Review of ZERO bullets from Roze Distribution

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by john_bud, Sep 4, 2009.

1. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi,

Thought a quick review may be helpful to some on factory reload bullets from Roze Distribution. I ordered 1000 rounds of 165 JHP in 40 S&W on June 18th. I waited until July 27-8 before contacting them as there is a order delay due to heavy order volume for some reason or other. Well, it turned out that they were having trouble getting the 165 JHP bullets, but they were running 180gr flat nose. I switched the order to that and a few weeks later a heavy box showed up at the door. Naturally, I was on vacation at that time.

Opening the box shows 20 bright yellow boxes of 50 rounds each neatly stacked in the case.
    [​IMG]

The trays are different in the boxes, the head stamps on the brass are different in the boxes too. But what do you expect from mass reloads? All the brass was bright and shiny and the bullets all looked perfect staring at me. If the head stamps were the same you wouldn't have been able to tell them from new.

Well, yesterday I got some gumption and made the trek to the pistol range. Arduous journey -> it's all the way in the back of the property!
    Had to go past the plumb trees, past the apple trees,

[​IMG]

the chicory patch, the brassica patch,
    [​IMG]
    the clover patch
    [​IMG]

to the “range”.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All firing was done at a paced off 30 feet to a line professionally scratched in the dirt by my big toe. Fired off 50 rounds of Federal 180gr flat nose that were bought for cheap at WM. It's functional ammo, but dirty. Smoked like a '50's B movie character actor after every shot. Left the gun and barrel coated with residue. But !! all rounds fired with no failures. That was my baseline to compare to the Zero bullets.

Today, I cleaned and lubed the gun and again made the trek but fired off 50 rounds of the reloaded (remanufactured?) Zero Bullets from Roze. First off I don't have a chronograph so there are no speeds to compare. My "feeling" is that the Zero bullets are a little slower and the Federals are a bit faster. The recoil was less abrupt than the Federal bullets. Not very scientific, but it's all I got.

Next I have to say that I am no longer able to call myself a "good shot". I'm older, slower, fatter, weaker and dumber but what really PO's me is that I am having a hard time seeing the sights clearly. GRRRRR. Old age sucks. At least I'm still good looking! (or maybe not able to distinguish reality ?)

Anyway. At 30' the Federal's grouped 6 3/4" x 6 1/4" for 50 rounds without measureing a couple fliers. It was 8 ¼ x 6 ½ with the fliers. I shot to 2 different paper targets because I was wanting to see where each round was landing.

[​IMG]

I brought a metal plate to tape the target to (as the cardboard was all shot out), but forgot to bring a target. Am I getting old and forgetful or what? The Zero bullets grouped to 6" x 6" for all 50 rounds with a much tighter distribution including the 4-5 fliers. It was just over 4”x4” without them. Hard to say if that's significant as I used bug dope so the skeeters were not bothering me. I did shoot a hole in the target about 3" x 2". I think that it shows good quality control on Rose’s part. I’d hate to think I’m getting my touch back… Oh, there were also zero failures with the Zero bullets, just the same as the others.

[​IMG]

Anyway, that’s what I did yesterday and today. The “Zero” bullets from Roze Distribution seem to be functioning flawlessly and they are a darn sight cheaper than other places. It was about $289.94 for 1000 rounds delivered to the door in boxes of 50. Other bulk reload places just give you a pile of loose rounds for that price and charge you for shipping. While the price of the Zero’s was about the same as the Federals from WM, how many trips would it take to actually find 1000 rounds? I’m thinking 20-30 trips if you are lucky? I know I’ve checked the ammo desk that many times and only scored 400 rounds over the past 4-5 months!

While I may sound like a walking endorsement, I have no financial interest in Rose other than as a place where I order rounds from. With the trouble we all are having finding decent sources of ammo, just wanted to share a good story.

jb

2. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Zero has been known to competition shooters for years for their bullets alone, and many of the top shooters have used their bullets for serious matches with great success. A few years ago they started making loaded ammunition and it is no surprise that it is accurate ammo. I personally have used their bullets whenever I could get them. If I were not reloading I would probably buy their loaded rounds myself.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've loaded 3000 of them in 9mm 147gn hp's and had very good luck with them. Very accurate and smooth to shoot. They're sometimes difficult to find though.

4. john_bud

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I did a search on them here (and other places) and found very little and took a chance on them. Was happy to see the results were above my expectations. Also happy to hear that they make other good products. You never know if it's a fluke or not!

jb

5. waynes_world_45

waynes_world_45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

that's all I use...waiting on an order of 10k right now...been waiting 8 weeks

6. Blatch

Blatch XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Excellent bullets. I used many of their .40S&W JHP 165g. Been pretty hard to get them for the last year. I think Georgia Arms uses their bullets for alot of their own bulk reloads ("canned heat") they sell. At least that's what they told me, and how I found out about Zero.

7. Bellevue_Dude

Bellevue_Dude XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for sharing pictures of both. Your land is beautiful. Must be great fun to "hike" to your own range :)

8. Mad Pick

Mad Pick XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    +1

Very interesting post, OP. Great pictures, and humorous description. :)

9. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    great write up & not bad shooting either!

10. john_bud

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks!

The only issue with the land is when the surrounding corn is cut, the deer movements are re-routed away from it as they have to cross 1/4 mile of suddenly open land on all sides. I've been planting trees to try and get them to bed, but that's tough and takes a long time. Have 5k of various evergreens planted and 75 or so oaks and a couple hundred black walnut. Stupid deer rub them and eat them down so they are more bushes than trees. Grrrr.

The shooting seems to be coming around. I'm torn between shooting more to revive skills and having bullets around. I mean, a gun with no bullets is just an expensive paper weight.

I do need to shoot a couple hundred more, then maybe move the sights a touch. The bullet holes are falling about 2-3" to the left at 10 yds. Not sure if it's me doing something funky with the grip / trigger action or the sights.

jb

11. benp

benp XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Great review. Thanks.

I checked out their website and it looks pretty sweet. I might have to try them since they have a bunch of different flavors.

I have one question that you might be able to answer since you have dealt with them.

What's the difference between "New", "Reload", and "Exchange"?

12. john_bud

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

I think that "New" is new brass that has never been fired all with the same head stamp.

Reload is pre-fired brass that has been reloaded in their factory. (I am assuming they have automatic equipment for reloading and not hundreds of guys doing one round at a time!) It is mixed head stamp brass.

Exchange is a slightly lower price as you are shipping them back fired brass and they are then returning to you complete rounds. If you collect your brass, but don't reload this may be a deal, but it only looked like 30-40 bucks per 1000 savings. I'm saving brass and looking for used reloading equipment. And not finding any right now ...

13. john_bud

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  14. Fordplay

Fordplay XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone use these as of now. Just seen some and the price. :shock:

15. So.Chi.Gunny

So.Chi.Gunny XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holyyyyy necroooopost batman

[​IMG]