Review: Taurus PT1911 AR (Accessory Rail)

Discussion in 'M1911' started by Mr. Wolf, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been quietly lurking the 1911 forum here and elsewhere learning about the Taurus PT1911. My summary of the research.
    1: Ambi safety is prone to breakage, but I'd want to replace it with a single sided one if it gives up the ghost.
    2: Customer service is not the best, but this is not my CCW and if the ambi safety breaks, I'll have my gunsmith take care of it anyways (ref: #1).
    3: Accurate, very accurate.
    4: Majority of owners are very happy and have zero breakage issue. Some have true breakages but may get posted online and have disproportionate attention/coverage. Regarding the posts, very few have photos of the breakage, so some postulate that people are trolling or bashing.
    5: Most factory railed 1911 start at ~$1100 (SA and Kimber).
    6: Did I mention it being more accurate than many 1911s costing 3x more?

I decided to get the PT1911 AR, the blued railed version. Finally got it from my local shop after a 6 week wait for $539. Main purpose is for HD and IPSC matches.

[​IMG]

Put 200 rounds through it with zero FTF, FTE or FT anything. Target = 10 - 15 yrds, off hand and double taps, 40 rounds of Winchester 230gf FMJ.

[​IMG]

Streamlight TLR-2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In summary, I really like the weapon. I'll reserve final judgment until after ~1000 rounds and a few matches.
    I'll entertain any questions, comments or corrections.

Cheers,

2. Pinedawg

Pinedawg XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Nice.

I agree that if there are so many breakages, and sights falling off, etc.....
    how come we never see any pictures????

3. ghettocruiser

ghettocruiser XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hmm.. I never liked the 1911s with the acc. rail. However...seeing yours with the TLR-2 mounted changes my mind. That looks pretty cool. I dont think Im going to get one with a rail....but if the right deal came along I wouldnt turn it down!

J.

4. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    My safety kept breaking. Right hand side(lefty safety) would fall off consistently while firing. Guess I never really cared to take pictures of it, or maybe it was that I rushed to get rid of it and didn't have the time. Then again, I bought one of the first released. Everybody was groveling for them, and I got luck and scored one on a "Taurus Manufacturer Day" at my dealer. So, maybe I got one of the junky one that was hastily put together to meet demand.

I would agree that it was reasonably accurate. At the time, I compared it to a Colt Mark IV Gold Cup, and I would say that the three of us that fired them both would all agree that the Gold Cup was more accurate. Definitely more pleasant to shoot.

I didn't have my TRP Operator at the time to compare it to, but I can say I would never give up my Operator for anything. I doubt the PT1911 could hang with it. Would love to get my hands on another one and put them side by side.

Overall, I would say the PT1911 is a very good buy for the money. Glad you are having good success with it. Nice groupings.

5. Mr. Wolf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Sig,

I've shot cheaper end Kimbers and entry level 1911s from Rock Island and SA only, so I don't consider myself a true connoisseur. But of the 1911s I've personally fired, the Taurus so far has been the nicest. Also agree that some of the earlier models might have had some growing pains. And I also agree that it is good value for the money.

Perhaps the recoil is even less due to the weight of the rail and the light/laser.

I think the only thing I might change up is to get larger grips. Although I have average size hands, it feels a bit too thin at times. Holding the 1911 like the XD-9 service causes bony pain at the base of the thumb on my shooting hand.
    The target was shot without laser or light. One flyer to the left while double tapping.

Cheers,

6. redbrd

redbrd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice group.

7. jon45xdtac

jon45xdtac XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nice weapon. Have you had a chance to shoot longer distances like 25 yards?

8. Mr. Wolf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jon,
    Not yet. I'll be shooting single stack in IPSC this weekend and will hit some 25 yrd groupings.
    Stay tuned... more to come.

Cheers,

9. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    If you are planning to use it in competition and home defence I would definately replace the hammer, sear and Safety with quality aftermarket pieces from C&S, Wilson,Les Baer ect. I hate internal locks as I have seen several malfunctions of both the Springfield and Taurus systems. My Springer Loaded ILS lasted 1/2 hour before being replaced with a S&A magwell.

10. ckuplent

ckuplent XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a reason the big smiths work with the brands they do. Will the Taurus work for 90% of people, sure. Just keep an eye on the small things.

11. Mr. Wolf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey folks,

I've been very busy of late, but had a chance to shoot the PT1911 AR in an IPSC match today.

The first round was rather difficult. Due to the lack of practice and unfamiliarity of shooting the weapon under stressful situations, I felt like I was all thumbs. I held the 1911 like I would my XD-9 service, with my thumbs forward and slightly pointed up. This caused several accidental activation of the safety and some failure to eject. Shot ~175 rounds of 230gr @ 875 fps ammo.

The second stage was a bit better. Less malfunction but accuracy was a bit off... not due to anticipation, or the sights, but because I had to shoot through a barrel and the barrel retained the 45 ACP brass and seared some flesh. :evil:

Next stages were a joy to shoot. The added heft of the 1911 and the rail really made the big bore a pleasure to shoot. Follow ups were quick and easy to control. Getting major power factor with the 45 ACP also helped with the gamesmanship of going for a safer C zone shots on some targets while only losing 1 point vs 2 points and 10 for hitting the no-shoot if I were shooting minor power factor.

Went through ~175 rounds total and after the first 50 rounds (when I decided to put my thumb on top of the safety) zero malfunctions. No FTF, FTE or FT anything. The sights took some getting used to, but were quick and spot on.

Total round count = 600, satisfaction = total.

Cheers,

12. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, I agree....I never liked the looks of the 1911s with the full length dust-cover/rail. But this short rail looks great. Pretty much the same lines as a standard (no rail) 1911. Very nice!!!

Good luck with it and happy shooting.

And that price....wow....can't beat that for a 1911 with all those bells and whistles! As far as "breakage".....I would think if anything goes, it would go pretty quickly. And the MIM stuff (which may be the more likely stuff to fail) would probably give you problems right away or not at all. And most of the MIM parts are cheap enough to replace and don't require smithing...stuff like the slide stop, hammer, even the sear if you can take the gun down beyond a field strip. Only thing I would not mess with myself would be the safety and maybe the disconnect.

Parts like the grip safety take almost zero stress, (same with the mainspring housing), so if plastic is good enough for Colt, I'd assume MIM is good enough for any gun

:)

Peace,
    D.

13. charlie.45

charlie.45 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    great gun and price..i do not like light rails on 1911's so unless it was a super good price like 300 or cheaper i'd never get it,i also do not like the ambi safety and would be going back to a stock safety..i think for that price i'd buy a SA GI and get the slide cut to fit some tfo's. and mayby depending on how accurate me and the gun are and get a match grade barrel oh and it would be a ss as well. but anyways it is a nice gun for one with a rail looks real accurate too.

14. AnimalMother

AnimalMother XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What kind of holster are you using? I am having a very hard time finding one that goes over the rail on mine:-x

15. MasLakas

MasLakas XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great Post! I have a PT1911 and of all the problems I have heard of (I have had zero trouble with mine), I feel that using it for IPSC will show any manufacturing or quality issues faster than the occasional range trip.

I am considering shooting the local match this summer and have yet to decide if I should use my XD45 or 1911. I will consider what you said about your fist two stages when I go.