Springfield XD Forum banner

Range report

4K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  DJCantonGA 
#1 · (Edited)
Well as some of you guys might know I got a GEN 4 Glock 17 about three weeks ago. Put 150 rounds through it at 7 yards all dead center totally unbelievable, love it. Well I went to the range today just to have some fun took the Glock 17 with me, the shield 9 mm and rented two guns.

Once again the Glock 17 shoots like a dream. All stock no modifications call me a Kool-Aid drinker, call me whatever, I absolutely am in love with it. 50 rounds second time ever shooting it.

Shot my concealed carry gun the shield some and I still love it , sweet shooter.

I figured since I'm already shooting 9 mm why don't I rent. They had the HK VP9 there. Wow, the gun fit my hand like it was custom molded. Very nice feeling gun and I love the slide with the little tabs on each end of the back, makes it very easy to rack. Shot some rounds through it. And if I'm being honest here without getting in trouble with anybody, I thought it was so so. The gun felt better in hand then it actually shot if that makes sense. I would say the Glock 17 I shot was noticeably better feeling. Granted that was the very first time shooting the VP9 but I've only shot my Glock 17 two times now.

I don't know if it was because it's a rental gun or that doesn't really matter, but I can honestly 100% say I think the stock trigger on my Glock 17 was better than the VP 9. I am talking about the take up to break and then the reset. Reset especially, A lot shorter on my Glock 17. I couldn't believe it myself, because I've heard a lot of positive reviews on this site about VP 9 and the trigger specifically. Again not knocking it in anyway it's a very nice guy felt like it was custom molded to my hand. But I can honestly say I like the stock trigger on my Glock better and the reset was noticeably shorter. I would put 3–5 rounds through the VP nine and then immediately 3–5 rounds through the Glock 17 to compare, I did that a few times.

Not being real impressed with the VP 9, especially after reading all the hype about it, I turned it in and rented the Walther PPQ. Boom right off the bat, A better trigger than the VP 9. Keep in mind I'm comparing these two specific models that the range rents so I don't know if I can speak in general terms just the two specific ones that I shot. That PPQ trigger is no joke. Very short take up and the reset is so short it's almost like there is not one. I've never shot a gun like that in my life. Very similar to the VP9 in terms of how it fit my hand, felt like it was custom molded as well. Not sure I noticed any real difference in recoil between the two. I can tell you there is a black and white difference, night and day difference, in between the stock triggers.

Not trying to start a debate, and I am not a Glock fanboy in any respect. I only own one Glock and just got it three weeks ago. I can honestly say I like my Glock 17 better than the VP 9. Now the PPQ felt really good. It's funny how totally different each gun feels in your hand as far as the grip angle when shooting them back to back, meaning 3 to 5 rounds and then immediately 3 to 5 rounds with the other gun. The PP Q feels more comfortable and custom fit to your hand then they Glock 17. The trigger was definitely better for stock but I wouldn't say 1 million times better.

All in all I'm glad I bought a Glock 17. And if I were to buy another gun, I'm glad I did not just by the VP 9 unseen unfired over the PPQ because those are my thoughts after reading all the reviews especially on this site. Could it have been the gun itself and because it's a range gun trigger wasn't as good as new.? I'm not sure if that's possible but I didn't think it was all that. The PPQ on the other hand was sweet, I mean real sweet.

Anyway those are my observations and thought I would share them with you guys. I shot the Walther PPQ and VP 9 very well. I still seemed more comfortable with the Glock 17. Obviously options are like AH's so........just wanted to share what I did today.

As a side note, they did not have a Glock 30 S, the next one I want to purchase, just the 30 SF. That's how I ended up renting the Walther PPQ and the HK VP9.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool deal. I love my Gen 4 G17. While I like the way my VP9 feels, if it came down to my VP9 or my Gen 4 G17, it wouldn't even be a decision. The trigger on my VP9 breaks very nicely, but all in all, it's not night and day vs. my Glocks.

#4 ·
I really like the Gen 4. Only Glock I ever parted ways with was a Gen 3 G17. Just didn't like it. So I never had any interest in a G22, and I've always been a .40 fan. Tried a Gen G17 and went back a week or so later and bought a Gen 4 G22. :)

#5 ·
I'm glad you found what works for you! Good shooting as well! I'm one of those VP9 fans myself in fact after realizing the Glocks have gone untouched since the arrival of the VP9 I sold off one of the 17's last week to make room for the VP 40, if I don't order the P30sk first!

#16 ·
Waiting to hear your report on the VP40. I bet it's gonna be nice.

#6 ·
My Glock 19 Gen 3 is a sweet shooter too!! Nice work with the G17 Gen 4!!! I believe the British Military just traded in their Browning HP for G17 Gen 4s??

I just purchased a XD-9 Service and was considering a G17.... However, I shoot lots of cast lead bullets... so I did not want to purchase an aftermarket barrel.

#7 ·
Was weird, I was expecting a lot more out of the VP9. The trigger in this rental gun had more take up to the break then my Glock and the reset was 100% noticeably longer than the Glock. Like I said, was it because it was a range rental? Not sure, what would that matter? Maybe it does and I don't know the reason. I liked my stock 17 better. Now the PPQ, that was 100% noticeably different than my Glock and in a good way. I mean the reset was so short it was unbelievable. The grip just melted into my hand, felt like a custom molded grip. Very nice gun no question.

