Scope advice

Discussion in 'Optics and Glass' started by Gatorjoe, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Gatorjoe

Gatorjoe XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought my first rifle, a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. It came with a cheap scope, it seems ok at 3-6x magnification, but out at 9 it's terrible, way too tight to see clearly.

So, I was looking at a Burris full field 4.5-14x-42. It's around $300. I don't have that kind of money at the moment, but I'm ok with waiting and using the current scope at 3x if I can't accomplish what I want.

What I was hoping for was some advice.... I can spend about $150 right now to upgrade, or wait to get something better in that $300 range. Should I wait and get the Burris or another $300 scope or is there something out there that will work well at the $150 range.

What I'll be doing with the gun at the moment is punching paper, between 25 yards at the indoor range and possibly as far as 600 yards at my buddies ranch.
    Eventually, I will be hunting with the rifle, elk most likely, possibly deer as well.

2. hemisphere2

hemisphere2 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm saving for The Burris Eliminator 3 for hunting.....pretty pricey though!

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Optics are one of those areas where you tend to get what you pay for as you see from the scope you have. "Buy Once, Cry Once" applies as many of the lower end scopes suffer from durability, clarity, and consistency issues. I imagine that the durability of a lower end scope will definitely be an issue on a 300WM. I'd save up as much as you can rather than going with what you have at the moment. There are some decent scopes avaiable from SWFA, Bushnell, and others in the $300 range that will work fine on a hunting rifle.

4. Gatorjoe

Gatorjoe XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @hemisphere... That scope cost over 3x as much as my gun...

@dirtyrod, thanks. I guess I'll be saving up for a month or two and get in a better price range.

5. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You will be glad you did. Don't forget to get a good base and rings. A good scope won't be of any benefit if the mounts won't hold it steady.

Not uncommon. The scope on my bolt gun is almost 3 times what I paid for the rifle. Lots of folks on the firing line in that situation.

6. civicjoe

civicjoe XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah that sounds about right,
    i picked up a vortex optics scope, super pleased with it, great picture thru it as well and a fantastic warranty