Remington 700 SPS TACT VS. 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD

Discussion in 'Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles' started by USCG_C130, Nov 14, 2011.

1. USCG_C130

USCG_C130 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi guy well im new to to the precision shooting whorl and am looking to get my first rifle i was between the savage and the Remington 700, but have mainly decided on the 700 (that is unless i find a killer deal on a savage) but my question is which rifle of these 2 do you think will fit the bill for me best, they are the exact same except the AAc-SD has a threaded barrel and the rate of twist is 1/10 and the regular tactical is 1 /12. the price difference is only about 10-30 $$ on buds and buds police supply, i don't plan on changing the stock right away and really hate that green and grey one, but can live with it, but if any of you have any pro and con on these both please give a newbie your knowledge. oh and i plan on mainly just shooting targets maybe the occasionally hunt, and we also have a range out by me about 45 mins away that is 1000 yards and would like to be proficient out as far as possible.

2. USCG_C130

USCG_C130 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    also wanted to add from all i have read that 1/12 twist is good for 140-180 gr round and 1/10 is good for 150-220 gr round is there any advantage to a heavier bullet other than helping so the wind doesn't deflect the bullet as much? or would a 1/12 be good for hunting and targets?

3. bdavison

bdavison XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They put the 1 in 10 twist on the threaded version because it works better with subsonic rounds. At 1 in 12, subsonic rounds tend to wobble a bit. If you arent planning on going suppressed...go for 1 in 12 twist.

Then run the Sierra Matchking rounds.

I wouldnt recommend the 1/10 twist if you are really planning on trying some 1000yd shots. The 1/12 will serve much better at those ranges.

4. nonnieselman

nonnieselman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lil late on this but,
    I have the aac-sd with the 10 twist amd it does well.
    I shoot it in local 600yd F-Class matchs with 175gr SMK loaded in Lapua brass with varget. It will 6-7" groups at 600 if you can read the wind. Not all that shabby from a factory rifle with a crappy stock.

5. Solhays85

Solhays85 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Either would be a great rifle. 1-10 isn't bad at all. The 168gr is what they test and suggest people use when firing. 175gr SMK seems to be the gold standard for long range for heavier rounds. 1-12 is common, and the PALMA guys use 1-14 for lighter bullets. 1000 yards is a heck of a shot for a factory rifle with out any mods. You can do it, but I doubt with any type of consistancy. Those type of rifles have, match barrels mated to a chamber, the best mounts, rings, scope and a good trigger, long with a rock solid stock. A lot of factors come into play. The 700 is a great base to start with, there is a lot of aftermarket and you can build the 1000yard gun you want from the 700 action. Here is some good links.
    http://www.vsrpa.org/Long_Range_Target_Shooting.pdf
    Ultimate Sniper Rifle – 3 Inches at 1000 Yards – TacticalRifles.net
    .308 Winchester Cartridge Guide
    Top Gun's Trials-Winning .308

6. SGS

SGS XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the sps tac.308 1in 12 shoot awesome at 880 y. its not stock but barrel is at 20 inches!! Great for 168's!!!

!!!!!Later Stacey!!!!!