Sentry Safe Electronic Keypad problem

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by XD2005, Jan 17, 2009.

1. XD2005

XD2005 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a G7311 (| Sentry® Safe | G7311 Gun Safe) gun safe. It's obviously more of a "cabinet" than "safe," but serves it's purpose (so we can avoid the comments of "you should get a better safe" or "you asked for it by buying that") and I understand that. At this point in my life and collection, it's all I really need.

Now, with all that said, I purchased it a couple weeks ago, about a week ago the electronic keypad stopped opening the door (it worked fine before). It does have a key override, so I can still get in, but not by using the electronic keypad.

The keypad is obviously getting power, as the green and red lights work, appropriately (if I push a number, the green light comes on. If I input the correct code, the green light comes on. If I input the wrong code, the red light comes on). So, I know it's getting power.

I called and talked with Sentry and they believed it could be the battery pack/wires had a problem, so they sent me out a new battery pack and wires. I replaced those and am still having the same problem.

At this point, I believe the problem is either the circuit board or the unlocking mechanism. Anyone have this problem before and know the remedy?

I will be requesting Sentry send me a new circuit board (fat chance of that I am guessing) and/or a new locking mechanism (not sure the actual name of the component) and see if that works. I really don't see how it could be anything else (except possibly the keypad itself). So all-in-all, three possible components.

Since the model is discontinued, I purchased the last one at the store. Sure, I could take it back, but then I'd have to unbolt it and drag it back to the store, and I would have to get something else. For now, I'm actually okay with the safe, I just want it working again and there's only so many components that can go back, so I figure I could just as easily fix it.

Thank you.

2. steve66

steve66 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also there may be a lock out feature where if you try the wrong combo a certain amount of times it disarms the keyboard for a few minutes. Try resetting the code, even though the lights are working. also cycle the locking mechanism with the key a few times

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. XD2005

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The code is hard-coded at the factory. You can also create new additional codes, which I tried doing, but still did not work. (code worked, just didn't open the door)

4. plinker

plinker XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Soliniod is most likely shot. Tell me, is it a LG keypad?
    When mine went out, it locked me out of the safe and mine didn't have a key-override. Cool feature!!

5. XD2005

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I agree, I have a feeling the solenoid is the problem. Looks like an easy switch-out, now I just need to convince them to send me a new one.

To be honest, I'm not sure which keypad it is.

6. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Never mind--reading is key. :p

7. steve66

steve66 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can get to the solenoid, try playing with the connection, maybe its a loose connection. Also, try to bypass the keypad to check the solenoid. you can probably use a 9v battey to check the solenoid. Place one solenoid lead to the + on the 9v and the other lead on the - of the 9v, see what happens. If nothing then switch the leads still nothing? its the solenoid. If it works its the keypad or something between the keypad and the solenoid thats bad. I dont have your safe but it seems that most safes operate the same way.

Hope this helps ..good luck

8. XD2005

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Got to the solenoid and took it out. I tried testing with the battery pack from the safe and it didn't appear to be working, so I assume that is the problem. Thank you!

I'll see if I can get a replacement sent out next week.