Rust issues on the slide...

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by ciprimm23, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ciprimm23

ciprimm23 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Springfield XD Subcompact .40. I've been having some major rust issues with the slide as well as the grip safety. I've been keeping it clean and oiled atleast every two weeks sinse I started noticing the rust. I've own numerous makes/models of guns and have NEVER had this issue like the XD...so I don't think im necessarily doing anything wrong. I uses Hoppes solvent and oil. I want to know if anyone else has had similar issues and what was done to take care of it?

Thanks.

(By the way, im new to xd talk so if im not posting this in the correct spot please let me know.)

2. shatnerglass

shatnerglass XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    There's a whole subforum dedicated to rust.

How do you store the weapon? If it's in the XD/XDm case with foam, change your storage method.

3. ciprimm23

ciprimm23 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appologise for posting in the wrong spot. Now I know for next time. I stored it in a hard case with foam...oiled and cleaned constantly....never put away wet. Yesterday I ordered a pelican case in attemp to keep rust off.

4. shatnerglass

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I'd keep it away from any foam. Even a Pelican case.

5. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    A pelican case will seal in the moisture, buy some anti rust tabs (VPCI) to put in the case with the gun.

6. szhttm

szhttm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, as they have stated, try to not store them in cases. There is no air flow to dry them out.

It may be best if you acquire yourself a safe a or cabinet that you can store it on a pistol rack. This will help ensure you don't continue to have the issues you have had.

Here is Florida, since it is always so humid, we oil the slides inside and out and then store them. Another option is to rub one of those silicone infused rags on the slide before storing.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
    8)

7. Stratajema

Stratajema XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It is possible you are not cleaning off the residue from the Hoppes solvent using 92% alcohol and as a result, the solvent fumes are breaking down the foam in your storage case, causing an acidic environment for rust to form.

In amateur comparison tests, Hoppes oil was not that great at preventing rust. There are better alternatives when rust formation becomes an issue.

You did not mention if you have a Bi-Tone (stainless) slide. There seems to more rust complaints about the Bi-Tone slide because I suspect Springfield uses a higher carbon content in its stainless than other manfacturers.

Always keep a desiccant pack in your gun case to remove the moisture that gets trapped in there. Replace those packs every few months.

If you live in a house having no children living or visiting there, then consider storing your gun in an acrylic (not cotton) gun sock. This acrylic gun sock seems to be one of the popular ones available:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Sleeves-Camo|/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104576580/Cabelas-Knit-Gun-Socks/741486.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100214%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd741486&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd741486%3Bcat104576580

8. Montourage

Montourage XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hum...would love to see some photos of the issue. If I was in a humid environment and storing guns for a while I'd have them in a sealed case with hydrosorbent. Also find a new gun oil to protect the weapon better. There are some test videos out there comparing different oils and there is a wide variance in how well they do.

9. JTBTACTICAL

JTBTACTICAL XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I concur. Storing a gun in a case for extended periods will increase the possibility of corrosion. A silicone cloth is a good idea, also store the gun with some type of moisture absorbing pouches. Silica gel is a good start.

10. shatnerglass

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I'll add to my posts by saying I have a large safe with dessicant packets in it. All guns are on a rack and wiped down with an oily rag. I have a dehumidifying rod on the way.

11. Montourage

Montourage XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After researching rust I think a sealed case and thus environment are best. Rust is caused by a combination of metal, water, and oxygen. Obviously we need the metal(our gun) there. But we can limit the oxygen and water in a sealed case. Less so in a circulating case as it makes the oxygen and dehumidifiers less effective if new air and thus oxygen and water are allowed to constantly add to the environment.

So if you wanted to get the best storage environment for your guns. A sealed case that includes a dehumidifier and oxygen absorber. Reduce and eliminate the elements that cause rust and you reduce rust as well.

In addition keeping the metal well oiled keeps both oxygen and water from being able to contact the metal. So don't put it away dry!

I will add though that the reason sealed environments can work less well is when actions to prevent rust are not taken with a sealed case. Reason for this is changes in temperature cause condensation to collect. If a case is sealed and the temperature changes then water could condensate on the weapon. This is why for my expensive digital camera it is stored in a pelican case with a 40 gram hydrosorbant. Especially helpful when taking plane rides to protect gear.