Springfield XD Forum banner

Ruger 22/45 vs. S&W 22A

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  APismoClam 
#1 ·
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I want to get a .22 pistol for plinking and cheap shooting. I had decided to get a Ruger 22/45 because of its updated grip configuration as I was never into the heavily canted grip of the original Rugers. Unfortunately, I have not been able to source one of the base models anywhere. I am not interested in the hunter or target version, as I am looking to stay under $300 for this pistol. My local gun store has the base model of the S&W 22A for $309. I have never shot one, and my range doesn't have one to borrow. What do you guys think about these two? The only things I noticed about the S&W that raised my eyebrows are the plastic handle and the odd location of the magazine release. Other then that, nothing but brand loyalty (I only own Colt, Ruger, Springfield and Remington, and love them all) is holding me back from the S&W. Although, my grandfather's favorite guns were S&W so one of his (a model 66-1) will be heading to me at some point (he passed away). Thoughts?

#4 ·
I have owned a 22-45 for a little over 10 years now and its been perfect. God knows how many bricks my daughter and I have put through the thing! Something should have broken by now...but no...the thing just keeps on running and is amazingly accurate. I have had plenty of chances to switch 22 pistols but have never found a reason to do so.

If you shoot a 1911...the 22-45 makes the most sense of any 22 pistol. Other 22 pistols do NOT feel anythign like a 1911 and the 22 conversions are spotty on reliability. The 22-45 is the obvious choice.

- brickboy240

#6 ·
+1 on the 22/45.

I've shot many thousands of rounds through mine and it's action just gets smoother and smoother. I love switching back and forth between it and my larger caliber handguns while training to keep my mojo frosty. It is the perfect .22 for training trigger control, grip and front sight focus. Recoil is almost non-existent so it's great for eliminating recoil flinch. I have the stainless bull barrel version and recommend it highly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.