Saiga AK47 - Fair price?

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by PistolEd, Dec 14, 2012.

1. PistolEd

PistolEd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The LGS has a Saiga on consignment. It looks as if its been through normal use. No major cosmetic problems or scratches. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned after the last range trip.

I found a similar rifle new for $600. The one at the LGS has an optical mount and a tru-glo optic in addition to a rail mounted flashlight.

The seller is asking $650. Are the Saiga's worth the extra money? AK's in general are pretty sparse around here but I also don't want to get ripped off. I'll try and get a picture up.

2. M2XD

M2XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saigas are the best mass-produced Kalashnikov-style rifles you can buy in this country. They are worth the money.

That said, that particular rifle still needs AK-style handguards on it. It is better than the sporter one (unconverted) but not quite the look of a real AK yet. I am not quite sure as to what is required to put normal handguards on it, as I own an Arsenal which is fully converted.

The extra stuff the LGS throws on it doesn't add value to the gun, it only adds to their asking price. I would rather buy a new one from J&G than a used one with an unknown track record (not cleaned after last range trip? WTF?!?)

Cheers! M2

3. Rye_rucker81

Rye_rucker81 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was at the range let a guy I meet shoot the xds. Low and behold he whips out a Saiga ak47. This gun was a blast he also stated this was the best AK you can buy! Go Brand new!

4. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It's an AK-47, don't have a heart attack. C'mon you know these things don't really need to be cleaned that much unless the owner is really anal.

5. Hammer of Dawn

Hammer of Dawn XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure you can get a new Saiga converted from classic arms for $599. $650 for a used Saiga seems steep.

6. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    This will probably sart a bunch of crap, but.....

Saiga, VePR, Arsenal, Zasatva......all the same except the hype and price.
    if its what you want, buy it but for 500 you can get a VePR, heavier duty than the Saiga.
    For 400+ you can get a Saiga and convert it your self.
    For 400-600, you can get a Zastava.
    For 800+ you can get an Arsenal. While I love Bulgarian AK-74s....hype makes them expensive.

7. M2XD

M2XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the useless comment, I am pretty knowledgeable on the Kalashnikov and while they may function without being cleaned it still isn't a good sign. For an extra fifty bucks, I would go with a new one.

Sure, they are basically the same design; but if you aren't aware of the differences that have occurred over the years such as changing the angle of the gas tube from 45° to 90° and why the slant brake was replaced by the AK-74-style one then you won't know why shooting a modern AK-100-style rifle over a old Romanian is a better experience.

There is no comparison, a Saiga will be more accurate and easier to keep on target then a WASR-10. If that wasn't the case, then every AK would be a cheap Romanian version...

8. XDPoint4Ohh

XDPoint4Ohh XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    For about 1-2 hundred more you can buy brand new

9. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Sounds like someone is a bit mad.. I think you're overreacting and being dramatic like a school girl. It's not a SCAR-H or any type of safe queen. It's an AK-47 and just because it wasn't cleaned after it was out last doesn't make it any worse. If you know so much about the Kalashnikov you would know that having a few hundred rounds through it without a cleaning isn't even a hard days work for these guns. If I were him I would clean her up (takes ten minutes) and use the other $50.00 on ammo and shooting for the day.

;)

10. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Ok, here we go....Al AKMs went to the 74 pattern EXCEPT for Romanian.
    The vented 90* block (not tube)came out because of jacket shear with the 545 round in a unvented 45* block (not tube), except for Romania. They found a way to make it work. And all TUBES are interchangeable.. The slant/spoon device isn't a brake....its a compensator or blast diverter.
    AK47s have milled receivers, AKMs have stamped receivers. The AK74 style brake was used to defeat recoil under full auto fire AND to reduce 'dirt pops' when firing prone. Gas diverts to the sides,up and towards the shooter to pull the weapon down and forward. AK74 pattern is also lighter, and uses a different cover latch than the 47 pattern. Polish AKs with grenade launchers have a special latch with a lock tab for the cover. AK74 pattern also has the lug under the gas block for the GP25/GP30/GP34 under barrel grenade launcher. They also have the bayonet lug under the FSB. 24/1 threaded blocks cannot use a bayonet without a brake or flash hider.

You wanna play technical and history lesson, I'm all for it.

What I am getting at is the comment about the Saiga being the 'best'...a VePR will walk the dog all over the Saiga. RPK receiver. Designed specifically as a hunting weapon version of the AK. Saiga is a faux set up to get around import and weapon restrictions. WaSR is an export only commercial version of an AKM and has always benn an entry level AK, like all Romanian AKs, even the SAR.

Arsenal, Saiga, VePR, PaP, and WaSR are the only factory built AKs imported. FEG and Maadi were right up there as well. You cannot sit here and tell me which one is the best. They all have their quirks. I'll throw a Romanian in the mix too, one of my high cap 992s or CUR II against any other stamped 545 out there.

All of them have their issues. All of them have had troubles, especially Arsenal. Not as common and the post 2004 WaSRs.

its all in what you can afford. Price reflects product for the most part. Arsenal is the exception because you will pay for the name. And don't forget the kit built weapons too. Wanna talk about them, I have a bunch. Some with bought receiver, some with flats, and some with receivers I made myself.....
    Not trying to start a bitching match, but I know a little about AKs...as well as every other ComBloc weapon ever made.

11. towerofpower93

towerofpower93 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agree with what others have said: buy a new, unconverted one and then do the pistol grip conversion yourself. You'll save some bucks in the long run, know exactly what the rifle has been subjected to and learn a whole bunch about the ins and outs of your rifle as well as the basic AK system. It's really not as hard as it looks at first and can be done with tools you probably already have around the house. Will it look as nice as one done professionally? No, but it'll be your AK and you can always buy a nice kit and 74u LLC receiver to have assembled by a shop if you want a super nice/authentic looking AK.

My .02

Eric

12. meaty

meaty XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Ive learned a lot on this board, but none more than einheit knows what the heck hes talking about when it comes to AKs. Sometimes its hard to cut thru all the internet bs (especially for ak/ar rifles) but my experience has always been that einheit will give it to you straight. I suggest you at least listen with an open mind

13. PistolEd

PistolEd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasn't trying to start the "what AK is best" thread. Since AK's are hard to find around here I was looking for input regarding a consignment gun at the LGS. From this comment:

I take that to mean, all AK's are generally good. I finally managed to get a picture off my phone (see attached)...

If I interpreted the comments correctly, it sounds like if he really wants to sell it, $650 is on the high side. Of course with the current mania, he might be able to ask any price he wants.

Attached Files: