Springfield XD Forum banner

Seeking Perfection

4K views 63 replies 26 participants last post by  HodgePodge 
#1 ·
I picked up a brand spanking new Glock 22 Gen 4 yesterday. It's the first gun I've bought that I haven't been excited about. I don't hate Glocks, I just don't shoot them well. Unfortunately, it's the only weapon my department approves for uniformed officers. Since I'm really particular about people handling my weapon, I chose to purchase one. I don't want an armory mystery that's been passed around.

I shoot the Glocks well enough to qualify, but I damn sure won't be winning the top gun award anytime soon. If I shoot the same course of fire with pretty much any other full-size pistol I get good, tight groups. Nothing stellar, but not embarrassing either. With the Glock, it looks like I fired a 12GA from 40 yards out. While drunk.

Anyone else had a problem with a certain weapon? Any tips, tricks or advice from the Glock flock?

#3 ·
The only problems I have had with my Glock 22 (Gen 4 also) is keeping it fed lol. In fact, I think it will be going to the range this afternoon...nothing else to do when the high is around freezing.

Like OKcherokee said, practice. It took me awhile to get used to shooting Glocks. Now I love them.

Edit: Did I just admit to being a Glock fanboy??? :lol:

#10 ·
I guess best bet is to practice, practice, practice. and don't forget dry fire! Do as much dry fire to get used to the trigger and grip angle as you can. It's really the only way to develop proficiency with a new type of platform. One thing that has helped me is to cant my support hand/wrist down a little bit. It helps tighten my groups with my Glocks, and it was a trick an instructor of mine taught me.

Every gun platform is different and has its own quirks. Glocks are no different. But with enough dry practice and live fire as well you can develop proficiency.

#21 ·
I am one of the few that simply don't shoot Glocks well. People can tell you that you just need to train more, all they want, but I have put thousands of rounds down range with Glocks, and tried everything that I had been instructed. Eventually selling them. Groups were tight, but always high and to the left. I attribute it to the grip angle. I can pick up most other handguns, out of the box, and hit the red.

To each their own. I am happy for all of those out there that can just pick up a Glock and hit red. Glocks are great guns. Just not great for me.

#25 ·
It is the grip angle. One reason you might be shooting high is that you're gripping and shooting like its a 1911 style grip. Glock people kept telling me i was holding the gun wrong and i never understood what they meant because i could tell no difference in the way they were holding it. If you are gripping it right the nose of the gun will look and feel like you are pointing down or lower than you normally would. I also found that once i made that slight adjustment the gun felt more comfortable in my hand. I didn't suffer from Glock knuckle. At least that was my experience.

#22 ·
I am not a cop but I can get pretty decent center mass groups with my ratty old 1996 made Glock 22.

Your best teacher will be a case of 40SW ammo.

Also remember...the Glock 22 was DESIGNED as a duty pistol...not a Camp Perry bullseye pistol or a match grade paper puncher.

For what it is designed to do...I'd say the Glock 22 does it pretty well. I also bet that the more you use it...the more you will like it.

#24 ·
I picked up a brand spanking new Glock 22 Gen 4 yesterday. It's the first gun I've bought that I haven't been excited about. I don't hate Glocks, I just don't shoot them well. Unfortunately, it's the only weapon my department approves for uniformed officers. Since I'm really particular about people handling my weapon, I chose to purchase one. I don't want an armory mystery that's been passed around.

I shoot the Glocks well enough to qualify, but I damn sure won't be winning the top gun award anytime soon. If I shoot the same course of fire with pretty much any other full-size pistol I get good, tight groups. Nothing stellar, but not embarrassing either. With the Glock, it looks like I fired a 12GA from 40 yards out. While drunk.

Anyone else had a problem with a certain weapon? Any tips, tricks or advice from the Glock flock?
I would add a drop-in Lone Wolf Barrel and that might improve accuracy...made a difference in my G21.

#32 ·
When I started doing this, is when I decided to sell the Glocks. couldnt hit the swingers, coke cans, or oranges....without compensating low and to the right. Severely annoying. I love tossing the reactive targets down range and making them dance. with the Glocks, dirt was flying, but not much dancing going on.

#43 ·
The teasing of Glock owners aside I pretty much agree with you 100%. I've never been a great shot with Glock's, or at least I've been better with others. In your case all you can do is practice.

#46 ·
I shoot them well enough...I've always qualed on the first go round. I kick ass with the sim Glocks in the shoot house. Made an instructor tap out because I put 8-10 sim rounds in a 4" square center of his chest. Holy S#!+!!! Just had a light bulb moment - I take on a hardcore Iso stance in shoot houses. We watched video playback of a scenario and I was surprised at how much of a tool I looked like. It's ugly, but it's what I go to when stressed and it's effective. I don't get that into it when shooting at paper. Guess I'm going to look like a tryhard tool when I take it to the range.

#53 ·
@DevJames I now have spit Dr. Pepper on the coffee table...well played sir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.