RRA Fred Eichler

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Hunter87, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Hunter87

Hunter87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi! New to the forum, but have been reading off of here for as long as XD talk has been around.
    I am not new to the AR scene. I have owned a few over the years and made slight upgrades, and ended up selling them off. I have a generous gun fund at the time and have been looking hard at the Fred Eichler RRA AR. I currently use a Savage in 22-250, but would like a semi auto that I could use in competition (open sight), hunting, and SHTF scenario. Also, just plinking and some run and gun fun with my old army friends. I was thinking the long rail would allow for a long sight radius with BUIS.
    Is this a good option for what I described? Anyone have experience with this rifle? The weight is just under 8 pounds, so not a worry there.

2. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 1
    why not a fixed sight at the end of the barrel?

3. RandyWag

RandyWag XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome to the forum from NC

4. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You might want to check out the new Troy carbine. I picked up one at Dick's Sporting goods for $1099. It has a flip up sight at the end of a 13" rail.

[​IMG]

5. Hunter87

Hunter87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fixed sight is an option yes, but more concerned if anyone has got their hands on this rifle or find any problems with my intended uses for it. There are no dealers where I am at that carry Rock River products.

6. Hunter87

Hunter87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What kind of groups are you shooting with the Troy? I have always put Troy gear on rifles I have sold in the past and love the rails. This RRA advertised a 3/4 MOA, with reports of under 1/2. Just curious how the Troy does.

7. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know yet. I literally just picked it up. Thought I would get to the range this weekend, but the honey-do list keeps growing.

Like you, I have always been impressed with Troy quality, so when I saw they were producing a complete rifle, I decided to give it a try. Based on your requirement for an all-around rifle with a long sight radius, I thought you might want to check it out.

As for RRA's guarantee, I'm pretty sure that's with Match ammo, which I rarely use. The current "AR Rifleman Buyers Guide" I picked up last week at the grocery store happened to test a Fred Eichler Predator. The best group they got was .81" with Black Hills 77gr SMKs. Other ammo was over an inch. I suppose you could try sending it back to RRA if it doesn't achieve 3/4 MOA.

8. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Don't know about the Fred RRA, but a friend of mine bought a Predator Pursuit last year, and it routinely shoots 1/2 m.o.a. or less @ 100 yds. It's really hard to beat RRA for the money.

9. Kent

Kent XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    RRA is great for the money. :D

If you want a great shooting AR and not a MIL-SPEC copy that shoots to MIL-SPEC.....4moa .....+- then get a RRA!

Mine will shoot less than 1moa when I do my part! :p

10. Hunter87

Hunter87 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Contacted RRA, cannot pick up this rifle without the paw print handguard. I am not a huge fan of it, but im not considering it because of its looks. Asked to switch it out with a different rail, but that was a no go.

11. coyote48

coyote48 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchased an Eichler Predator by RRA. It is by far one of the most accurate firearms i have ever owned. I took 5 shots at 100 yds using Hornady V-Max 55 grain bullets. Three shots were through the same hole. The other two were between 1/4 -1/2 MOA. I was using a Nikon Coyote Predator 4 X 12. This scope has circles and not cross hairs. I know it was have been much more accurate with a standard crosshair. I was impressed. Has anyone out there loaded for this Firearm? What was your loading formula? I was using commercial ammo which can get expensive.

12. brandon_

brandon_ XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    I wouldn't buy one if it wasn't what I wanted. You say you're experienced with AR's so build what you want instead of shelling out extra money to replace parts right away.

13. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    It's my experience that you'd do better with online dealers...no sales tax, low or free shipping. Check out Adco, JoeBob's, etc.

I don't shoot with iron sights, so your motivation for acquiring that particular rifle wouldn't apply to me.

14. sparkysteve

sparkysteve XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a RRA ATH Carbine. It's very similar the the Fred Eichler, but has an 18" barrel. I've been happy with it. It shoots under 3/4' groups at 100 yards with factory ammo all day.

Rock River Arms: LAR-15 ATH Carbine

15. dw32005

dw32005 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Have never had a RRA, but have heard nothing but good things from them. The remington R15 is a very nice choice though for hunting. It is pretty light compared to most, and is very accurate.