Rear sight removal tips/tricks & ???s

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by NavyGuy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. NavyGuy

NavyGuy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi im the FNG, little about me im active duty Navy. I own a XD-40 subcompact. Im 29 and live in Virgina Beach.

Ok so I just picked up the Laserlyte rear laser for my XD-40, I have taken it to two gunsmiths and they have told me that they refuse to work on them due to the sights being heat pressed in.... :???: I want to try and install the sight my self but if two smiths say its hard, I'm kinda afraid to try it. Dose anyone have any tricks/tip on removing the rear sight. I was going to get a removal tool but cant justify spending $150+ for something that I will use maybe 3 times.

Thank you,
    NavyGuy

2. Peelthis

Peelthis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi and Welcome,
    I grew up in Va Beach! Miss it sometimes...lol. Have you tried Bob's gun range, in Norfolk, they usually do good work. Well they did its been a few years since I've visited that place. As long as your careful, you can use a punch tool to get the rear sight out but that's at your own risk. Not sure about the tool it says on the website that most of the tools are not to be used on factory sights. Hope some of this helps, take care and good luck.

3. Bill in San Jose

Bill in San Jose XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Contact SA custom shop. They'll press old sight out free, minimal cost to install new. You don't need FFL to ship only the slide. Best way.

The problem is installing the new sight without pounding it in and ruining it.

4. Falcon31

Falcon31 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there is a way to do it. but it takes a steady hand and some tools. i would highly recommend finding a gunsmith to do it for you. might cost you a couple of bucks but better that then risk damaging your firearm.

5. XDM bitone 40

XDM bitone 40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Read my posted...I just replace mine... Yea the factory sights are well Scrap.
    :cool:

6. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well

Springfield Charges 65.00 and has a two week turnaround.

XDM bitone 40: used an air chisel to pound out his sights, if you don`t have an air chisel or don't want to take the chance messing your slide up. Props to XDM for having the skill to take out his sights. Before you attempt it your self ask your self what is your skill level and do you want to take the chance check out my page on mishaps from people that thought they had the skill:
    DIY Gone Wrong

This is just a small example of what can go wrong:
    [​IMG]

If you don't want to try it your self and don't trust your smith. I will change them for you for 20.00 and that includes the return shipping with a 24 hr turnaround. Plus I warrant my work so if I break your sights I replace them, if I damage your slide I fix it. You just spent 100.00 on a new sight why chance having it messed up. Oh you can not use the air chisel to install the laser.

7. NavyGuy

NavyGuy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ajamesp51

Thanks for the reply, after looking and your DIY page im scared s*%tless to try this myself. I called a smith and he said that he could do it for me. I am going to try him, if for some reason he cant do it. you will be getting my slide. :)

8. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thats a good Idea, I have at least 25 more pages that I am working on for the mess up area to show examples of people who were over their head. You just have to know your skill level and be able to accept what could be damaged if you try it your self.

9. Nacho Man

Nacho Man XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my favorite is the epoxied sights pics. i remember seeing those pics a while back when first visiting the website. im no gunsmith but i can see some straight up negligence on sight swap. if those were my guns id be pissed.

10. rabies

rabies XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iv seen a video of a guy using an airhamer 0.0

i used a dremmel and cut my factory ones off
    and filed to size my xs 24/7 sights and pressed them on with locktite

jus dont use a screwdriver/drywall hammer/ghetto things
    youl damage/mar/gouge the gun real easy with one slip.

i hear that james guy does it correctly and at a good price too

11. Alcaideariel12

Alcaideariel12 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Guys:
    I was having the same problem, took the slide to numerous gunsmith. The solution was either 60.00 dollar in the hole or wait a week for a maybe it could be done. I always been pretty handy to find a solution to thing when I step back and think for a couple. And the truth is, that it's really simple without hurting my slide or the rear sight. To damage any of the two was unacceptable for me. First thing I did was call Springfield to see what they recommend and the tech. told me that the only way to do it was tapping it out with a center point and small hammer from left to right if your looking at the slide from the rear. Slide should be in a padded press. Seeing that I don't have a press, I improvised. I grabbed a solid piece of maple wood, two pieces of plastic strap and four wood screw with washers. I put a rag between the slide and the wood and strapped the slide down to the wood, keeping the sight out of the wood on the very edge for support. Tapped it with the center point on the side of the sight as close as possible to the slide, so I wouldn't damage the sight. I gave it three good taps and it was done. no damage on either pieces. I will post pics tomorrow.

