Saiga Locking And Railed AK Top Covers?

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by HB of CJ, Feb 18, 2009.

1. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 12
    Does anyone make a HD AK railed top cover that locks tightly to the receiver? Kinda like the railed locking FN LAR top covers, but made for the Saiga platform? Thanks. HB of CJ

question post

2. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    krebs makes this,

[​IMG]

is that along the lines of what you want ? Doesnt use the actual top cover, it bridges it, and fastens to the end of the stock.

Welcome to Krebs Custom - Custom Parts - Kalashnikov Rifle Parts

at$275 its rather pricey.

I heard DPH was going to come out with a much less expensive similar solution.

Also there are cheap $40 chinese ones that arent nearly as nice, and are somewhat similar, in that they bridge over the dust cover.

3. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
  5. HB of CJ

Ratings:
    +21 / 12
    Thank you. Great pics. I don't mind in principle in drilling and tapping a hole or two to have a top cover that is railed, solid and lets me do the usual strip down without distrubing the scope zero. Therein lies the rub.

Would like also not to mount the scope way forward above the tube. Sure way to melt down your scope. We love to shoot our Saigas. I have a low mount for my Red Dot that attaches to my Rommie side rail.

Problem again is that the scope mounts too low and I have to dismount it in order to get the top cover off sosssss I can strip down the AK. Perhaps a higher side mount would work for me also. Thanks again. HB of CJ

I need a Saiga mount post

6. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    dph version 1
    Beryl Style Scope Mount $69.95 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click to enlarge
    [​IMG]
    Click to enlarge
    This is a low rise scope mount. To install it, simply remove the rear site leaf and replace it with the mount. The back of the mount is mounted to the rear buttstock screw for a rock solid mount. CND'd from a solid block of aluminum and anodized black.

i have not messed with these, but i imagine it hinges at the leaf sight. So you can unscrew the rear of the receiver, hinge up the rail, remove dust cover, and clean etc. Then hinge down, bolt it down again, and retain zero? I think.

I cant say for sure, as i recently got my .223saiga and have done nothing to it, except fit 13 galil mags.

from dph description: this is the nicer vesrion 2
    you asked for it.......Our new Beryle style scope rail. This rail is a very close copy of the original Polish Beryl rail. We designed this with the end user in mind. This AK rail does not require the removal of the rear site leaf. It mounts to the sides of the rear site block with 2 hardened set screws that will "bite" into the rear site block and act as a hinge point. The rear is attached to the most rear buttstock screw with a specially designed plate that facilitates the quick detach lever. We also designed these with enough "adjustablitly" to allow it to be mounted on many different models including Saiga Rifles.

NOTE:
    Although it is not required, you can use a small drill bit and make 2 small indentions in the rear site block for added security.

AK Beryl Style Scope Rail W/Quick Detach - $179.99

krebs

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-2]This part is designed to attach to the rear sight support (in front), and the tang of the rifle (in back). It's made of 7075 aluminum, anodized black, and has provisions for both windage and elevation adjustment. It's also designed to accommodate regular disassembly of an AK rifle. It provides the user with a 1913 rail over the receiver cover on a standard-pattern AK, with AR sights at the back of the receiver (providing an approximately 60% greater sight radius). Not for Yugoslavian or milled receiver rifles. Not for use with Yugoslavian, Chinese or milled receiver rifles.

[/SIZE]

7. HB of CJ

Ratings:
    +21 / 12
    Thank you. You went to a great deal of time and effort to post all the pics and stuff. Thank you very much. I LOVE this forum!! Happy Camper. HB of CJ :) :) :)

THANK YOU post.

8. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    well not that much time, i already had them bookmarked for myself, i just hadnt pulled the trigger and bought one yet.

Got to share what little knowledge I have about these saigas.

thanks for recognizing the effort no matter how little it was.

9. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The $40 (I got mine for $28 so shop around) SGM Tactical rail is ok but none too solid. It's polymer and there's a fair bit of flex in it, so be warned that if you get rough with it it's likely to snap. The DPH arms one is solid aluminium I think and they're good people, the hard part is finding it in stock. The Krebs would probably cost three-four times as much, but it's a sweet piece of kit.

Personally I'm going for an Ultimak gas tube with an Aimpoint Micro, I find everything on the AK receiver rails to be too tall for me.

10. HB of CJ

Ratings:
    +21 / 12
    Thank you for the post. I love this forum. People helping people trying to save people. Very very nice. For now I probably will just use the low mount I already have that attaches to the factory receiver side scope mount. Americanized Saiga 308 AK.

Then, when I have some more money (spent it all on guns) I will go with the intermediate height mount. Happy to say I finally found my older Leopold 1x4x25 compact duel-plex rifle scope I took off my old SS Ruger Ranch rifle. Very cool. HB of CJ

thank you Post

11. Cryogaijin

Cryogaijin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Gawd I love this forum. :) Just got back from the range with my Saiga, and remembered why all my guns have scopes on them. (Only good up to 25 yards with iron sights.)

12. AK_User

AK_User XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just shot a Saiga 7.62x39 and was wondering if the top cover/receiver cover is the same as a standard AK 47. I compared the two by eyeballin' it and they seem the same except the Saiga's looks a little more beef'd up and maybe a bit wider?? Will a standard AK 47 top cover fit on the Saiga 7.62 rifle?