Ruger 10/22 questions

Discussion in 'Other Long Gun Talk' started by purple man, Mar 18, 2011.

1. purple man

purple man XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been looking at a .22 rifle to pick up and after looking at two main manufacturers, savage mark II BLVSS and ruger 10 / 22, I have decided on the ruger just out of personal preferance cause it is semi-auto compared to the bolt action which I would perfer on a larger calibor rifle, with that being sayed. I have not shot a ruger 10 / 22 yet but indend to they got 1 at the indoor range just to see how it it before I buy it.

1. I am unaware of the different models, I am talking about barrel diferences, is the target model, with the bull barrel, worth the extra money?

2. Also if I wanted change out the factory stock with; lets say a Boyd's blaster stock (thumb whole stock), how can I compensate for this stock since it is manufactured for a .920 bull barrel, if I have oem barrel?

3. And what is the consensices of bedding the action and barrel to the stock? Is it worth it? Not looking to shoot competition (yet) with it just have fun and accuracy.

4. Having read many forums on the subject what is the thought of replacing the oem trigger to an aftermarket one?

2. C00lHandLuke

C00lHandLuke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    10/22 is probably the MOST customizable .22 rifle out there, endless amounts of parts, drop in trigger kits, stocks, and magazines. If your gonna put a bull barrel just make sure the stock is made for one, they sell two different sizes. I won mine in a raffle at a gun show and LOVE it, its a great gun you wont regret it.

3. juan916

juan916 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The bull barrel will weigh allot more that the regular barrel, if ur going to be just plinking I would recommend the stock barrel and for target shooting the bull barrel I have both and love them both but carrying the bull barrel in the woods all day get's a little tiring

4. imwright1985

imwright1985 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You get a ton of options with the 10/22, if your going for distance You should get the bull barrel no sights, If you are just messing around stay stock. Staying stock will save you lugging a heavier gun around and save money. Check a bunch of other MFG's for stocks.

I should pull my 10/22 out of the safe and play around a little next week.

5. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

A lot of these questions are subject to opinion...

1. The bull barrel is thicker and this reduces (absorbs)the vibrations in the metal as the bullet travels through the bore, this can help with accuracy... keep in mind that a .22 lr has a limited range however and MOA becomes less of an issue.

2. The carbine (smaller diameter) barrel will fit with no problems in a Boyds Blaster stock... heres proof since I have a carbine with this stock...
    [​IMG]

3. Bedding the barrel is similar to the concept of having a thicker barrel in that it should also "float" the barrel itself off of the stock, so it will not be in contact with the barrel channel in the stock. This reduces vibrations from the barrel contacting the wood while the bullet is traveling through the bore and allows the barrel to be more 'harmonic'... again keep in mind the limited range as to whether its worth it.

4.I personally wouldnt waste my money on aftermarket trigger assemblies, I stoned and polished my trigger group myself, but you can also have a gunsmith do it for you instead of paying big $$ for an aftermarket kit that may still require fitting by a gunsmith anyway.

(An interesting note on using the Boyds Blaster stock with the smaller carbine barrel is that it is 100% floated without any modifications to the stock)

6. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I would suggest you go the route I did. I purchased a basic 10/22, got home, and decided I couldn't leave it alone.

Then I won a Gunbroker auction for a Tactical Solutions X-Ring bull threaded and fluted bull barrel. This barrel is ridiculously nice. Its a bull barrel that is lighter than the stock barrel. And one day, when I have a .22 can, I will be able to easily use it.

I then ordered a stock to fit the new barrel. I ended up with a Hogue rubber over molded stock in green. Its not the greatest stock, but its a pretty good stock and it matches the look I was aiming for for my 10/22.

The same day I ordered my stock from Midway USA, I also ordered a Tac Sol muzzle compensator to screw onto my Tac Sol threaded barrel. I don't think it does sh!t, but it sure as he!! looks good!

The same day I did that stuff, I also went on Gunbroker, and won an auction for a Tac Sol scope rail. It really doesn't serve any different purpose than the Ruger scope rail does. But it looks tacti-cool!

And to tie it all together, I ended up at Walmart where I bought a Tasco 3-9x40 scope and some Weaver medium rings. It is more than adequate for this rifle and is working great.

And just as a little finishing touch, I ordered a Tactical Innovations nylon 10/22 buffer and auto bolt release.

Now, I am not saying you should get everything I did, but I highly suggest the Tac Sol barrel. It is sooooooo damn light!!!!

Now all I need is a SilencerCo Sparrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 10/22 is one of those guns that every firearms enthusiast should own.

Its the first firearm I've ever owned.

Very customizeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its addictive, the rifles are very accurate right out of the box. Modifications allow scopes, see through mount, enhanced magazine releases, stocks, barrels, triggers, etc...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vuj-WNhAaA"]YouTube - Ruger 10/22: The Everyman's Rifle, Part 1[/ame]

8. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    one more thing - when it comes to triggers two names come to mind:

Volquartsen - great parts, great accuracy enhancing bits

Kidd - the best out there for 2 stage triggers for the 10/22.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHy2rlTbzis[/ame]

9. zipgun

zipgun XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Buy the basic 10/22 and shoot it a lot before you do anything to it. As was stated, if you buy a Boyd's stock you don't have to do anything since they are made for a bull barrel it will automatically float your stock barrel.

In regard to triggers, many people simply replace the hammer with one from Volquertsen which is said to reduce trigger pull. I have 5 10/22s and I just use the stock trigger and hammer on them.

If you buy a new 10/22 it will come with an extended mag release which works fine. The older 1022s didn't come w/an extended one. If you buy used, you will want to replace it. Another standard mod is the auto bolt release. It is easy to do so don't pay someone to do it.

10. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There is no better 22 rifle. Bull barrels arent all heavy my is a wistlepig barrel super light. There are also carbon fiber ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Spike

Spike XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are planning on shooting with open sights, take a look at replacing the stock iron sights with Tech Sights. One of the best $50 upgrades you can make IMHO.

- Spike

12. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    +1 for the Tech sights

13. misfit-x

misfit-x XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My suggestion is the the cheapest 10/22 you can find. Then you can start making it what you want because trust me, you will start wanting to customize it.

14. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Tons of info on RimfireCentral.com about customizing a 10/22's including trigger work.

15. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    i just got a kidd 2 stage for my 10/22 SBR build and it is AMAZING....sure its expensive but its worth every penny. i got a 3oz/6oz trigger pull on mine and the great thing is both stages are fully adjustable up to 2.5 pounds.

here are some pics of it. it is all aftermarket stuff no ruger parts, i decided to build from scratch.
    the rails are actually part of the receiver, its not something you put over the stock ruger receiver
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]