Right Handed & Left Eye Dominate

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by grandmasterbushell, Mar 20, 2010.

1. grandmasterbushell

grandmasterbushell XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am right handed but left eye dominate, this makes it a little difficult(or atleast in my opinion) to aim correctly. Does anyone have any hints, tips, or tricks to help me out?

2. Houseboat

Houseboat Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have the same issue..shooting pistols for me was not really a problem.However when I wanted an AR I went with Stag because they make an upper with a Left hand ejection port and keeps the brass from flying across your face..

3. human

human XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have the same problem, but it only sucks when i use scopes i keep both eyes open. I had to train myself to see with my right while having my left one open

4. grandmasterbushell

grandmasterbushell XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in the army and was trained to shoot a rifle with cco's both eyed, and i have no prob shooting scopes right eyed, but it just seems different with a pistol. I guess I'm just screwin myself up with it, but still any tips hints or tricks would be helpful to try out.

5. dgcohardcore

dgcohardcore XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    shoot left handed. i have the same issue and decided to try shooting lefty. turns out shoulda started that way. at a minimum, i feel confident using either hand.

6. cdwilliams05

cdwilliams05 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot right handed, it feels very akward left handed for me. Tried and Tried. What helps me is I turn my head slightly to the right, which pushes the left eye over to the right just a bit, and that has really improved on my ability to pull a sight picture from the draw. I keep both eyes open as well.

7. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    It's far easier to learn to shoot cross eye dom than switch hands. I had an eye injury that leaves me seeing close in my left eye & far in my right. I am right handed. With glasses, no problem, w/o, I can NOT see the sights. All you have to do is roll your head slightly to the right & the sights pop right into focus. I have no problem transitioning to this w/o glasses, my right eye can't see & my left can. Accuracy is not diminished & speed is not lost either.

8. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    You can strengthen your right eye and train it to become dominant. When you are shooting rifles put nontransparent scotch tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses so that it forces you to use your right eye but you keep your left eye open. Do this for a few months. You should find your right becoming dominant if you shoot regularly. You can also smear vaseline over the left lens.

I know that you can change eye dominance because I used to run a specialized learning program for high school students and eye dominance was one thing that we worked with..in particular we worked with training the weak eye to work as much as the dominant eye. This helps students read longer wtihout becoming fatigued. Anyway.. best of luck.

brad

9. Smoke Eater

Smoke Eater XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Great to know! I too am cross dominant. Thanks!

10. G.Rick

G.Rick XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Timely thread...same boat here! I'm cross dominate as well. My problem is that it's hard for me to try to close my left eye and keep my right eye fully open to shoot with. It tends to want to close with my left eye...weird, I know...but nonetheless...Have you heard of other people with this issue? Does this training help out?

11. vasubguy

vasubguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a similar problem. I'm right-handed and right eye dominant, but when it came to shooting pistols, i would aim with my left eye (both eyes open)without even realizing it. I was taking a pistol/ rifle/ shotgun course with STS a few years back and one of the instructors called me a gecko and pointed it out to me. It took some retraining, but now I shoot pistols with my right eye and both eyes open...

12. Throttle Junkey

Throttle Junkey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I to have this same challange. The fix for me was to move the gun to your dominate eye, rather than moving your head to the gun. A small change in practice. It works well. In some matches there are weak hand only courses, I think I have an advantage, cause now I'm shooting with the normal eye.

13. wpwarren

wpwarren XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I (and every instructor who has tried to help with this) have a hard time determining eye dominance. It makes it easy for me. I shoot with my right eye when gun is in right hand and left when in my left. although I find myself using my right hand and left eye at times. None of this seems to affect my shooting so I haven't worried about it. Maybe I am lucky