Screwed over by Cabela's, but I still love my XD

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by JesterMasque, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JesterMasque

JesterMasque XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, I got my XD .45 Tactical a little while ago and something has been REALLY bugging me.

I took my time picking my pistol and decided I wanted the Tactical .45. When the day came, the only store that had it with the side safety was Cabela's. I realized I couldn't get it THAT day because they were just too busy to help me in a timely manner. I went back and asked for the same gun, but it sold and they had two left: one without the safety and another that they "couldn't find in inventory."

Not wanting to wait a month or more for a special order (how long they and another store said), nor did want to wait on chance on their incoming inventory, I bought the one without the extra safety. I wait my two days and return to pick up my pistol. Upon my arrival I look in the glass case and, low and behold, there is an XD. 45 Tactical w/ side safety! I ask them for an exchange because I had not technically taken possession of the pistol, but they said I officially took ownership when I purchased it. They had no deliveries since my purchase date which means the one in the glass case was the one "lost in inventory."

Since then, I have asked some people, read up on some laws, and I realized that they lied to me screwed me into buying something less than what I wanted for the sake of being too lazy to do an exchange. Please don't say that I "could've been more patient" because with the terms I was offered I wasn't willing to wait that long (as they left me an open time frame since those models were "back-ordered" at the time).

So now, I'm probably stuck, unless I could find someone who wants to trade for one without the extra safety. I know there are those of you who prefer to carry DA only hot without an extra safety to worry about...

I'm pissed, and I really had to vent because I've been thinking about it a lot lately, but I still love the hell out of my XD .45 Tactical. No other pistol in it's price range shot or fit so well while in my hands (the next step would've been a USP or HK .45). I find that Remington shoots most consistent out of it, but in a pinch I like PMC also. Aguila is just nasty for post-range cleanup.

Well, that's my rant about how much I never want to shop at Cabela's ever again. Questions? Comments? Trade offers? =D

2. ac guy

ac guy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm confused. You ended up with the one you originally wanted???

3. JesterMasque

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hahaha, sorry! I meant the glass display case, not the carrying case. I'll edit that...

4. 84jeep

84jeep XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off, i like Cabelas, order a bunch of stuff from them, rarely not stop when passing the store, but on the other hand i probably would never buy a gun from them.

Horrible service at the gun counter, salesmen who are not educated at all but speak out their *ss instead of just saying "i don't know".

People are lazy and you suffered, they should have tried to make the customer happy.

5. XDMan07

XDMan07 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So you haven't picked up the gun our took possession of it yet and they didn't want to exchange it? I would of ask to speak to a manager. But if you took the pistol home already then i doubt they will exchange it because they would have to sell it as a used gun.

I have a 45 acp with thumbsafety and a few other xds without. After owning and handling the other xds i could very well live without a thumb safety. As the back strap safety is adequate enough.

6. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    You are going to be glad you didn't get the thumb safety after you find out how worthless they are.

7. JesterMasque

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, it was at the time that I went to take possession, so I had not taken it home. And I believe it was a manager that I was speaking to (who was also dealing with 20 other people on a weekend at the gun counter).

And I agree, Cabela's is a great place for outdoor gear, but I'm never purchasing firearms there again. It was like a chore to get help at the counter and the staff acted like it was as well.

8. JesterMasque

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It just reminds me of my dad's 1911 that I shot for so many years before buying this pistol of my own. I fell in love with the feel of the XD when renting it because that particular model had the thumb safety and it has just been habit to unlock the slide before shooting. I still find myself reaching for it when I aim down range only to find nothing there. Plus, it's been a little awkward for my weak thumb as I used to rest it on the grip for the safety on the 1911.

9. XDMan07

XDMan07 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sure like other member said that your current gun will slowly grow on you. I don't even use the thumb-safety on my 45 service since handling my other XDs-XDM. It might throw me off some day since my others xds-xdm don't have them. I really liked it at first but then it faded away since i bought another other xd-xdm platforms that do not have the thumbsafety option.

10. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    It most likely would've been way cheaper to have bought one online an have it shipped to an FFL. I'll never buy at gun a the two big outdoor stores. At the Pearland BPS last August they had their XDm 45 priced at about $980! You could almost buy 2 XD's for that much.

11. Thunder71

Thunder71 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My take, you bought the gun and signed the paperwork - done deal. If it wasn't the gun you wanted you shouldn't have bought it - not like it's a rare once in a lifetime gun to get.

Now you're pissed at Cabela's because you bought a gun... Did they force the money out of your wallet and forge your signature?

Alternative scenario - "Here's my name and number, when one with the slide safety comes in please put my name on it and give me a call."

12. lilblkgun

lilblkgun XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear Cabela's done that to ya! I've never been to a cabelas but have done alot of mail ordering from them and always got what i wanted. They could have exchanged it for you before you left the store but it sounds like they either didn't want to be bothered with the (little) extra work or they didn't know what to do. But look at it this way you now have a xd45 and you're love it!

13. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Poor whiny baby. This is not a problem with Cabelas. This is YOUR problem. You bought a gun you really didn't want. Stupid is as stupid does.

You filled out the paperwork. You paid the money. You passed the background check. In a Free state you would have been out the door with your pistol in hand. You might have gone into the store a few days later and seen the other model. Would you then have expected them to do the exchange then?

The gun was in YOUR name when the waiting period started. I'm pretty sure it's plainly stated company policy that they don't exchange firearms.

I'm sure that Cabelas won't miss your whiny butt not coming into the store anymore.

14. fritzmeister

fritzmeister XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Whenever I have left my name & number, they have never gotten back to me. From any store. :???:

FWIW, I think that the OP will be more han happy with his thumb safetyless XD. :D

15. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Shoot it every week for 2 months, and you will be glad there is no thumb safety. They just annoy me now.