Reloading recipe for 40 SW Hornady 155gr. HP/XTP

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by dynamowhum, Feb 27, 2010.

1. dynamowhum

dynamowhum XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To go along with my new press I got these on hand and 500 more coming. I have Hodgdon HP-38 and Longshot on hand. Can someone hook a brother up for some medium to full on with these components. I have CCI #500 primers as well. Thanks in advance.

2. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

don

3. Noah Mercy

Noah Mercy XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use the max load listed of HP-38 (actually I use Win 231, but data is identical). The powder meters very well and I get very respectable accuracy. Powder fouling seemed to get lighter the higher my powder charge went, hence the reason I load to the top of the chart. My XD hasn't shown any signs of high pressure with this load.

I have recently begun experimenting with Longshot, loading some +P 38s for my LCR, so I can't expound on it's use in auto cartridges. I will say, though, it gives screaming velocities at what seems to be moderate pressures, so if you're looking for a thumper load, it might be a good place to start.

:mrgreen:

4. dynamowhum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gentlemen thank you both very much. Dglock the data site was great. I now have that book marked. I looked for the data like this but could not find it. Shows my poor skills in searching the net. Maybe I should have slept at Hotel 8. You folks have a great day. Will let all know how it goes.

5. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I havent tried Longshot with lighter bullets in the 40, but with 180grn it produces very good velocities with loads not even close to maximum. With only 7grn of the stuff and an S&S cast lead bullet of 180grn and an OAL of 1.128, I was getting an average of 1038fps in an XD40 4" with a standard deviation of 13.9fps over 20 shots. It was very accurate too! I tried it with several other bullet types (Berry plated, Rainer, Zero HP) all with similar results. Since these loads were all at 7grns of Longshot, and you can supposedly go up to 8.0 grns (though I see no real reason to do so) I think it is the velocity king of the .40 at this time.

6. dynamowhum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very good to hear. I am looking forward to working with it and see what I get. I have no intention of getting max loads if I can get adequate expansion without doing so. I also have some 155gr rainers coming from midway. Have a great day.