right handed , left eye dominant

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by cybot, Oct 3, 2012.

1. cybot

cybot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A quick question , does anyone have experience with this ? When shooting a handgun I can overcome this by shifting my head to the right so the sights line up better with my left eye. Any tips for rifle shooting ? Is a reflex/ magnifier not the best option ?

2. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +202 / 4
    I am a lefty who is right eye dominate. I shoot rifles with my left eye and pistols with my right. You learn to get used to it.

3. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I shoot pistols with either eye, but I am fastest with letting my dominant eye pick up the sights, which is my left eye. I am right handed. I cannot shoot a rifle with my left hand, but I have managed to overcome the dominance of eyes when shooting a rifle by closing my left eye.

My dad is the same (right handed, left eye dominant) however, he taught himself to shoot mostly left handed with pistols and rifles.

4. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 2
    ^ Like the others have said, there's multiple different ways to do it, and a lot of this is because the degree to which each of us as individuals are cross-dominant is also unique to us.

I'm very cross-dominant. My left eye is very dominant, and I'm very right-hand dominant (both through my natural tendencies as well as the fact that the traditional schooling in Asian countries at the time I grew up was focused on forcing everyone to be right-handed).

For pistol, I shift my presentation so that the gun is aligned with my left eye. This means that I don't have to cock my head funny, and has the added benefit of - with my preferred presentation (reverse Chapman) at full lock of being able to use my right shoulder muscle as an index point for my right chin/cheek, and my left shoulder muscle being indexed on my left earlobe.

Shooting standing up is easy, cybot, but be sure that you try shooting a barricade from your hand-dominant ("right") side: for me, on my right side (I'm also right-handed/left-eye dominant, like you) I'm so cross-dominant that I can come dangerously close to not clearing the barricade with my muzzle even though my two-open-eyes say that both my sights and my muzzle have cleared - it's a simple optical illusion. I need to quickly wink-out my left eye in order to verify.

Similarly, I would urge you to try shooting from positions, too, to figure out if you have to handle the gun differently in order to get a good sight-picture. Prone as well as, for you, right-side "Urban Prone" may be difficult positions.

With long-guns, I either need a rear sight to force my cross-dominance into cooperation (for example, with a simple bead-front on a shotgun, I can, at 25 yards, completely miss a man-sized target high-left, using birdshot, when I've, visually, aimed center-mass!!!) or, alternatively and more preferably, I use an optic.

5. JFcavedweller

JFcavedweller XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say go with whatever works for you. in my case I'm left handed and right eye dominant, but I also have ambliopia: my left eye has poor vision (right has 20/15), and if I try to look through sights with my right eye open I can't even see them. I need to close or block my right eye for that. looking through sights or a scope this works for me well with my right eye, I can leave my left eye open and get peripheral and see perfectly clear with my right even with the different image. I learned to do all my shooting right-handed, though I still practice left-handed pistol shooting just in case

6. Gunsandaccessories

Gunsandaccessories XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do a little bit of research into the C.A.R system. It was invented by Paul Cassel (sp*) and was for cross eye dominant shooting. really cool system

7. wlorton

wlorton XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice to see I am not the only one... I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left handed whenever possible.

8. TeXJ

TeXJ XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While shooting today, my wife was shooting my new 10/22. I noticed that when she was shooting it the gun, right handed, she was leaning way over so that she could use her left eye. Never knew that she was left eye dominant. (we did the dominance test right after) So then I told her to shoot the rifle left handed. A world of difference for her when shooting now.

However, with the pistol it was a little harder for her to shoot left handed. So with some practice we are going to see how to let her shoot her pistol.

It seems from reading this thread people just seem to play with how they shoot till it feels comfortable. She also is far sighted not sure if this will increase the difficulty any? (she wears contacts mainly)

9. PistolEd

PistolEd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a righty with a very dominant left eye so I can sympathize. The thing that has worked for me is practice at home in the basement. I start with the left eye closed, get a sight picture and open the left eye and try to maintain sight picture as long as I can before the left eye takes over. Over time the practice helps and I can acquire the sight quickly with proper sight picture with both eyes open. Unfortunately it seems that it also will fade without regular practice.

Not sure if that helps, but its a good excuse to get the guns out and practice. It also doesn't really matter what gun it is, if you don't want to use your real gun, an airsoft works just as well. Or you could get one of these...

[​IMG]

10. mert

mert XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am the same way, left eye dom. but right handed. I also shoot bow lefty.

11. bigdawgbeav

bigdawgbeav XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Same here. I use my left eye for pistol and right eye for rifle. I'm going to start experimenting with taping my left lens for rifle. Then working on shooting with both eyes open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

12. TeXJ

TeXJ XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advise, the pic didnt show.

13. XDPoint4Ohh

XDPoint4Ohh XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I too am right handed left eye dominant. Found this out when I was in basic training for the Infantry. Somehow though I've managed to train myself to shoot with my right eye, I don't know if it was due to repetitive shooting with my right eye or not but i've somehow managed to train myself that way. I can use both eyes for shooting but I think i'm more accurate with my right eye, even due to the fact that I have to stop the urge to move my left eye into the sight picture.

14. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    similar problem here too......

I shoot pistols right handed and move the gun in front of my eye to compensate.
    I have learned from the start to shoot rifle left handed. (Actually prefer it to right handed shooting actually).

It can be adapted to...... for me, a red dot or holo-sight on a rifle works great... magnified scopes are a pain in the butt for me.

15. cjd3

cjd3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too am a right handed person, but left eye dominant. I retrained a long time ago with rifles to shoot left handed since it was competition shooting. It took a while to get adjusted, but now it's a piece of cake. You think retraining on a rifle or hand gun is hard, try with a bow. You feel quite the fool retraining yourself.

I got an XDM for shooting left handed since it had an ambi release, and racking the slide is always ambidextierous. Since I used to cross sight with my pistols, but a while back I forced myself to shoot left handed at the range. It was totally worth it. I shoot better now left handed than I do right, and it feels more natural. But I still shoot a few right handed magazines to keep familiar.