Sentry safe. Do you have one?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by dasanii19, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
  2. vmo

vmo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got basically the same safe with a combination lock instead. I did a lot of research before I purchased, and decided against the digital based on the feedback received. I bought the canon brand at Academy Sports for $475. Same size and weighs about 400 lbs.

vmo

3. jbrodsky

jbrodsky XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    have you guys seen this video? they show how easy it is to break into a sentry type safe. I don't know if it's bogus or not but see for your self

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JNmaNPf88

I checked out the sentry safes at wally world during hunting season... one was dented and the doors rattled on all of them. They just seem crappy to me... and after watching that video I don't think I'd get one.

I'm looking at Liberty safes... seem to offer better quality for just under 1k

4. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you bolt down your safe its going to be a lot harder to pry it open as you wont be able to exert the same leverage/force to open the safe with a crowbar. Also, 99% of the thieves are not going to bring all these tools in with them to open a safe, unless they know you have one and are set on taking your guns. 99% of you thieves are going to be quick grab and run types looking for jewelry, tvs, dvd players, computers, etc. Don't sweat the small stuff. I just bought a $400 Sentry safe that is not fireproof, but I have a sprinkler head right above it. Also, they are much safer than under my bed or hidden in the closet. Even a $1000 safe can easily be broken into if laid on its back and with the proper tools.

5. Lazarus

Lazarus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    +1. I cant believe the guy actually puts any merit into that whole thing when he laid the safe on the floor. Like get real.

6. rlh2005

rlh2005 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Remember, it's a marketing video by a company that sells higher end safes. Of course, they're going to skew it to their message.

And, the video probably targets non-firearms and other less security knowledgeable people. It's not that unlikely such people would put the safe in a closet and not bolt it down. It wouldn't take much for a smaller safe to be man-handled to the center of the room to be opened.

7. dasanii19

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    This particulal 24 gun Sentry safe states "pry resistant" and also has 5 steel live-locking bolts and 3 dead bolts .

8. EricCartmann

EricCartmann XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the video that that particuliar safe appears to have very shallow dead bolts... and what happend to the dead bolt on the bottom? Looks like they sawed it off before beginning. The Sentry Safe I saw at Home Depot had dead bolts that went a lot deeper than that and it also had dead bolts on the bottom.

Lastly, who the hell puts their safe on the floor in a wide open area? Or was their point that you should bolt down your safe so the BG's can't put it on the floor? Did you see those crow bars and how big they were? That's a lot of leverage that was needed and only possible with a big crow bar, lots of room so the guy can use his body for leverage, no top or bottom dead bolts, and shallow dead bolts.

9. dasanii19

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    + 1. Well I said the hell with it and bought that 24 gun Sentry safe I linked to at the top of this thread. It was on clearance for $399. Its going into a small walk in closet, bolted to the floor. For $399 I dont think I could have done any better,what do you think?:D oh yea I had a $100 gift card on top of it so I actually got the safe for $300. They always say to buy 2 or 3 times the capacity then what you have so I think this safe fits my needs pretty well. To me the specs on this safe look great.

Ill snap some shots in a bit for you all if you care to see? :D Im pretty excited.

Das~

10. jim331656

jim331656 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know that seemed pretty hard to me. if this safe was bolted to the floor in a corner it would have been impossible to get the leaverage to open it. And this safe didn't have bolts that go in all 4 sides.

11. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  12. tracker366

tracker366 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have found the one rule you sould always go by when buying a safe. go bigger then you need.(alot bigger)

13. dasanii19

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well I have 5 long guns and 5 hand guns.. Its a 24 gun safe, would you say thats a decent amount of space left over?

14. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah they say take the number and divide by 2, so you should expect to fit 12 long guns, roughly. Also, teh 5 handguns can go on teh back of the door in special holster thingies..

15. dasanii19

Ratings:
    +7 / 0