Relaoding - Cost to start

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by DodgyWop, Jan 20, 2013.

1. DodgyWop

DodgyWop XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With the tax return coming in in the next few months, I'm considering possibly trying to get into reloading.

I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a set up.

Should I buy a kit? Should I piece it together?

If I get a kit, what's a good recommended kit, and what is the approximate start up cost to get set up?

I'm looking at reloading .45ACP, .270 Win, and .40 S&W to begin with.

Thanks for any help!

2. khanh

khanh XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I started reloading about 2 years ago: setup simple Lee turret system, been very happy with it.

Reloading is very well worth it if you tend to shoot alot, 45acp and 40sw will pay for itself really quick, higher caliber rifle rounds you be very happy to reload, you save alot and if very meticulous you will make better rounds.

I setup my Lee turret system with: 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 223,
    Rcbs powder dispense, scale, calipers, bullet puller, everything needed for
    Near $500.00

If you shoot several hundred rounds per session you will pay for the reload kit in less then 1 year.

Best part for me is knowing that you made the actual bullet yourself using the actual components.

One big warning: if you are not a Careful Person and you are careless, you can really get hurt or worse yet get yourself killed if you, i.e: double charge, load a round with no powder and get a bullet lodged in barrel and not realize it and then you shoot a second round , this can be deadly!

But if you are careful, this is a wonderful hobbie

Ask lots of questions
    Khanh

3. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
  4. mdxdm

mdxdm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Id say $500 is the starting point for gear.

5. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    IF you do not need a high volume of ammo, most of us do NOT, then the Lee Classic Turret is a pretty good press. Fast enough to keep you shooting every week w/o breaking the bank. The kit from Kempf's is better than the others, it gives you a better scale, the Lee is crap, & can upgrade to an adjustable measure, far better than a limiting fixed measure. The cost of ammo today, I can't imagein NOT reloading. As noted, you can get everything you need for under $500. You'll save 50% on your ammo cost, the gear will be paid for in 1-2yrs.

6. DodgyWop

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome. Sounds like Lee is the way to go. Also that Kempf kit sounds great. I'll probably end up ordering from them.

What else should I factor in addition to the kit? (obviously a manual is a must)

Thanks!

7. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  8. DodgyWop

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to Lee's site

"Deactivate the Auto index feature and you can batch reload the longest rifle cartridges."

Reloading Presses - Lee Precision

Not sure if that clarifies it or not though since I have no idea what the "auto index" is :D

9. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am not sure of everything that comes in the kit, but a set of calipers is a must, I like dial, they always work vs elec dig. At some point you will want to clean your brass better than just rolling them around in a wet towel. Most use dry media tumblers, but there are liquid solutions that are cheap & easy, you just have to dry the cases befreo reloading, PITA. The Lee kit will come w/ the Lee manula, a marginal book at best. I would also get the Lyman #49 &/or Speer #14, very good manuals.

10. DodgyWop

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, looking into this, I already planned on buying a tumbler, they aren't too expensive.

I've also seen a lot of people recommend that Lyman's manual. I'll probably grab that here in the next couple weeks.

11. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I like the Lyman because it has data for jacketed & lead bullets. Since plated load between, it's an easy extrapolation.;)

12. eng811ine

eng811ine XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lee Classic Turret Press is a great start. My setup cost me roughly $600 for the press, .45acp and .223 dies, pro-auto disk powder measure, double disk kit, RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale, digital caliper, tumbler and Lee hand trimming/deburring setup. I can load about 100rnds an hour which is plenty for me for now. Great hobby, very relaxing.

13. Boominaudio

Boominaudio XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the lee load master, lost of Youtube videos for things not covered in the manual lol. loaded 500ish rounds on my friends press (lee load master) and around 1000 on mine and it's way cool and worth the investment!!

14. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I probably won't have a progressive until LEE brings one out based on the Classic Turret press. I get by very well with my REDDING Boss SS and the LEE Classic Turret. I think a LEE progressive based on the Classic Turret will be their best yet and comparable to progressives that are more expensive. I probably spend more time reloading than what's necessary to some, but I still enjoy it very much and it relaxes me.

Now, I have to admit my bias. Before I spend Dillon $, I'm much more apt to buy a new gun! There, I'm out of the closet! ;)

15. DodgyWop

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went and did some pricing on getting what I think will be a decent setup

A lot of the tools I'll get straight from Kempf...

Shopping list. Only going for pistol calibers right now. Will move to rifle later on (I shoot rifles FAR less and can just by factory)

Reloading Tools:

Kempf:

Kempf Lee Classic Turret Press w/Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure - $232.90
    Lee .45 ACP Deluxe Pistol Die Set - $44.95
    Lee .40 S&W Deluxe Pistol Die Set - $44.95
    2nd 4 hole Turret - $11.95
    Lyman's 49th Edition Manual - $23.95
    Square Ratchet Gears - $2.00
    Kinetic Bullet Puller - $16.92
    Cabelas 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit - $69.99
    RCBS Model 5-0-5 Scale - $94.99
    Digital Calipers: $25.00

Materials (depending on availability):

.40 S&W:

Alliant Power Pistol Powder - 1lb - $16.99
    CCI #500 1000 Count Primers - $29.99
    Rainier Leadsafe Bullets 165gr Plated RNFP 500 Count - $63.99

.45 ACP:

Alliant Bullseye Powder - 1lb - $16.99
    CCI #300 1000 Count Primers - $29.99
    Rainier Leadsafe Bullets 200gr Plated Round Nose 500 Count - $65.99

Grand Total (without shipping): $791.54

Does that about cover it?

16. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Keep in mind the cost of ammo & your time invested to make it. Even a high $$ Dillon 650 w/ everything is less than $1200. Over a 20yr shooting span, that is $5/month. Really, you do not have $5/m? Not that everyone needs a DIllon 650, my point is, don;t let the gear cost gt in the way, it's quite cheap when you start adding up the cost of factory ammo. Now with an ammo shortage, reloading is even more desireable because you always have ammo if you stock a reasonable amount of primers & powder.
    Forget the plated bullets. Precision Delta sells FMJ for what you pay for plated. Plated do NOT load like FMJ, & there is precious little plated bullet data. Yes you will have to order 2000, so what, they don't go bad. The only thing I do not buy in bulk is first time powder choice. If you hate it, you will have spent a lot of money to throw away 7# of powder. Buy 1# locally, try it, if you love it, then buy 8# in bulk to save money, always throw in at least 2K primers with your powder order. IMO, switch out the BE for W231. Noob reloaders need margin for error, BE offers little.

17. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Sounds like you've got it covered with a couple of exceptions. You didn't mention the LEE Safety Prime system so does it come with the press kit?

Also, spending $25 and expecting to get a good digital caliper won't work. It will be giving you false readings in short order. Get a DIAL caliper for the same money, it will probably be chinese, but in my experience they are still accurate and will stay that way a lot longer than a cheap digital. ;)

Also, I think you can do better than Power Pistol for .40 S&W and Bullseye for .45 ACP. For .40, I'd get Ramshot Silhouette, True Blue or WSF. For .45 ACP, I'd get Ramshot ZIP, W231/HP38 or WST. These are all ball/spherical powders that will meter much better and perform better in general compared to the powders you list. As for bullets, I'd rather use cast lead than plated even if you're just starting out but as fred says, if you can get FMJ for near the same money that's what I'd do, but I'd go a step further and get a good JHP like the ZERO's at ROZE Dist.

18. DodgyWop

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wonderful info and exactly the things I want to know.

Thanks, you may have just saved me a headache :D

19. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    And they always work! Nothing worse than reloading & your battery dies or like my FA, the thing just quits all together, never again. SS dial all the way, not digicool, but they always work.

20. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Also, the Dillon beam scale is the same scale about $25 cheaper & blue.