Saiga vs SKS

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by JPXDC45, Mar 25, 2010.

1. JPXDC45

JPXDC45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (both chambered in 7.62) I've read that most people prefer the Saiga for its detatchable mag, and mod ability to take true AK mags. People also said the SKS was a bit more accurate and better to shoot. My guess is quality is almost identical on both.

I also read that an SKS-D has detatchable mags. Anyone know how hard this is to find?

Overall what would people on here pick and why? How are the breakdowns on each/maintanence? As far as I can tell the SKS is a lot cheaper, but I didn't find any SKS-D's.

On a side note, what does everyone prefer, .308 or 7.62 for the Saiga? I'm guessing the .308 is more readily available, possilbe cheaper, how are the balistics on each?

2. Warhammer

Warhammer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saiga vs. SKS:
    A saiga is simply an AK pattern rifle ("AK" from here on out) with a "sporter" stock. What you're really asking is AK vs SKS. If removeable mags are important to you, get the Saiga. Original "D" model SKS's are hard to find and demand a premium price. SKS's that are converted to removeable mags tend to be very hit and miss on mag function, usually miss. Any accuracy edge the SKS may have is very small and not enough to make a buying decision over. Since the Saiga will have a mounting rail for a scope, you'll likely get better practical accuracy from a scoped Saiga than an unscoped SKS. SKS scope mounts pretty universally suck and don't work well. Saiga's can easily be converted to the more standard AK look and a better trigger group installed if you prefer. Your Saiga will be a brand new firearm, produced by Izhmash in Russia in the same factory that has been producing AK47s for decades. Your SKS will be a used (probably well used) rifle produced in any number of countries who-knows-how-many years ago and the quality of its build will be an unknown.

7.62x39mm vs .308:
    7.62 is much cheaper, but you'll have more choice in high quality rounds for .308. If you want a plinker/fun gun that's also usefull for defense and hunting, get 7.62. 7.62x39 is ballistically very similar to .30-30 in performace and softpoint 7.62 does well for hunting. If you want it primarily for hunting, .308 will have and edge in both accuracy and range. Since there are more high quality choices in .308, you can better dial in your gun/cartridge combination to get the best possible accuracy. If you hand load, .308 is the hands down winner. Unless you do hand load, your .308 ammo will cost you considerably more.

3. JPXDC45

JPXDC45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very informative, thank you.

I was leaning towards the Saiga anyway because I could get it brand spanking new, and I like it when I control maintenance. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a better deal.

4. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    though similar...they're two completely different platforms. If you want an AKM and like the siaga or plan on converting to AKM specs....go with the Siaga. If you want a classic SKS...than get an SKS. The SKS is a great rifle and you can find many in unissued condition....I picked up a Chicom Norinco SKS in the fall still coated in cosmo for 200 cash. I prefer SKS with standard fixed box magazines and not a fan of the AK style mags.

5. Saiga13

Saiga13 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Saiga 7.62x39 outshoots my two friend's SKS's. The SKS feels "Nicer" to shoot because it feels like it weighs like 20% more. Shooting the same round it's just easier on the recoil. But if 7.62x39 is "Too much recoil" you should probably be shooting .22 LR =P

6. meaty

meaty XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    saiga has my vote

7. FloridaPhil

FloridaPhil XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Very different rifles. You need both. Then you need an AK-74, then a Mosin, then.....

8. TeeJay

TeeJay XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Deffinately need both! Sks and ak are very fun guns to shoot, very easy to shoot and both make great additions to any collection.

7.62x39 is plentiful, fairly easy to get for a very good price and is easily found in bulk cases. Great round to have a few thousand of sitting around..

9. JPXDC45

JPXDC45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the detachable mag for the reason that you can have 10 rounds just as easily ready as 30. Besides, the banana clip looks bad@$$. I have to find a fixed pistol grip stock for it, the adjustable ones make it an "Assault Weapon" though....such BS.

I guess I may have to get an SKS, after the Saiga, for the history of it....I was looking for maybe an older war gun, possibly bolt action though. We'll see, there's plenty of gunshows to go to...;-)

10. TeeJay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    get a SKS, shoot it, enjoy it, buy more! i kinda fell in love with it. bought a handful of em. the AK is also a great tool, just a different setup though.

11. TeeJay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    get a SKS, shoot it, enjoy it, buy more! i kinda fell in love with it. bought a handful of em. the AK is also a great tool, just a different setup though.

12. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    I keep an SKS in my car as a trunk gun becuase of Ohio Laws. In ohio..you can't transport a loaded firearm unless you have a CHL and the weapon is on your persons. I really don't want to have an loaded AK on my lap while driving...tends to spook the 18 wheel drivers. To add to this...a firearm with a magazine loaded with ammo....and not inserted into the firearm is still considered loaded by Ohio laws. Stripper clips loaded with ammo along side and SKS is not considered loaded, there fore it makes the perfect truck/trunk gun. I have my SKS with about 200 rounds on stripper clips in my vehicle....and it's nice....

13. JPXDC45

JPXDC45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Saiga will be a definite. Probably first, get the bigger purchases out of the way.

I like the mosin nagant now, and found out you can get them complete with a nice little kit for only $80. That will most likely be the first surplus rifle I buy. After that I may go for the SKS, but eventually I will buy a romanian psl-54c (my dragunov look-a-like).

Sad part, I was thinking about buying a nice AR-15. For the same price I can get a really nice, brand new Saiga, and those other 3 rifles mentioned....WOW :rolleyes:.

Don't get me wrong, I've shot AR's, they are nice. I just can't believe the price difference there...

14. JPXDC45

JPXDC45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW does anyone have any info on how to modify an SKS to except magazines? I was told by someone that I work with but rarely see it was pretty easy, but I was unable to obtain any info from them.

15. TeeJay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    i assume they were talking about using the "duckbill" mags. they replace the stock 10 shot mag with a ak looking magazine.

i dont care for them and wouldnt use one.

[​IMG]