SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013

335K views 2K replies 455 participants last post by  MacFly 
#1 ·
Info posted at www (dot) springfieldrecall (dot) com

ATTENTION

3.3 XD-S™ SAFETY RECALL

Issued August 28, 2013
Technical Background Get Started Contact Us Springfield-Armory.com
Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

What should you do?
STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

To begin the upgrade process and for fastest response, click on the Get Started link at the top of the page. On that page enter your serial number and click Next. If your pistol is subject to this recall, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. The serial number is located on the frame beneath the dust cover (accessory rail). If you prefer, you may initiate the upgrade process by calling 800-680-6866. If you no longer own the 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol, please advise Springfield of the current owner.

XD-S Serial Number

What pistols are involved?
This Safety Recall applies only to:
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.

What will Springfield do?
Springfield will send you a return authorization and mailing label, allowing you to return your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol to Springfield at no cost to you. Springfield will upgrade your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol with the new components, and return it to you. Springfield will provide tracking numbers so you can monitor the receipt and return of your upgrades.

Questions?
Visit Springfield Armory. com for further information about this safety recall. You can reach the Springfield Armory Call Center at 800-680-6866. Springfield apologizes for this inconvenience, but your safety is our paramount concern.

We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Springfield products.

See less See more
#55 ·
Guys, I personally would recommend swapping internals back to stock as sometimes modifying a firearm can void the warranty...

Direct from Springfield's website:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY? This Limited Warranty does not cover any damage or condition determined by Springfield to be
caused by:
  • unauthorized repairs, disassembly, adjustments or modifications
  • carelessness, negligence, misuse, or unsafe handling
  • normal wear and tear
  • failure to properly or reasonably store, use, or maintain the product
  • hand-loaded, reloaded, remanufactured, or defective ammunition
Now, if you coated the slide, etc. and don't have a replacement, well, you would have to take your chances. Maybe they won't care about any of it, I don't know, but just pointing it out. They do say it has to be determined to be causing the issue, which, by their own admission, the issue is their fault so maybe they would let the mods pass.

#56 ·
I guess in a way I am lucky. Mine is already at Springfield for what they think is a faulty ejector. I left a message that I would like them to do the recall work too.
I am starting to lose the little faith I had in this platform, but thankful I had not put it into my EDC rotation.
We will see what happens when it gets back (I wonder how long it will take)

#57 ·
My XDS-45 is a 504XXX.
Have had it since July 2012.
Over 1,000 rounds with no problems.
I guess this is more of a liability (CYA) recall?
That would be my guess. My son and I have had zero issues.

But enjoy the dog pile. ;)

#60 ·
I almost bought the XDS 9mm this past Monday cause the LGS has them for $499. Still waiting for my CCL interview in Jax, FL. Been looking at the SA site today comparing specs of the XDS, XD9SC, and XDM3.8 and blam, saw the link for this recall. Now not sure what to do. Not trying to hijack my own thread, just frustrated cause I thought I wanted the XDS and now I don't think I should buy one and have to ship it off the next day. What would you do?

#62 ·
My XDs45 #XS678xxx isn't part of it, tried entering various other serial#s throughout the range and couldn't find one that was, so appears to be either a very small number of guns where someone started drinking early on a Friday:-D or it's limited to a parts lot. I'm relieved, it's been flawless, and I've been shooting and carrying mine since I got it, have night sights on the way for it, and really would have hated to have it down for the recall.
Both my XDs45 and XDs9 have to go back ... flippin' fantastic.

#63 ·
I almost bought the XDS 9mm this past Monday cause the LGS has them for $499. Still waiting for my CCL interview in Jax, FL. Been looking at the SA site today comparing specs of the XDS, XD9SC, and XDM3.8 and blam, saw the link for this recall. Now not sure what to do. Not trying to hijack my own thread, just frustrated cause I thought I wanted the XDS and now I don't think I should buy one and have to ship it off the next day. What would you do?

Tell the LGS about the recall and tell him you'll take an XD-S at that price, but only one that has been repaired.

#64 ·
I may hold off for a few months (6-12) before I try to send mine in.
there is sure to be a log jam with a long turn around time.
They may also modify the affected SN's based on what they find from the initial inspections.
That is not a bad idea... I will think about that for mine. I could do without mine for a month as I have my Glock 23, but if I wait, they could determine that mine doesn't even need to be serviced. What to do, what to do?

#65 ·
I'm just going to unload mine and leave it in the safe for a bit. IMHO I'm in no real rush to send mine in and t get lost amongst the other couple thousand that will be arriving in the coming weeks. It pisses me off because I have had to send in a ruger, taurus, shield, and now my XDS all for repair over the last 2 years.

#68 ·
I bought a Walther PPS first, then purchased an XDs 45. I prefer the XDs over the PPS and made it my edc. I've never had a problem with about 1000 rnds through it. Still, not willing to take a chance. It has been put on the injured reserve list until I can get the website to work and get it fixed. Calling the PPS up from the minors to be in my starting rotation now. Bummed, but at least there's a back-up.

#70 · (Edited)
I may hold off for a few months (6-12) before I try to send mine in.
there is sure to be a log jam with a long turn around time.
They may also modify the affected SN's based on what they find from the initial inspections.
I think I'll do the same,there's bound to be a backlog initially. Glad I've the Sig P220 to use in the meantime.

#71 ·
Buy it. Sweet pistol, and if SA fixes it for free, it is a win! Plus, you're still waiting for your CCW permit, so what is the hurry. On a side note, what "interview" do you need. I took my class, filled out forms, mailed them, and waited. Twelve weeks later the permit was in my hands. Did something in FL change recently?

#72 ·
I wouldn't buy one if I were you! I'm in the pissed off camp as well. Almost rather have my $600 back! Not a good first experience with SA.

#76 ·
WOW! This really SUCKS! And now they can't even get the web site working. They NEED to do something other than just fix the problem. This is PISS POOR Quality control, and a major inconvenience for all of us that put so much trust and hard earned money into. Not to mention we will now be without something that was desgined for self protection!

As much as I hate to say it, if I need to find something else to replace it for a month or longer, I may be able to find something to replace it for good, and I was a BIG BIG FAN.

Sounds like with the limited availability of info we really don't know what the problem is, how many guns are involved in the recall, or how long this will really take to fix I can see this takeing a very very long time to get resolved.

As far as SA being a standup company and takeing care of the problem, I don't really see where they had a choice, given the potential liability issues today. Honestly, I can't see how something like this got out the door.

It is a DAMM shame because I have god knows how many rounds thru 45 and 9, without any issues, and it feels and shoots so damm nice, BUT I just don't know if I will ever feel the same way about it. Kinda like a Super model girlfriend that screws around on ya. You know you should dump it, but DAMM, she's SO FINE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.