I been a second quicker someone else would be telling you this story.

SAFETY FIRST. My finger was nowhere near the trigger, and I still almost killed myself. I take half the responsibility for knocking it over, and the guy who should take the other half will never know it happened.

Check your weapons EVERY time. Every time. Every every every every time. No excuses. It can be your life, or someone else's.

13. xDonald

xDonald XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've personally never had a AD/ND, and God forbid I ever have one. :)
    But I was at the gun room where the lanes are immediately viewable from the cashier stand. As I was checking out we (cashier/range officer, some other patrons, etc) hears a more than normal loud BANG! The type of bangs were it sounded like it was fired too close to the glass/Plexiglas. We all turn and look.... we see a guy staring back as if he just made a doodie in his pants :what:. The RO walked over to make sure nobody was injured and had a quick inquiry with what happened.

RO came back with the story that the guy was dry firing to release the firing pin (slide action type pistol) :sly:, not realizing it was still loaded. The guy was putting his pistol away to pack up. The only damage was a divot in the linoleum tiles, exposing the cement foundation.

The guy kept saying "oh my gosh I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry it was an accident! I'm sorry!"
    He wasn't reprimanded so far as I know. Didn't seem like the range was going to charge him for the damage either.

My learning from that incident... don't EVER but never dry fire by assumption - must do the physical and visual twice or more. :cool:

:p sorry for being long winded. Just wanted to put you in the scene.

Sent from TapaAtrix

14. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 2
    I would have sued him into the next millenium. I think I would have gotten a new gun.

as someone thats been shot by one, not funny.

That said I've had an ND and an AD, AD, pulled trigger on first deer, nothing on safe, flipped safety (still pointed at deerish) and it fired, trigger bar got stuck on safety, apparently the "smith" messed up and no one had ever pulled the trigger with a live round in there with it on safe so in 20 years no one ever figured it out... and some people make fun of me for function testing. I missed my first deer. :-?

I shot a 180 lb hog at 30 ish feet with a 22 it bolted, I took two steps chasing it and fell hard, hit rocks, pulled trigger on impact, again rifle pointed in direction of pig, only endangerment was due to possible ricochets (stuff came off the ground in front of me) I was 11 or so at the time. Funny part was first round hit its heart, it made it 12 feet no reason to chase it at all I did hit it 7 times before I started following it, tasted great too.

15. partdeux

partdeux XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wife was setting her XDM9 down on the table at the range and it AD. Scared the hell out of both of us. The best we could figure out, she had her thumb on the safety and the booger finger on the bang stick. Business end pointed down range, so no foul, but what a wake up call!