Remington 1917 30-06 Price?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by UtahConcealer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. UtahConcealer

UtahConcealer XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Everybody,
    I recently aquired a Remington 1917 rifle in great condition. Shot about 10 rounds through it last weekend and it shot straight as an arrow. I was just curious if anyone else out there has one of these and what I might be able to get for it if I was to sell it. I haven't aquired my XD as of yet and was thinking of possibly selling the 1917 to get the XD. Any input on this rifle for any of your junkies out there!?!? Thanks in advance!

2. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    [​IMG]
    U.S.A. Model of 1917 (.30-06) mfg. by Eddystone in November, 1917. Excellent condition with 95% or better Parkerized finish on metal and quite a rough bore. Stock has no cartouches, but several small eagle-head stamps on bottom. Not import-marked. . . . $675.

I got mine in simular condition for $500, just search the auction sites and remember, you sell it for what you want-but don't gouge anyone nor short change youeself. Sometimes the surplus fairies remeber you!:p

3. UtahConcealer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's the one. Where do you think I would go about selling one of these? Can you point me in the direction of a good auction site? And would you even consider selling this if you had one <well, I guess you do have one>. Would I be better off just savin the $$ for my XD versus selling this 1917 to get it? What do you think?

4. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Save it for when you REALLY need the cash.....XDs are cheaper than that rifle, and that rifle will only gain in value. Seriously, you have no idea how many times I have kicked myself in the arse for what I have sold to get something new because I was in a hurry, soulda waited and save my cash.

That is unless you have no intrest in that rifle, go here and browse
    http://www.gunboards.com/forums/default.asp, they have a trader and you can find some valuable info on just about anything. I'd still keep it though.....

5. JimmieD

JimmieD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    Yes, as a huge fan of old milsurp bolt guns...I'd say DO NOT sell it!

Take a look around...the absolute BEST BET in a firearm that will go up in value no matter what (other than Colt Single Action Armies) is any US military surplus rifle.

The Springfield, Garand, Carbine, M1911A1 and yes, the M1917 will steadily go up in value, as these firearms become older and their numbers narrow. Although the M1903 Springfield is better known and you see more for sale, they actually fielded more M1917s than M1903s in WWI.

The rifle Sgt. Alvin York used in battle to win the Congressional Medal of Honor was an M1917, not a M1903 like the Gary Cooper movie would lead you to believe. (if you don't know the story of Sgt. Alvin York...Google him...you might decide to keep the rifle, after reading his story)

Honestly, even though I own two M1903s, I think the M1917 is a better rifle. Why? Well, the sights are not as dinky as the ones on the M1903. The M1917 has a more durable one piece firing pin and is generally a stouter action. Its a bit thicker and heavier than a M1903, but you simply don't see lots of them for sale on the used market, though.

If you have a decent, all matching all original Remmy M1917 (...and it sounds like you do), I'd say keep it! Get a matching Remmy bayonet (e-bay) and a nice M1907 sling and squirrel it away. Later on, you'll be sorry you traded that historically important old warhorse...trust me!

- Brickboy240

7. UtahConcealer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, after reading everyones posts, I've decided to keep the old 1917. I did fire it and it does shoot pretty sweet and would be cool to pass down to my son later down the road. I did a search on Ebay and couldn't find a bayonet or sling for it. Is anyone willing to search and link me to something so I can complete this bad boy? Thanks in advance.

8. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Always wanted a P-17 or even a P-14 (same rifle chambered in .303 British) would do nicely ;)
    Do your homework and you should be able to find a good bayonet on the internet or maybe a gun show? The gun show would probably be better, since you can actually see if first hand. You just have to know what you are looking for so that you don't get a reproduction or a junker someone slapped on eBay.
    A original sling may be very difficult to find since leather tends to degrade as time goes by. In this case a repro maybe your only choice.
    I've read that the weakest link on these P-series rifles is the extractor, so you may want to keep an eye out for a extra.
    Keep the rifle as original as possible and one day your son will have something to cherish and enjoy. :D
    Have fun, shoot safe.

9. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The P-14's are getting rarer than the 17's, in the 80's some doorknob had the Idea to convert a bunch of them into magnum sporters in 7mag, 300 Win mag and even a few into .338 win mag. I can remember a full rack of them at my local gun store in the $300 range.

10. cadejo69

cadejo69 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I finaly get to see what it looks like, my cousin in Nicaragua has one that was taken there by the Marines in 1926 or '36, he promised it to me, but I kept blowing him off(what do I want an old rifle for...), I may have to tell him to save it for me:eek:

11. UtahConcealer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, it is a pretty sweet gun. I'll have to get the bayonete and strap for it for sure.
    Thanks for everybodys help.
    UC

12. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    You could not find an M1907 leather sling online? Really?

The M1917 rifle took the M1907 sling, that was also the standard sling for the 03 Springer and the Garand. They're pretty common and repros (good ones even) are easy to find.

Check Fulton Armory or Major Dick Culver's web boards or maybe Cheaper Than Dirt. Turner Saddlery used to make a very nice repro M1907 sling as well.

When you learn how to properly use the M1907 sling, you'll appreciate its aid to good shooting. I have three of these slings (bought from Fulton Armory...years ago) and use them on my sporting rifles as well.

The bayonet? Actually, Aim Surplus had a nice batch a while back...don't know if they sold out. Try Fulton Armorry for the bayonet or Dick Culver's shooting pages, for one in the classifieds section.

Neither of these items is rare or overly difficult to find. Be sure and order a case of the Korean made M2 30-06 ball ammo thats still around - its not overly expensive but good shooting ammo.

Glad you decided to keep the rifle...they're really good shooters that will only go up in value later on.

- Brickboy240