PS. Removal tool is a NO NO because the slide on the XDM does not have a full flat side and the tool will cause damage because of the amount of pressure that would have to be put to the slide to keep it from moving.

12. Alcaideariel12

Alcaideariel12 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No need for damaging any part of the gun.

13. Peelthis

Peelthis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^ Well done Alcaideariel12, looks good.

14. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just got my XDm 45 compact back from ajamesp51 at XD-HS2000.com, he did a perfect job installing my sights and I was only w/o my slide for 4 days using priority mail shipping both ways.... I bought my sights from him so the install was included in the price but, it'd be well worth $20.00 or more to me to not have to mess with it.

15. Libertyordeath

Libertyordeath XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I'm goingvto call my local shops hopefully one of them capable of doing it.

16. Libertyordeath

Libertyordeath XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that I recall on calguns.net there was a member selling sight remover that he made and said it worked for xd's and was only $52 might I've to check it out. And update post if so.

17. RichardS

RichardS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a tool from MGW that has worked fine removing stock sights and installing aftermarket on 3 XDm's. You are welcome to borrow it if you cover shipping, PM me if interested.

I could not find the a manufacturer web site but this is the tool
    Front & Rear Sight Tool Springfield XD XDM

It is listed as out of stock so I'm not even sure they are still being made. One of the reviews says will not remove stock sights but that has not been my experience. I did apply some penetrating oil to the sights in advance so maybe that helped? Or maybe the press fit is tighter on some and I just got lucky.

18. Barrettbreath

Barrettbreath XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Removing the factory sights from almost all XD's is a heavy job. Hopefully i

can help make it a bit easier for you.

I read that the sights are heat pressed in or tapered and must come out right to left or left to right, no one will take them out for you etc etc :roll:.

Here are the facts and pictures.

The sight comes out right to left when looking down the slide from the rear period. I tried for half an hour or so left to right and it did not move a millimeter. I used a 2 ton come along with a 15lb steel rig to keep pressure on the sight as i tapped it and nothing. I started from right to left with out the come-a-long and after 4 good whacks the alignment line disappeared on the opposite side.
    Clearly this was the right way.

The 1st picture i took when it was 1/2 way out from right to left.

The second and third pictures show the sights push in farther by hand from left to right.

The next picture shows the new sights in and the tool it came with. This tool is way insufficient to remove the XD's original sights as you see in the following pictures.

I used the Large punch and a 22 Oz framing hammer and some WD-40 after securing the slide in a cloth protected 4" vice. Don't hold back when you start driving the sights out until they give some. After that you can use more controlled strikes.

Putting the new ones in after completely removing all the oil residue and drying it was easy enough with the brass tool supplied and a lighter hammer then tighten the retaining screw down.

I did not use any locktite etc after what it took to remove the sights. Nothing electric/electronic ever lasts forever. Don't hurt yourself by trying to permanently mount your new sights.

The last picture shows the removal tools-yes they are big and they need to be. The small hammer and punch for the installation.

I had everything except the punch set which i have been needing a punch and chisel set any ways. get them at Harbor freight for about 11 bucks.

I hope this helps until they actually make a reasonably priced removal tool.

I did have it at the gunsmiths for 3 weeks and finally just went and picked it up and did it myself. I saw some small marring where he must have tried to remove it. He made it good however.

Attached Files:

19. plateshooter

plateshooter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is how I have done it. Get a can of air like you use to blow out computers. Fix the slide in a padded vise. I get a steel punch that will fit into the dovetail.,Grind a flat on the end so the flat section rides in the bottom of the dovetail. This allows more of the punch to contact the sight. Turn the can of air upside down and lightly press the trigger until drops of the propellant come out of the straw in the can. Let these drops land on the rear sight only. It will freeze it and cause the metal to shrink. Add drops until the sight is completely frosted over, then add a few more. Take the modified punch and knock the sight out.

20. Sargent

Sargent XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Freezing the sights awesome idea.