Scarry people getting CCW

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by Lefty Trigger, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I hang out and shoot at my local range every weekend and have been there many times on Saturday during the CCW classes. I have noticed that a vast amount of people taking the class should not even own a firearm let alone get a permit to hide one! Peeking in the range a lot of them (men included) cant even hit the paper target at 7yds. The instructor told me there was one guy that brought a .380 pistol to the class and 9mm ammo for it. There was a lady that has been ejected from the class 4 times for turning around to ask questions on the range and pointing her gun at other people while doing so. Scary stuff.......

2. Mar 12, 2017 #2
    Jpatrick247

Jpatrick247 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    I witnessed some scary stuff during my CC class. It was clear who wasn't paying any attention during the range instructions portion of the classroom time. There were several people who couldn't hit the target at all at seven yards with a .22. One person pointed the barrel at an instructor's leg and then on two different occasions swept herself and others with the muzzle when benching the firearm.

3. Mar 12, 2017 #3
    Eiger5

Eiger5 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 1
    CCW class shouldn't be the starting point. I wish people with no knowledge of firearms would start with a firearms basic class that stresses safe handling and marksmanship basics. I would be concerned with why they are letting that lady back in the class after four dumb s%#t moves.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mar 13, 2017 #4
    Acheron2010

Acheron2010 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2,245 / 10
    Wish they would bring back the safety courses I had in high school.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mar 13, 2017 #5
    Bayern

Bayern XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Scary people with CCWs? What about a female Police Officer applicant who cried when told she had to carry and shoot a pistol. (she was hired).

6. Mar 13, 2017 #6
    Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,960 / 65
    If the reports of liberals going out and buying guns are to be believed, you can expect to see a lot more of this type of inadequacy.

Why? Coupla reasons:
    They (I use "they" very broadly in this context) generally have no respect for firearms or their owners. They view gun owners on whole as ignorant rednecks and misfits while they are enlightened and intelligent. If stupid hillbillies can own guns, surely it can't be that hard.

Taking instruction from someone they view as an inferior being will not sit well.... THEY'RE the smart ones, you exist to serve them.

Many liberals view firearms training as murder practice, I sh*t you not. I've read it in their own words in reference to gun safety training and range time, especially when the subject of teaching children basic gun handling and safety comes up.

Don't expect a change of heart or attitude from these folks. They'll be the same snarky, self-important marshmallows they always were... above it all, better than you, and now legally armed w no moral compass.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mar 13, 2017 #7
    Mr Bentwrench

Mr Bentwrench XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    As a boy, I was raised on Ft Knox's pistol team's range with strict full military discipline and have raised my kids with it too. Don't know any other way. Just like new motorcyclist, I don't like riding/shooting with those I don't know their skill level yet. Scary out there isn't it!

I'd be willing to bet that less than 10% of any CCW class will ever be EDC after the novelty quickly wears off within the first year. Then, I'd bet that only a handful will actually renew their CCW permit when it expires. Be grateful!

8. Mar 13, 2017 #8
    Texas40

Texas40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 11
    Well alot of the "idiocy" could be avoided if folks would just "educate" themselves first.
    But alas as we all know "aint got no times to be wasting on no learnings".

Stay alert and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mar 13, 2017 #9
    Mr Bentwrench

Mr Bentwrench XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Great idea! As with motorcycles, first you need demonstrate you know how to just DRIVE to get a drivers license. THEN, you take another written and road test for an endorsement to operate a MC on public roads. Basically the same concept but will never happen though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mar 13, 2017 #10
    Jpatrick247

Jpatrick247 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Pretty much because once we let the government start deciding what's important to qualify for gun ownership we get Kommiefornia. Besides a "test" for gun ownership can easily be manipulated to make most potential gun owners fail.

I should know. My job requires a battery of tests just to get an interview and, while most of the tests aren't difficult per se, most people fail because of the way the tests are administered.

What would be better is for ranges/instructors performing CC classes to require a basic questionnaire to be completed prior to registration. If someone doesn't own, has never owned, or has never fired a gun before then they could be required to first complete AND pass a beginners course before being allowed to register with that company for a CC class. If the industry as a whole would agree to do this then it would benefit everyone.
    The instructors would make more money as many people wanting to get a CC for the first time have little to no experience with a firearm and would need a preliminary class. Second, those who were actually allowed into a CC course would have a good foundation for safe handling and operation of a firearm. Finally, the general population would benefit from better trained CC holders. All this could be done without any government interference.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1