Rubber Bullets?

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by Nivlac, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nivlac

Nivlac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone ever discussed, or tried, using a less-than-lethal (rubber) round as the first shot fired...then follow up with lethal rounds. I was thinking about trying to leave one of those in the chamber in case of an accidental discharge. That would allow me to feel a little safer about keeping the gun cocked...and if I did have to use it....I know that I'd be firing more than once anyways. I'm sure that this has been discussed before; what do you guys think?

2. XD K7inne09

XD K7inne09 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting point and definitely something to think about...something to remember though is every situation is different and that one round could make a great difference in life or death...In the heat of the moment of a violent attack would you fire the 1st round and lower your pistol or peak around the pistol to see if it worked to give the B.G. another second to work with? If you are in a setting like a mass shooting i guess you could just rack the round out and proceed with real bullets but you will have essentially shorted yourself out of one round...

3. thetravlor

thetravlor XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    If my gun is ever needed, it will be ready and loaded with real bullets. I don't plan on ever using it but there are no second chances. I would never even consider a rubber projectile.

4. billxdm

billxdm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No offense but if thats what you feel, you probably have no business carrying a gun in the first place.

5. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    NO NO AND HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!

first off do you think you will have time to get multiple rounds off? You need to hit them with lethal the first time or leave the gun at home. Secondly a "non lethal round" will not cycle the slide properly!

As a LEO and instructor I would advise against it!

6. Tornadic

Tornadic XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems rubber would have a high coeffecient of friction and be unsuitable to fire. How do they do rubbbber bullets?

Logistically, firing a nonlethal round in a situation where you are exercising deadly force is a bad idea.
    It would be like someone offering a liferaft to a drowning man and him asking for some kids floaties instead.
    Or someone handing you a steak and putting a balloon on your tongue while eating.

The discussion of birdshot in a shotgun for home defense is along these same lines, and deemed a poor choice, if someone is threatening my life I cease to worry for theirs.

7. nyj

nyj XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.

I acquired my XD40 through a trade from someone who wasn't comfortable carrying it because it didn't have a manual safety. The gun ain't going off unless your hand is on the grip safety and the trigger is pulled.

8. Nivlac

Nivlac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand where your coming from. But, I have a long history with long guns and would rather carry a rifle around except that it is kinda impractical. I've owned handguns for quite some time now and spent considerable time at the range over the years...but up until recently never even considered concealed carry. So what I'm getting at, is that I'm not clumsy with guns...just havent gotten used to shoving a loaded and ready-to-fire weapon down my pants...yet. Probably everybody has felt like that early on but we have to start somwhere.

9. Towjam

Towjam XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree 100%. Get a pair of nunchucks.

10. btaylor7474

btaylor7474 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, I think you could get in more trouble using a less lethal route.. If your forced to pull that trigger your better off being lethal and taking out your attacker. But knowingly "injuring" without the intent to kill could land you in more legal trouble then a justified shooting from other stories i have read.

11. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I understand you worry about having the loaded handgun on your hip, alot of people when they first start to carry have this worry in the back of their mind.
    1 No rubber bullets, the first shot out of your SD weapon may be the one to save your lives, plus you could still someone's eye out and have a lawsuit, with a JHP to the eye he won't be around to sue.
    2 Get a good holster that secures the firearm and protects the trigger, no shoving the gun down your pants, don't want tolook like a gangbanger do we.
    3 Wear the loaded gun around the house where you are comfortable, this will get you the confidence that it isn't going to go off on it's own.

Good luck, take your time and gain the confidence as you see fit.

12. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    [​IMG]

13. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sorry, this one was just funny.

[​IMG]

14. Nivlac

Nivlac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys are missing the point entirely! I'm not talking about using less-than-lethal force to stop an attack....and then leave it at that. It would be the first round fired, but would quickly be followed up by normal 124g LETHAL rounds. I'm talking about having one rubber bullet in the chamber in case of accidental discharge (which CAN happen)!... but...if I did have to pull the weapon it would already be cocked and ready to start firing.

15. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1,121 / 55
    No, and I wouldn't even consider it. If I have to draw and fire to neutralize a threat I don't intend to rely on "pencil erasers."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.