Springfield XD Forum banner

Removing the loaded chamber indicator

7K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  XDM_John 
#1 ·
Have any of you guys/gals removed your loaded chamber indicator and shot it without it ? If so did you keep it out ? And was there any gas that came out by the hole left ? I doubt there would be but you never know .
Just wondering if any of you guys run your XD's without it and what you think. Any information is appreciated .

#8 ·
Hey, is it too late to join the why crowd? I want in before goats.

#11 ·
I just dont like anything grabbing hold of my cartridges other than the extractor. My XD9 fullsize is the only gun I have ever owned that has a LCI like it.
My 1911's , Glocks , and Ruger P-Series dont have them . I doubt that I will run my XD9 so long that it may get gunked up around the LCI but it has happened to some guns.

#14 ·
I think I'd be more concerned with it cycling correctly. Recoil pressure is calibrated with it on. While I wouldn't think you'd lose much with the pressure that would escape if it was removed you never know. Plus all that extra powder blast being in your face.

SA could've put it on the side but they chose the top for a reason.

#16 ·
Have any of you guys/gals removed your loaded chamber indicator and shot it without it ? If so did you keep it out ? And was there any gas that came out by the hole left ? I doubt there would be but you never know .
Just wondering if any of you guys run your XD's without it and what you think. Any information is appreciated .
Not on purpose. I've had gunk get caught up in the indicator and it was stuck in the up position. Called SA and they told me how to remove and clean it. Also said that it won't hurt anything if it's not in place. Shot a competition (USPSA) or two with it out before I got it cleaned out and back on the slide. So the short answer to your questions... Yes. No. No.

Coach.

#25 ·
Not on purpose. I've had gunk get caught up in the indicator and it was stuck in the up position. Called SA and they told me how to remove and clean it. Also said that it won't hurt anything if it's not in place. Shot a competition (USPSA) or two with it out before I got it cleaned out and back on the slide. So the short answer to your questions... Yes. No. No.

Coach.
Thanks for an honest and very good response ! I am going to pop out the pin and take the loaded chamber indicator out. I dont like them nor use them . Thanks !

#17 ·
I think I'd be more concerned with it cycling correctly. Recoil pressure is calibrated with it on. While I wouldn't think you'd lose much with the pressure that would escape if it was removed you never know. Plus all that extra powder blast being in your face.

SA could've put it on the side but they chose the top for a reason.
There is no pressure at the LCI unless you have a case failure, it does not have any effect on recoil or functioning.
Don

#19 ·
Not really the point. I have one because it came with my XD. I don't functionally use it. If they stick up like the SR9c pictured above I think it would hinder holstering with one in the chamber.

Yes I'm on my phone. No I'm not driving.

#21 ·
The reason that I like it is because you don't have to look at the gun to determine if it is loaded. Just run your finger over the indicator, if it's not up, the gun has no cartridge in the chamber. There is no way it can be loaded without the indicator being up. If you want to carry with 1 in the chamber, make sure the indicator is up. It works especially well in pitch dark situations.

#23 ·
As for gunk - could jam it up to give false loaded indication but can't jam down - round will overcome gunk. But never trust as sign of unloaded, always verify the good old fashioned way.

Reactions: Jimmycrackcorn
#26 ·
CdninAZ said it right. never trust any mechanical device. always check with your eyes.
i see no real reason to have one (lci) on a pistol.
gun has mag in it = one is in the chamber.

but here in Ca it would be better to leave a gun as stock as possible if it is to be a carry or self defense item.

lawyer thing.

#28 ·
yep. But to be clear as followup to my last post - I see no reason to remove it. Hurts nothing. I do use it as an easy and quick confirmation of chambered after the make ready command in competition.

#32 ·
/\ Winner winner chicken dinner

#33 · (Edited)
Why is it so hard to get a decent answer to a simple question without getting a bunch of smartass comments ?
It's wierd to hear all these rude comments about me asking about taking out my LCI but you never see anyone making rude ass comments over people modifying their 1911's such as changing out mainspring housing for flat ones , pinning the grip saftey's , changing out series 80's to a 70 , and so on .

#36 ·
Why is it so hard to get a decent answer to a simple question without getting a bunch of smartass comments ?
It's wierd to hear all these rude comments about me asking about taking out my LCI but you never see anyone making rude ass comments over people modifying their 1911's such as changing out mainspring housing for flat ones , pinning the grip saftey's , changing out series 80's to a 70 , and so on .
It will function just fine without a LCI and there isn't going to be gasses coming out the hole. But if you really don't like it and dont want a hole in the top of the slide, you could grind the tab off the bottom the case pushes up on and the lci will always be flush with the top of the slide. Probably some liability issues if it is ever sold.

#34 ·
Other pistols such as the newer Sig Pro models have a hole, so apparently not an issue if the hole is not so large as to provide insufficient case support. History shows this isn't an issue with the cut for the LCI in the XD. I think its excess parts but have found no reason yet to remove it. I'm curious what the guys with race guns do with it..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.