Review: Para Ordnance Expert GI45 1911

Discussion in 'M1911' started by VWTactical, Jan 29, 2009.

1. VWTactical

VWTactical XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ATTENTION! The new Expert GI45 1911 from Para Ordnance is the best 1911 on the market-- for the money, that is. Of course, I say this without any hint of hyperbole. We just received the first unit this afternoon, and let me tell you something, my friends: there is not a single gun on the market with as much intrinsic value. New models displayed at Shot Show are smooth as glass, but when the actual production models show up at dealers-- it's often a completely different animal. Not so with the new Para GI45 1911.

Out of the box, fit and finish are superb. The GI45's slide and frame glide against each another like two sticks of warm butter. The matte black finish is beautiful and contrasts perfectly with the brilliant stainless steel barrel. The Para Expert GI45 sports dovetail, three-dot sights that are quick and easy to acquire. The skeleton hammer and drilled trigger add a modern, semi-custom look. Trigger pull is crisp. However, all the rest of the features are standard mil-spec GI fare-- right down to the subdued black plastic grips. No fancy checkering on the frame, but for the price-- you don't expect a lot of custom features. This is a workhorse 1911, and the price cannot be beat: $453 dealer cost! The Para Ordnance Expert GI-45 ships in a hard case with two stainless 7rd magazines.

This one is sold (to me), but we should have more units on the way soon-- so stay tuned to the website for more inventory to arrive.

Take care,

-- Evan "Haven't been this excited about a milspec 1911 since..." Kostreva

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  2. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Doesnt look Mil Spec to me. Para owes me big after the last P.O.S. I bought with that name on the side. Never again.:mad:

3. griz

griz XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Looks like the Para Expert GI45 1911 just made it onto my short list of "gotta haves". 8)

I'm a current and long time Para owner. Never had an issue with any of them and I carry one for my daily carry.

You can satisfy everyone most of the time and most of them all of the time but you will never satisfy everyone all of the time.

4. v10ACE

v10ACE XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea I just found something to start my Christmas list for next year with ;)

5. psc

psc XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Can't wait to see it up close. Looks great to me. Wish it had been an option this past year, I would have considered!!

6. udannlin

udannlin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i saw and handled one today at my local shop. course being in california, it is not yet legal and dont know if it will be for non-LE. it is a extremely high value piece at the price range. there was a little bit of finish built-up at the back end of the side on the left side. looks like when you over spray and the excess builds up on the corner. Other than that, the gun feels great in hand and everything seems to be put together extremely well. for a GI style gun, it is hard to beat.

7. joeythefish

joeythefish XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I've been ogling these since I saw one on the back cover of Shot Gun News.

8. 05Daytona

05Daytona XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got one for $550.00 out the door.Took it to the range and first the magizine wouldn't catch had to pound the hell out of it,Got a colt clip and it seemed to work better.But the thing would FTF.
    Were going to do a polish job on it and check the magizine release spring,Glad I took the Colt with me.
    I may just place it in my Tankers Holster and build a display case for it!

9. GP1K

GP1K XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've been looking at the Para as well. Also the Taurus PT1911 which is in the same price range looks pretty good. Might haveta see if the local range has em both available for rent. :mrgreen:

10. danp

danp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    I'd like to know why they call it "GI" when it has three dot sights, a lightweight trigger and a skeletonized commander-style hammer.

It may be a nice gun, but if I was going to get a GI gun, I'd go with a Springfield or a surplus gun.

11. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 4
    It also has a flat mainspring housing...not GI if you ask me. No lanyard ring on the housing either.

Its pretty, but I know too many people that bought Para 1911s and had loads of trouble. I don't know why Kimber gets the rep it has...I think the bad rep belongs to Para and Taurus...not Kimber.

I'd also ditch those ugly grips. Any 1911 that calls itself GI needs double diamond walnut grips sorry!

- brickboy240

12. Ske1etor

Ske1etor XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    Kimber gets a bad rep because they came out and went straight to the top of the 1911 world within a couple years of their inception. They have had some QC problems in the past but as far as I can tell most of them are damn decent guns. The Custom II I had was great and the only reason I got rid of it was because obama got elected and I wanted an AR before the democraps brought out the ban-stick. :)

Secondly, they sell 50,000+ 1911's a year and have for quite some time now. Other companies put out much smaller numbers so even if their percentage of defective guns is the same, Kimber still has a larger number of defective guns out there.

I absolutely agree that I would purchase another Kimber LOOOOOOONG before I would even think about purchasing a Taurus or Para 1911.

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 4
    Another complaint I hear alot about Kimber is that they're overpriced.

When I was looking, I could not find another 1911 in the price range of the TLE II that had that many features. Maybe some of their higher grade 1911s are pricey...but the meat and potatoes guns are a deal for the money. I paid well under 800 for the parked, non-rail TLE.

I am still waiting for my Kimber to suck.

Too bad that Para has such spotty QC..their stuff always looks very good.

- brickboy240

14. twitch1706

twitch1706 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It's on my short-list, second only to an AK (and that's due to the fear-mongering about assault weapons becoming banned once again)

To me, "GI" means run-of-the-mill, no bells and whistles. Yeah, it's not a spitting image of the guns our boys used to kick Hitler's ass, but then again it's not billed as such (following my definition of GI, at least.)

15. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Hmmm...might not be the 1911 I'm looking for but to each there own, gun preferences are such a personal thing.