Ruger SR1911 Commander - Utter Failure

Discussion in 'M1911' started by SonOfOdin, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Angry rant time

Went to my club to get the new Ruger SR1911 commander out of layaway. As I am shooting on the range, it's having problems returning to battery completely, requiring a thumb-press about every other round. So, I chocked it up to being brand new and needing time to break in. FWIW, my SR1911 5" needed no such nonsense.

So, I am shooting 7 and 8 round Ruger magazines. Eventually, it stops jamming so much and starts to run a little smoother at around the 250 round mark. So I am chugging along...chugga chugga choo choo, chugga chugga choo choo....

PLINK! GOOD F-N BYE FRONT SIGHT POST! The base of the sight was left in the dovetail, but the rest of it went off to parts unknown in god knows how many friggen pieces. Sigh...Why, Ruger? Just why? First the off center rear sight post on my GP100 DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE!!!!....now this?

Supposedly, the guy in charge is going to sent it back in for repairs. $813 later and....ugh...so disappointed.

I don't care who makes it. For that kind of money, I should be able to take it right out of the box and shoot more than 325 rounds. Every other gun has survived the routine...straight out of the box and on to the range....

Anyways, speculation was a micro-fracture in the sight post. As the slide got hot, the metal expanded until it could not bear the force of moving back and forth.

I am angry. And disappointed.

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It happens. My Les Baer cracked a bushing at 220 and Dad's Wilson broke at 30 rounds. Everyone rolls one off the line every now and then that should have cooked a little longer.

3. Nacho Man

Nacho Man XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yeah it happens. my ss milspec was a jam a matic, and then my firing pin got messed up. i was pissed since i spent seven hundred bucks on a gun that just pissed me off. i got it back, and seems to work fine(only 100 through since warranty work) but, i can never trust it as a hd gun.

4. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Sorry to hear.

5. nuhler

nuhler XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Send it to ruger they will fix it

6. silvabaQ

silvabaQ XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Ouch! I have never had a major Ruger failure..knock on wood. They are very good at correcting their oopsies though.

Also, why do people insist on shooting firearms without proper cleaning and oiling? I dont see the logic in that.

7. Solhays85

Solhays85 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A buddy of mines Kimber tossed a front sight too, jammed 50% of the time and went back to their CUSTOM shop 3 times before it was right. Once you get it back, I'm sure all will be well with your pistol. I've never heard anything bad about Rugers 1911s until now.

8. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 5
    Oh man, that sucks so hard. I'm sorry to hear that. I can see being upset with the front sight, it's not like these are some sort of newfangled invention. :D

Hopefully Ruger will make things right and quickly. In other news, I'm not-so-secretly glad I haven't been able to find one yet. :D ;)

9. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Talked to the head of the store/club today.....

He is going to try and send the whole show back to Ruger. I forgot to tell him how much is was failing to return to battery last night because of the front sight issue...I am sure Ruger will make it right, it is just an issue that never should have been. My 5" ran like a dream.

10. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Allow me to explain....

Every gun I buy is taken straight to the range for a few reasons...

1. Test fire
    2. Function check

Normally, I like to shoot it dry to see how it will perform and to wear off any burrs that might be present. It also causes the gun to loosen up a little as the parts move together. Essentially, I want more friction on the parts as they heat up to see if the gun will work. In this case, if I doused it in lube I might not have known about the failure to return to battery issue because it might have had that extra slick push. In addition to this, I might have never known that the front sight post was defective and found out at a much worse time than on the range.

FWIW, the gun should function 100% right out of the box with a few drops of lube. If it does not, we have problems. For you 1911 guys who are savvy, I know! I know! It is a commander and probably needs shot more! I still think it should function correctly.

It's like Bonehead and I were talking about...I could see if it was a cheaper offshore made gun that was $300-$400. The problem is, its made right here in America by one of the biggest names in the industry and RIA's outperform it. (I am not knocking the Rocks!!!)

11. Foskey

Foskey XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Damn, what a shame. I am sure a huge disappointment after dropping that kinda coin. Keep us posted. I hope ruger makes it right for you.

12. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    If you get one, please shoot 325 rounds through it at one time to see if the FSP will implode. :eek:

13. SonOfOdin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Yeah, I am really disappointed and blue today. Not mad as much anymore, just disappointed after spending the money on the gun itself after having it on layaway and being excited to get it.

14. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 5
    It would be my pleasure. :D

15. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0
    That is unfortunate that it had so many problems. Ruger's customer service is excellent and I bet they make it right.

Don't feel too bad...back in the early 90s, I had the front sight on a newly bought Colt M1991A1 fly off during shooting. Apparently they did not steak it properly. Back then...Colt went through a period where their QC went to hell. It happens with many 1911 makers.

The failure to go into battery is actually an easy fix. I found this out when my Colt Combat Commander had the same problem.

Apparently, the stock recoil springs in many "Commander" sized 1911s is a tad on the weak side. The 4.25 inch 1911 seems to really benefit from having a replacement recoil spring that is 2-4 pounds heavier than the stock spring. The slide cycle on the shorter 1911 is much faster than on the original 5" 1911 and an extra power recoil spring helps the slide return to battery with a tad more force than what is needed with a 5" gun.

I called Wilson Combat and was asking their smiths for advice on my Combat Commander that failed to go into battery. Their suggestion was a replacement recoil spring from them or Wolff that was 2 to 4 pounds heavier. I ordered 2 springs - one that was 2 pounds heavier and one that was 4 pounds heavier. Ran me maybe 13 bucks.

Well, the 2 pound heavier recoil spring TOTALLY made my failure to go into battery problems go away. No matter what ammo I used...the old Colt Combat Commander cycled it and ran with no more problems.

So I'd try a replacement recoil spring. Its quick and easy but do not go over 4 pounds because that can cause OTHER cycling problems.

This much I learned when I inherited a slightly problematic 1973 Colt Combat Commander from my uncle. The thing now runs great and is one of my favorite pistols.

Good luck with it...

-brickboy240