SA 1911 Pistols: Mil-Spec, RO & Loaded

Discussion in 'M1911' started by Stillhunter, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Stillhunter

Stillhunter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey All,

I got to shoot the SA 1911 Mil-Spec, Range Officer and Loaded and wanted to share the vids.

Have you shot these too?
    If so do you like them as much as I did?
    How many rounds down range have you sent through one?
    AND How did they perform???

Vids:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8o7JUi2Bk&feature=share&list=PL_hm8Y5BXqAMBoV7DzyNNo0izOpR8QWW7[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFDIpP3qck&feature=share&list=PL_hm8Y5BXqAMBoV7DzyNNo0izOpR8QWW7[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ibT4xufT0&feature=share&list=PL_hm8Y5BXqAMBoV7DzyNNo0izOpR8QWW7"]1911 Loaded Parkerized Review and Night Shoot Test Fire - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Somewhere around 20,000 through a Loaded and a Milspec. The milspec started having issues at about 8,000 rds but the Loaded has over 10,000 through it without problems. Mostly cast lead and FMJ.

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    52k through an upgraded Standard (pre-MilSpec) and 6-10k through several Loadeds.

4. Stillhunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey bigun,
    just curious what issues did the milspec have? Enough to divorce (sell) it or you worked things out?

5. Stillhunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dirty Rod,
    I read a bunch of your posts and wish you could give me and others insight to your experiences with the SA Loaded guns you've shot.
    Eg. Pros, Cons, what factory ammo feeds well, what bullets you load for competition that worked best for you, mods (want vs needed mods)...

6. Dirty Rod

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sure.

Bought my first SA back in 85. Since then I've owned 5-6 Loaded models and still own that 52k round 5" custom, 2 steel Champions, 1 LW Champion (Recently sold to the neighbor but still in my safe), and several other non Loaded models (EMP, XD, etc) as well as other brands of 1911s (Kimber, LB, Wilson(Dads), etc)

In my experience, the Loaded models are not extremely tight or picky compared to other brands/models. They all ate pretty much every brand I've tried all kinds of ammo (Hydrashocks, TAP, Gold Dots, etc) and only one gun needed to have the ramp polished in order to feed. Normally I'm using 230GR RN FMJ or plated bullets and have to admit that I rarely use 185s or 200s. I went through an SWC phase for a little while and the guns I had at the time ate them fine. With my handloads, I've used Unique and 231 with OALs from 1.24 to 1.275 and my guns don't seem to be sensitive to lengths or charges. My loads generally shoot 3.5-4" @ 25 yards from my 4" guns and about 2.25" for my 5".

Durability is good. I work the crap out of my guns. No safe queens. Classes out in the rain, mud, dirt and they get cleaned every couple thousand rounds but frequently lubed. I've broken a few parts over the years (slide stops, ejectors, extractors, mag catches, etc) but no more than my Kimber, Colt, or Baer. When they break I replace them with EB or WCBP parts but I've broken those too. I have cracked an SA frame too but that was replaced under warranty. I think they are durable enough for the guy that's going to go put 50 rounds through it every month and put it back in the safe. I seem to put 500 rounds a month on average through my favorite range SA but the last couple months have been 1k+ so I tend to break a few more parts than most people will see.

Mods are one of those personal things. Ten years ago I did all the mods but now I don't bolt a bunch of stuff on. I believe that every mod should be done to improve your shooting, accuracy, etc and an out of the box Loaded is more accurate than the average user. If I was buying another one today all I would do is checker the front strap and maybe a magwell for a dedicated range gun and those are personal pref. For most people it should be fine out of the box.

For the negatives I only have a few and I'm sure they are not indicative of everyone's experience.

• Factory night sights never seem to last for more than 5-6 years for me before they start to dim.
    • The dual spring setup in the Champion is a bit pricey. Only offered by SA, runs about $40 plus shipping, and they were lasting about 6k rounds before I needed to replace them. I eventually changed all mine to a different rod and used a $7 20-22lbs Wolff or WC spring.
    • Used to have an issue with the right side of the ambi coming loose but I no longer use ambis on anything but one of my 5" guns.
    • For some reason an extended mag catch doesn't seem to work on the Bladetech holster I use for IDPA with my Champions. It works find on my 5" SA and my LB but releases the mag on my Champions. Both of mine are pre-06 so perhaps there was a slight change to the profile. Minor since I don't normally use them for IDPA and a standard catch works fine with that Bladetech.
    These are just my little things since you asked my opinion and i don't consider them a big deal for a gun that will actually get used. I don't really care about finishes or the gun being pretty but the finishes seem to wear OK. Definitely better than my Kimbers and LB.

In the end I think the Loadeds are very good guns and would certainly recommend one.

Hope that helps. Sorry if it's long but you asked. :D

7. Stillhunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dirty Rod,

Thanks for your feedback. I still do some semiwad with 231 but Im a little old school and not high speed competition guy cause I'm busy with work and business.

Im guessing if you are typing now when cactus is shooting your from the east valley / usery guy.

pm me so i can send you my email sometime.

10-7

8. Dirty Rod

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nope. West Valley. I forget about Cactus but Ive watched a few times. I've been out to Rio but I'm usually at PRG when I'm not at BA.

Will do.