Ruger 22/45 Mark III 5.5"...add me to the list...

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by gecko0, Nov 13, 2011.

1. gecko0

gecko0 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...both lists...one is being a new owner, the other of being beaten by the field stripping.

Well, I think my mistake is slightly different than the usual. I've read the manual, watched every youtube vid out there, different threads, etc. I can get it apart and back together, but my problem is the magazine won't secure in. The trigger action and everything seems to be working properly, but I can't get the magazine to snap in...so obviously I messed something up.

Any ideas or threads I should look at related to this? The various troubleshooting threads and the manual portion on that don't mention the magazine issue... :(

Thanks for any input!

2. Mustang02

Mustang02 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had to watch and pause a youtube video to get mine to go back together. I had to hold the gun upside side and then insert the mag to get the back spring to work correctly. Worst gun to field strip, easy one you figure it out.

3. XDmWARRIOR

XDmWARRIOR XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have consumed many beers to prevent my Ruger from sailing across the room upon reassembly attempts. Somewhat belies my engineering degree.:oops:
    If you removed the barrelled action from frame, sounds as if it is not completely back into place. Sometimes requires many smart strikes with a nylon, rubber, or other non-marring hammer prior to installing bolt group.

Good luck!

4. Sheldon

Sheldon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't have the 22/45 MKIII and looked online to find directions for taking it down. Nothing really mentioned in the takedown that involves actually messing with the mag catch at all. What exactly is the issue with yours? Magazine doesn't go into the magwell at all or goes in and doesn't latck/lock into place? Did you take the magazines apart?? The magazine follower button belongs on the left side (it will install on either side) or it won't go into the magwell......maybe your issue?

5. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was talking to the GS owner the other day on the MKIII 22/45. Mentioned to him that I heard there a pita to break down. He said yea there tough till you get used to it. He also said shoot 1000 rounds through it and just run a bore snake down the barrel before you try to do it. Said they really do not need a lot of fussin with for them to shoot well.

6. gettle70

gettle70 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel your pain i remember the first time i tried to strip mine it took me forever to get it back together. I also had to watch the youtube videos stop rewind pause lol. Like Bluto said i have put hundreds of rounds through it and have only run a patch down it and it still fires every time.

7. Sheldon

Sheldon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The biggest issue I think with them is usually getting the hammer strut lined up correctly before swinging the mainspring housing into place. The hammer has to be forward in the fired position too, so you may have to pull on the trigger while wiggling the pistol aimed straight down to get gravity to work the hammer into the fired position (need the magazine in if it's a MKIII) . If the bolt comes partially out and cocks the hammer you need to get it uncocked/in the fired position before you continue with reinstalling the mianspring housing.

The hammer strut just floats willy nilly in there and if you don't pay attention to where it's at, you missalign the two parts (strut and mainspring housing). I always aim the pistol up at a 60 degree angle up (like I'm shooting up high ) and wiggle the gun around to make sure gravity is aligning the strut with the mainspring as I swing it up into place. You should feel a little springiness just as the mainspring housing fully seats.....that springiness is from the strut hitting the sweet spot on the mainspring housing.......if the mainspring housing falls in below flush with no pressure, it ain't aligned!! The MKIII pistols make you install the magazine to defeat the magazine disconnect, otherwise pulling the trigger won't allow the hammer to go into the fired position that it needs to be in for disassembly as well as reassembly.

8. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4
    If you look in the owners manual that comes with the pistol, it tells you EXACTLY how to re-assemble the thing. Follow it TO THE LETTER and your pistol will go back every time. Deviate from it one bit and forget it.

Seriously, for the first 5-6 years of owning my 22-45, I literally had to get out that manual and follow it...or the thing would NOT go together. Now, I can do it in my sleep.

There is a company that makes a device called the "Speed Strip Kit" or something like that, which installs on your 22-45 or MkII and allows quick take down and re-assembly.

Here it is:

Speed Strip Kit

The 22-45 is a great pistol. Accurate and very reliable and it comes apart very easy. However, it does NOT go back together as easy (which has always seemed weird to me).

Enjoy it...they're great shooters and mine has not given a lick of trouble in over 10 years.

- brickboy240

9. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
  10. gecko0

gecko0 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The issue with mine is the magazine doesn't fully seat, even with a good amount of force (I don't want to use too much, of course). I did not take the magazine(s) apart or do any kind of detailed field strip...just the basic steps.

Thank you for all the responses. I will have to keep trying it from scratch...I thought I did follow each step exactly as all the videos (and manual) detail, including the holding at angles/upside down, trigger tricks, etc, but clearly I'm missing something. I hope I didn't mess something up early on and am now actually doing it right! :shock:

I did check out a new one in the case at a local shop and the magazine worked as expected. This is just frustrating because I haven't even shot this yet since buying it. :sad: The Speed Strip Kit may also be in my future...thank you for sharing that link!

11. Sheldon

Sheldon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it is an issue with the magazines not seating into the magwell deep enough to reliably engage the magazine catch, then there was a thread off a different forum where I read you can remove a little materail from the bottom of the frame where the rear of the magazine baseplate hits against, to allow the magazine to push a little further into the magwell. Someone mentioned you could also just remove the material from the matching spot on the magazine baseplate, so as not to change the frame (more expensive part). If you modify your magazine baseplates, other mags may still not work reliably.......modify the frame and all magazines should work. I will try to find the link and post back here.......

Ok found it: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=501978

12. gecko0

gecko0 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for linking to that thread...that's the exact issue. I ended up getting everything back together and just needed to use a lot more force than I expected on the mags to get them to fully seat. I was at the range with it for the first time yesterday and it worked perfectly once I got used to the nuances of the mags. They seemed to work a bit better with rounds in them as well.

Thanks again!

13. Sheldon

Sheldon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you do the mod mentioned in that thread, the mags would seat more positively with less effort. Sounds like a worthy modification for the added reliability. Small fine file would do the trick.

14. RedRyder

RedRyder XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a final suggestion. I have a MK I and a MK II both strip the same. I actually got the MK II from somebody who could not strip it to clean it ( luck for me ) I ordered owners manual and followed it to the letter. There is a tricky part, but manual shows how to do it

Final note : if the mag went in ok and seated initially ---before I filed or altered this in anyway I would ship it back to Ruger or find somebody local to you that can take it apart a re assemble it.
    Good luck and patience .