But for me and for the price, my used Gen 4 17 was the best purchase I've made. I think I paid $479 for it. Every time I shoot it, which is 2 times at around 200-225 rounds, it's dead balls accurate at 7 yards and 15 as well.

#12 ·
Was weird, I was expecting a lot more out of the VP9. The trigger in this rental gun had more take up to the break then my Glock and the reset was 100% noticeably longer than the Glock. Like I said, was it because it was a range rental? Not sure, what would that matter? Maybe it does and I don't know the reason. I liked my stock 17 better. Now the PPQ, that was 100% noticeably different than my Glock and in a good way. I mean the reset was so short it was unbelievable. The grip just melted into my hand, felt like a custom molded grip. Very nice gun no question.

But for me and for the price, my used Gen 4 17 was the best purchase I've made. I think I paid $479 for it. Every time I shoot it, which is 2 times at around 200-225 rounds, it's dead balls accurate at 7 yards and 15 as well.
I'm not saying your wrong or that you shouldn't love the Glock but Something was wrong with that VP9. The trigger on the VP9 is much more like the PPQ and measurably shorter in pull and reset compared to the Glock, in fact mine are nearly identical to the PPQ with half the take up of even my PPQ's.

Reactions: Helpdesk9
#18 ·
I'm holding-off on my Dan Wesson purchase for now should the VP45 become a reality and I like the way it shoots.

#19 ·
I'm holding-off on my Dan Wesson purchase for now should the VP45 become a reality and I like the way it shoots.
I'd be down like a clown for that. :)

#20 ·
A glock 19 may be in my future. Good range report.

Reactions: Butterface
#21 ·
I'm among the camp who have the opinion that the VP9 triggers are somewhat inconsistent. I've personally seen really good ones - PPQ good - and ones that were decidedly worse than a stock Glock trigger.

The PPQ's trigger, however, is simply no joke - and virtually everyone agrees that it's *consistently* that good, out-of-the-box.

Vickers had high praise for the PPQ's trigger:

Larry Vickers on the PPQ... - WaltherForums

Not that I'm anybody to even remotely disagree with him, but man, that's a huge endorsement......

#23 ·
Sorry to hijack your rr, but where is the cheapest place to get a glock19? Locally while looking for deals, or somewhere online?

#26 ·
I found the same results with a vp9. I had high expectations and was very disappointed in it.

Nathan, I got my 19 on gunbroker. Just wait to find one that sneaks under the radar that people don't bid on. I got mine for $475 with night sights. Used Glocks are just as good as new ones. I've never minded buying a gun with 200 rounds through it. They saved me a hypothetical break in period and I saved money on it.

#29 ·
Most modern pistols produced by the major manufacturers are reliable, discounting the occasional lemons. Slight ergonomics and trigger actions variances often become greatly magnified by internet discussions. Putting all the babble and jabber aside, the most important factor is consistently putting holes where intended.

Obviously, the OP can shoot her G17 and is pleased with the firearm. That's all that really matters-- except getting another gun we can blather about.:mrgreen:

#32 ·
I thought the OP was a he. I could be wrong.

Harmless mistake either way.

#30 ·
When it comes to opinions on guns I only post what I observe, so I can't post on the global perceptions of the VP9 trigger. But I can say my VP9 has the best striker fired trigger I've ever felt. Period. And because it's made by HK I believe it's made to a higher standard than the typical polymer gun.

Nothing wrong with other choices out there, but that's my 2 cents on the VP9.

#31 ·
Good shooting!

You might find this odd buy my 2nd gen G17 groups very similar. The only mod I did to the gun was put in Ghost's 3.4 pound trigger. The rest of the 1992 made G17 is bone stock. Even my old night sights still glow fairly well.

You seemed to have found a dirty little secret - that the Glock 17 shoots pretty damn good right out of the freaking box with no mods at all. This seems to be true of the G17 and G19, as I too have discovered this in the many years I have been shooting Glock pistols.

I am thinking hard of skipping the VP-9 and getting a new 4th gen G17 instead. My Glocks are 2nd and 3rd gen guns and I just know I can pick up the gen 4 G17 and blaze away...roght out of the box...with no troubles.

Glad you like the G17....if you ask me...the G17/19s are very, very hard to beat.

#36 ·
Oh yeah, the secret is out. I'm in love with the stock 17. I even sleep with it....well, on the nightstand not actually in the bed.:mrgreen:

I love Glock in general and that is a new love. I only own this one. I found my love at the range a year or 2 ago after renting the 22. First Glock I ever shot. Then a 17, then a 26. Dead accuarate with all 3. Ended up buying the 17 and man I'm glad I did.

Next ones in line will be the 30S and then possibly the 26. Although a full size 45 cal would be nice too.

By the way....I want a PPQ M2, fired the regualr PPQ at the range and really liked it. More than the VP9. I figure those Glocks I want and even the PPQ are more realistic price wise than the Sig 229 Extreme I've been eyeing.

#33 ·
Ok I totally need a glock 19. The funds are finally accumulated. Hoping in the next month or two.

Reactions: Butterface
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.