SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013

335K views 2K replies 455 participants last post by  MacFly 
#1 ·
Info posted at www (dot) springfieldrecall (dot) com

ATTENTION

3.3 XD-S™ SAFETY RECALL

Issued August 28, 2013
Technical Background Get Started Contact Us Springfield-Armory.com
Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

What should you do?
STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

To begin the upgrade process and for fastest response, click on the Get Started link at the top of the page. On that page enter your serial number and click Next. If your pistol is subject to this recall, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. The serial number is located on the frame beneath the dust cover (accessory rail). If you prefer, you may initiate the upgrade process by calling 800-680-6866. If you no longer own the 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol, please advise Springfield of the current owner.

XD-S Serial Number

What pistols are involved?
This Safety Recall applies only to:
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.

What will Springfield do?
Springfield will send you a return authorization and mailing label, allowing you to return your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol to Springfield at no cost to you. Springfield will upgrade your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol with the new components, and return it to you. Springfield will provide tracking numbers so you can monitor the receipt and return of your upgrades.

Questions?
Visit Springfield Armory. com for further information about this safety recall. You can reach the Springfield Armory Call Center at 800-680-6866. Springfield apologizes for this inconvenience, but your safety is our paramount concern.

We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Springfield products.

See less See more
#27 ·
Well, my XDs 9 is in the batch, though I haven't tried entering the serial number on the site yet... my SN falls right about in the middle of the range. What I don't get is that I registered my pistol on their website, and have email confirmation. Why would I not get a direct email that my pistol could have a problem!

Lousy communication on their part I think, but as long as they make my gun right, I'm okay with it.

#28 ·
Just sold my .45 the guy called and has to send it away to Springfield. They will replacing his trigger and grip safety. They said should take about a month.

#29 ·
I was able to get through to the site and entered my serial number for my .45. The number is XS5750XX. The site told me that my pistol is NOT on the recall list. This means you can't go by the range of serial numbers alone. You must check with the site.

I was able to check my 9mm and serial number XS9033XX and it also is NOT on the recall list.
As an IT guy with reports of the thing going up and down, I don't trust that at all.

I called the 800 number, selected the option for the recall info (proves it's real), waited a while for the "all agents unavailable" and then hit 1 to leave a voice mail.

I explained that the lookup tool on the website didn't seem very trustworthy to me, and recommended they just publish the list. Seriously.

And left a phone number and my serial number.

We'll see how long until they call back, but I am not going to trust a flaky website, no way, no how.

You may or may not feel the same but I suspect they're not going to be able to use the website to slow phone calls with not having built it to handle the load...

Definitely no IT person will trust it. I maintain sites like that for a living and wonder if some doofus coder made an accidental mistake in the lookup code when the PR release says one thing, and the website says another.

I'll leave the XDS unloaded and out of service until I hear from a tie-breaker. Whether that's a warm body (expensive for them) or better detailed list on the website (cheap but maybe embarrassing if they don't want someone to count up how many), I don't care.

Not going to trust my safety to a possibly busted website hastily hacked together by a web coder, under a deadline. :)

#30 ·
Grip safety issue. Keep calling. I have a label coming tomorrow. Your pistol could fire when chambering a round or fire more than once on a single trigger pull, press or squeeze. I'm not going to ignore the recall. This pistol is pointing pretty much at me 18 hours a day and I want to feel as good about it as I did a couple hours ago.

#32 ·
So does anyone have an XDs with a serial number that is NOT in the range listed? I don't mean they've checked the website and been told that their gun is not included, I mean a gun with a number not in the ranges provided.

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

This would indicate approximately 38,700 9mm pistols and approximately 186300 .45s out there, if the numbers are consecutive. How many of the damned things have been sold. I'm wondering if the possibility of a failure exists in the whole production run of each gun.

#34 ·
My question is what does this mean for person's who bought this firearm being via Single Shot Exemption in California. I am SSE'ing this gun now should be picking it up saturday night and wont be able to send it in if I am the only one who can pick it up from the FFL. Well this sucks calling them tomorrow to see what can be done. Maybe i can have them send me the parts and i get a local gunsmith to install or I install myself.

#36 ·
My question is what does this mean for person's who bought this firearm being via Single Shot Exemption in California. I am SSE'ing this gun now should be picking it up saturday night and wont be able to send it in if I am the only one who can pick it up from the FFL. Well this sucks calling them tomorrow to see what can be done. Maybe i can have them send me the parts and i get a local gunsmith to install or I install myself.
I'm in that boat as well. I'll be calling SA tomorrow for advice.

#50 ·
Bummer, saw GOAA post this up on Facistbook so came here to check it out. At least ill have a backup CCW... even if it is a rainbow colored Sig p238... better than nothing.

My only worry is I had the slide coated and changed the sights, hopefully they return my gun with TFO sights and Leupold Brown gunkote... and my PRP grips, lol.

Sent from my Google powered personal data extraction device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.