Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by booseman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. booseman

booseman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will list what I am planning on getting with all the options and a total price. I would really appreciate some feed back as to whether it is a good deal and with good equipment. This will be a multi usage gun: plinking, target and HD. From everything I have read on here and on other forums it is always better to DIY, so to say. The way I am looking at I believe that I will get more bang for the buck. So enough with the jibber jabber and here it goes.

Del-Ton 16" M4 rifle kit with a Chrome lined 1:7 twist (UPDATED)
    YHM ML Ext. Diamond Free Float Tube
    BCG (from BCM) (UPDATED)
    Phantom Aggressive end comp/brake
    YHM Front gas block w/flip up sights (UPDATED)
    Standard lower parts Charging handle w/Badger Tac Latch
    M4 Feed ramps (Standard now no extra charge)
    Magpul MIAD pistol grip (Dark Earth)
    Magpul polymer trigger guard (Dark Earth)
    Magpul Mil-Spec CTR buttstock (Dark Earth)
    Magpul MOE (RVG) Rail Vertical Grip (Dark Earth)
    Magpul XT full length rail panels (Dark Earth)
    Ten (10) 30 round PMAGS (Dark Earth)
    Spike's Tactical stripped lower receiver (UPDATED)

I will put everything together myself (I hope). I have looked at numerous manufacturers for lowers, uppers and full rifles, but this is, I think, an amazing deal for what I am getting.

So on to what I am guessing everyone is wondering, WHAT IS THE PRICE..............

$1010 no FFL fee for a grand total of $1010! You also get a discount from Del-Ton if you are a member of AR15.com and have an account with them (UPDATED)

Now I ask you to give me your opinions and thoughts whether that is truly a good deal and good equipment?:idea::idea:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have 2 "custom" DTI uppers and they are every bit as good as BCM...but the rest of BCM parts are superior.

A couple of questions for you:

Why pin/weld the muzzle break? If it was a 14.5" I would understand, but in LA your 16" is good without being welded.

Are you sure you really want a heavy bbl? They make the AR very front heavy, I would stick with the M4 profile IMHO.

Chrome BCG- I recommend you go with the BCM auto carrier, it is as good as it gets.

Badger Tac-latch- Go with the BCM Gunfighter CH, half the price.
    BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle for AR-15, M16, M4

A2 front sight- In the comment block when you order your upper, tell them you want a F-marked front sight. It is no extra charge and it will be the proper height for a flat top AR. DTI should do this automatically IMO but they don't.

FYI-Buffer tube- If you are going to order the mil-spec size CTR stock you can't use it with a DTI tube. DTI uses commercial size receiver extensions. BCM sales mil-spec at a reasonable price.

Good luck and post pics when your done!

3. hikeeba

hikeeba XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The first thing that jumps out at me is: Why do you need to have a pinned & welded muzzle device on a 16" barrel? State law?

Many will argue that you can certainly get a better rifle for $1100, but you are getting a lot of extras in that package. If you're happy with it, I see nothing really wrong with the package. I have two Del-Ton complete uppers, and have been please with them, as well as with Del-Ton's Customer Service.

Just for comparison:

Spike's Tactical ST-15 Mid-Length LE carbine - $809.95. Add a CTR stock and 10 30-rd PMAGS = $1048.95 before FFL fee and shipping. Chart-friendly, but has no free-float hand guard or other Magpul furniture.

Daniel Defense M4V3 - $1149 before FFL fee at BudsGunShop (w/ free shipping). Includes Magpul MOE stock and DD vertical grip.

Here is one of my Del-Ton uppers on a lower I built. I think I have about $960 in this rifle as pictured:
    [​IMG]
    Del-Ton complete upper, 1:9, chrome lined, M4 ramps, YHM Lightweight HG, YHM 5C2 hider/comp, YHM flip sight gas block, standard BCG, standard charging handle with Badger Tac Latch.
    MATECH rear BUIS
    DPMS stripped lower
    DPMS LPK
    Commercial M4 stock assembly
    Tango Down QD stubby

I built this one from the ground up for $1160 in parts:
    [​IMG]
    Superior Barrels Amynta 16.1" Recce barrel with Hard Blue (1:7, .223 Wylde chamber) and matched bolt
    Superior Barrels Improved NM A2 flash hider
    Daniel Defense bolt carrier
    YHM A3 upper receiver, Specter gas block, Lightweight 12" HG
    Bravo company Gunfighter CH
    Troy fixed front and rear Battlesights
    DPMS stripped lower
    DPMS LPK
    Bill Springfield 3# trigger job
    DPMS ambi selector
    MOE trigger guard
    A1 stock assembly

$1100 can go a long way in the AR-15 world. It boils down to what is important to you. For a plinking/target/fun rifle, the Del-Ton kit package you listed should serve you well.

4. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should mention I have the Full MIAD grip in FDE. I really love it...but... the rear portion of the grip kept sliding off and I had to epoxy it on. So my last 2 builds I put the MOE grip on, same feel, less money. I do like the Magpul trigger guard on the full grip, but I will just buy the guard separately.

Here is my DTI upper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4150 steel
    [​IMG]

M4 feedramps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Phantom Mid-Evil break
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. booseman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The reason I am going with that set-up is because in order to get the 1:7 twist in the mid-length, not the M4, It has to be the heavy barrel. From everything I have read and seen it is better to get the mid-length than the M4. The M4 version is typically more harsh because it supposed to be shorter. Now if the "M4" version that Del-Ton sells is actually a 16" barrel and not a 14.5" then it might not be a problem. I will have to call Del-Ton to confirm. It is a little difficult though because I am in Iraq and there is a big time diff. As for the CTR stock I will have to change that to a commercial grade instead of Mil-Spec. If I dont need to go with a pinned & welded muzzle break then I will save the money.

As a side note: If you are a member of ar15.com and you send Del-Ton a PM they will give you an extra 10% off. So now I will be able to get a little more off my purchase price.

6. booseman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I completely agree with what you said about higher end riffles for around $1100 but they will not come with near as many extras. Since this will be my first build and first AR I think this is a great "First Time Buyer" gun. Like buying a house, start with something smaller and less expensive so you realize the actual cost of ownership. When I looked at others and added all the extra "toys" that I would want on the gun it came out much higher. The great thing about Del-Ton is I can customize it right on there website and not piece it out through multiple. That saves time and money when you only have to deal with one seller. IMHO

I really did consider DDM4 but after adding all the options it was way more than the Del-Ton. There is a really good read in the Nov issue of Guns & Weapons for law enforcement about both Daniel Defense and Del-Ton.

7. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    well i have the YHM diamond free float and i love them!

8. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I spent many yrs in Iraq, Taji, Mosul, Tall-Afar, and Tikrit. Since you are there you know that there is nothing wrong with the carbine gas system. Is the mid length softer and easier on the action... Sure... Big deal IMHO.

I have 4 carbine gas rifles and they work just fine. My Dad has a heavy barrel carbine and the balance is terrible! I hate it...YMMV.

Put a BCM BCG in your carbine gas rifle and you will be set for years of trouble free service.

The BCG is the HEART of the rifle, do not skimp on quality there.

9. booseman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, those handguards are sick looking!! They are just pure sexiness!!

10. booseman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I should just get the upper without the BCG and order one from BCM? Should I get the chrome lined BCG or not? I realize that the CL only makes it easier to clean but also adds some life....

11. redyak3

redyak3 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looking good, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, they all can't be wrong...
    Here's another option for a bcg, G&R. I have no complaints with mine. Of course, the "high dollar" bcgs look real interesting... YNM and FailZero. A milspec tube and a 50% VLTOR Modstock from BCM is worth consideration...
    Good Luck and stay safe

12. Deadcenter

Deadcenter XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Hrm ... my MIAD came with a roll-pin to semi-permanently attach the rear part of the grip ... maybe this is a new development?

I only got it last month.

13. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is what I did, a mil-spec BCG (BCM is one of them) will be partially CL. The 9130 steel and shop peening is more important IMHO than a CL BCG, it is your call.

There are advantages to a middy, I am not denying it. I am simply questioning the advantage over the HUGE (IMO) disadvantage of a heavy bbl.

If I where to buy a new upper, I would buy the 14.5 (+perm FH) mid length BCM upper.

Half of my carbines are 14.5, and my work horse 14.5 Bushy is my favorite. It doesn't have all the 'Right' specs, but it is the proverbial sewing machine. It has a mil-spec auto w/ xtra pwr extractor spring BCG, forged CH and upgraded buffer spring. Runs all day long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got mine a few yrs back... it only had a plastic clip on the bottom...errr... maybe I never installed the pin??

15. Deadcenter

Deadcenter XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    it goes right here :cool:

[​IMG]