Review: Comp-Tac CTAC for XD-9

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by 021411, Dec 3, 2005.

1. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just purchased one at my local stocking dealer. It pays off to have Comp-Tac's HQ in your city. First off I'm 5'6", 245 pounds with some love handles. I haven't made my final adjustments on the holster but damn does it feel comfortable. I'll give my initial review later tonight.
    Hey, big boys need love too. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Finally got everything tightened down where I want it. Let the test begin....

3. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    9 hours later...

I've been wearing it all day today with no ill effects. The holster is still comfortable. I don't have any hotspots from the holster. I did various tasks around the house and even took an afternoon nap with it on. Went to Wally World and did some walking. No problems. Sitting in my car was fine too. My car has sport buckets with larger than normal side bolsters.
    Two thumbs up for the CTAC.

4. retired

retired XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This is one of those tuckable holsters right. If so, how do you or will you explain to someone asking about the 2 clips showing.

I've looked at some of these types of holsters on this forum and the various companys' sites and always wondered about that since the clips are noticable with your shirt tucked in. I would appreciate any answer from anyone on this question. Thanks.

5. gsfmiker

gsfmiker XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ive got one too. get the c-clips they have, and untuck your shirt a little more. in the pics their site has, it shows a guy with tan c-clips and tan belt, but they only sell black. A thick black belt with c-clips is barely noticeable.

6. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    retired, yes they are tuckable. Comp-Tac wells a variety of mount clips that you can switch out. They also have a "velcro" clip that is somewhat stealth. I'm sure no one will notice it.

[​IMG]

7. SLYDER

SLYDER XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got the c-clips on mine and no one has ever noticed or said a thing. I have heard of people using the velcro, I would think that would be for "extreme" concealment. :D The little c-clips just blend in great.

8. R/T Performance

R/T Performance XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I clip my phone by the front clip and haven't ever had anyone notice with the c-clips or standard.
    P.s. if you want brown go buy some vinyl die at the local parts store personally I like Black

9. dave2184

dave2184 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the J clips on mine no one has said anything yet.

10. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never wear my shirts tucked. Standard clips have never been a problem. If I did have to tuck my shirt in, my belt is black anyway. People probably wouldn't notice. It's usually other concealed carry people that make out other CCWs...

11. wgnzlz

wgnzlz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks 021411, I will have to look into this holster. I am about the same size as you and was unsure how an iwb holster and gun would feel pressing against my "love handles" all day. lol!

12. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No prob.. Now what may be a problem is our build. My thighs aren't 'big' so the holster doesn't dig into my leg. I'm mainly heavy up top if you will. Get it and try it. I'm sure someone will take it off your hands if it's really not for you.

13. Mountain Cop

Mountain Cop XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Retired: I use exclusively this holster when I'm off duty. I have never been asked about the clips (I use the C clips). I use a tan belt, not a black one, so you'd think that someone would notice. I went to a three day training with a fellow deputy once and wore the CTAC. On the third day he asked me why I wasn't carrying. It could be my build, but it seems to conceal really well. Just for reference I am about 5'09", 160lbs. I just figured that if the clips came up I would lie and say it was for my colostomy bag...

I usually just wear it under a t-shirt untucked, but have used it when wearing every style of shirt I wear, including shirt and tie. I have never had anyone notice it.

FWIW, MC

14. R.E.Lee

R.E.Lee XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Great Post!

Do you ever have a problem with the top of the C-Clip sliding off of your belt? Some guys in another thread were saying that because their bodies werent applying enough pressure up against the clips to keep them snug to the belt, they would tend to slip off and pull the pants down a little below the belt...

I ask because your size is in the same ballpark as me..

Thanks in advance

15. Mountain Cop

Mountain Cop XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had them slip a little, but a high-quality gun belt seems to help. I don't know why, it could be the extra rigidity or thickness. In any case, since I've started using a Galco belt I haven't had the problem.

MC