Savage BMAG .17 WSM

Discussion in 'Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles' started by rharp, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Hey everyone! My cousin was looking at getting a .17 HMR, but I had just read the article in American Rifleman about the new .17 WSM rimfire and was telling him about it. Does anyone have any experience with this round or the Savage BMAG that was designed for this round? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

2. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Nobody? No? No? Ok then

3. CopNa454Sierra

CopNa454Sierra XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    That round is super new to the market and not chambered in many rifles. Might be tough finding anyone with real world hands-on trigger time. Maybe try out YouTube. Might be some people who did reviews and stuff there?

4. Bopper

Bopper XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    These rifles are like finding .22lr shells. They're out there, but super tough to find. I have one "reserved" at my LGS but am keeping my eyes open everytime I go into a retailer. I have been able to pick up 4 boxes of the ammo in anticipation of getting the rifle.

The ballistics are showing that at 100 yards (rimfire, mind you) the .17 WSM is showing the same velocity as the .22 WMR does at 50 yards. There are a few good videos out there of guys shooting it and grouping nicely.

I've heard rumors that Browning is in production on a .17 WSM chambered rifle.

5. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Ya, they're definitely hard to find. What was the pricing like for the ammo?

6. JeremyB

JeremyB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think midway had a price of $14/50 but have 0 in stock

7. Bopper

Bopper XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    I've paid $15-$18/box. A lot of the retailers around here (North Dakota) don't even have a spot on the shelf for them as they haven't seen them yet.

8. apexhunter

apexhunter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Reviews are coming in very mixed on the rifles. Obviously most of what people post are the negatives but there seems to be a trend with broken or faulty extractors but every manufacturer has some issues with a few bad pieces slippuing through QC.

On the ammo there are some saying it is not very consistent and they are actually weigh sorting theirs to get the best groups possible...round to round variances of 2+/- grains is what some are experiencing. Also there are a few instances of case splitting and while this is normally attributed to an out-of-spec chamber supposedly Winchester is aware and is looking into both issues as production goes forward.

Time will tell on this newest rimfire craze but from what I've heard and read everybody that has one and can get ammo is very satisfied with the results thus far. And, the videos of varmint and prairie dog hunts show awesome terminal results with the round. Personally I think I'll wait a while to see if others (Browning as mentioned here and possibly more) come out with rifles before I get rid of my 17HMR and go to the WSM

9. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    The only reason in my mind to get a rim fire is to save money. At $15+ per 50, it better be accurate. I assume it is so that just leaves you with the Beta-max potential of the round in the minus column. I'd be inclined to get a 17hrm or more likely a small caliber bolt gun over it at this point.

10. M11_SMG

M11_SMG XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I have the rifle but no ammo is available. Is anyone aware of ammo in stock anywhere?

11. JeremyB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has been at walmart lately. I had to send mine back to savage because the accuracy sucked. They sent back a brand new one and the groups are 1/2 the size now, 3/4 in at 100yds

12. M11_SMG

M11_SMG XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found some .17 WSM 25 gr at Walmart this morning. At least I have some ammo that I can use to sight in my scope.

13. M11_SMG

M11_SMG XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased a scope but it got in the way of the bolt. It was way too large. What is the best scope the 17 WSM rifles that won't interfere with the bolt?

14. JeremyB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will post the same info I sent you in a PM. Try higher rings, I used the highest mounts I could buy at walmart for my Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 50 and there is still a slight mark on the scope from the bolt handle rubbing.