Redding T-7 press?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by richeyo2, Jan 21, 2013.

1. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone using the Redding T-7?

It will be my first press, looking at a Dillon but caliber quick change over gets expensive.

Can't decide to go progressive or not. Have been saving brass for a long while & saved to buy a press 3 diff. times. Everytime I went to get one I'd come home w/a new rifle or pistol.

But w/ammo way up I figure now is the time, probably only get worse.

2. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 3
    I'm a gig fan of REDDING products. I have the Boss press and I only buy REDDING dies because they're the best I've ever used. I thought about a turret press a lot over the years before I bought one but the only real advantage of the T-7 or the Lyman is that you adjust your dies once and leave 'em alone, but you really don't get much of a production advantage over a SS. When the LEE Classic Turret press came out I waited about a year and a half and bought one. You can use it and manually index or get the highest production out of it in auto index mode. It also has Top-Dead-Center like REDDINGs do. Once you become proficient you can get up to 200 rounds per hour of handgun ammo. And since I like to reload for the enjoyment, I also get a kick out of the production rate. Just my opinion, but I feel sure that LEE will introduce a progressive based on the Classic Turret and all you'll need to turn yours into a progressive will be the update kit. I use REDDING dies on mine and a good way to go would be with the REDDING Pro series dies that are made for progressives and buy the LEE powder through expander die for the LEE Pro Auto Disk powder measure as I'm sure it will be used on their progressive when it becomes available. You'll also want to add the Safety Prime system and I have better luck with Winchester primers than I do with CCI. Guess it's something about the nickel plating making them slicker but they will flip in the Chute. Might be that other brands of non nickel plated primers will work as well but all I use are CCI and Winchester primers. ;)

3. richeyo2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the input... I like the T-7 for the fact I should be able to set up 2 calibers on one turret. I'm still looking & will look some more at the Lee.

A Dillon would be nice but caliber changes get expensive!

4. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 3
    I know it's a little hard to get by the LEE is junk reputation, but with their two latest presses, they got it right. The only other LEE product I use is the Autoprime. As far as leaving your dies in place, turrets for the LCT are pretty inexpensive and swap out with little effort. I'd be willing to bet that LEE makes a progressive based on the Classic Turret and like I said in another thread, before I spend Dillon $ on a press, I'm more apt to buy a new gun. ;)

5. Alpha_Leader

Alpha_Leader XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been reloading 45acp for several years now.

I started on a lee single stage "Breech Lock Challenger Press with Bushings" with the push button changeable die bushings. Great press. My 8 year old boy uses to de-prime all my shot brass for me !! Love that kid !!!

I now use a lee load master to with the auto shell loader with multi tube, auto prime, and bullet feeder with multi tube. With all the attachments the loader works like a charm. I used only lee dies for the 45acp. I am not doing precision ammo with this press. Keep that in mind. I can really push out the ammo. I have loaded over 2000 rounds of ammo with this press and I am really impressed with the quality of pistol ammo it puts out. I use this ammo for storage and pistol matches. Close range work only.

I am looking at doing some precision rifle work. At this stage I am just looking and studying. I think I will use my single stage and use redding or RCBS match dies.

Just my 2 cents.

Transmission terminated............

6. richeyo2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking still, but leaning towards the LEE...Been using a friends Dillon but caliber swap is a pain IMO. Maybe after you do it a few times it gets easier IDK.

7. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 3
    richeyo2, it's so easy with the LEE Classic Turret that you'll have to experience it to get where I'm coming from. It is a precision tool. ;)

8. richeyo2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks man, I've been watching youtube on both the :ee & the Redding. Still deciding.