Range Report SKS vs AK 47 accuracy. I was wrong.

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by Alaskapopo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I thought there would not be a difference in accuracy between the AK and SKS. I tested these guns.
    [​IMG]
    SKS Para Trooper. I have added Tech Sights since this photo was taken. Basically an AR15 style rear apature sight. Which played a role in the accuracy results I am sure.

Here is the Mak 90
    [​IMG]

It has Krebs forward style apature sights. I also have a Ashley express front sight. So this sighting system is much more coarse. That played a role I am sure as well.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway here are the groups. The best AK group was 3.87 inches at 50 yards from a bag. The worst was nearly 5 inches.
    [​IMG]

The best SKS group was 1.87 inches and the worst was 3.34 inches. The SKS is a better shooter at least in my case.
    I have an Iron Dot from Larue coming for the AK and I will test it again when its here. But I have to eat some crow as I was wrong the SKS seems to have a clear accuracy edge. I experienced good accuracy from my SKS M when I fired it earlier but I shot it on a different day. It averaged 2 to 3 inches at 50 yards as well.
    [​IMG]

2. HumbleGuy

HumbleGuy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good post. I look forward to seeing the results from the Larue Iron Dot, because I'm considering what sight changes to make on my Romanian.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. xjedix

xjedix XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I get the same results with my Norinco SKS vs. my Russian Saiga AK. SKS's are great rifles, very accurate for what they are.

Thanks for posting, glad someone else put it to the test.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a Saiga .308, and Yugo SKS, and I noticed that the Saiga does horribly if I shoot it off of a fixed front rest. The shots go all over the place. The SKS doesn't seem to have this problem. The Saiga is a lot more accurate if I shoot it from what I call "simulated prone" with my elbows on the shooting table at the range. I think that it is possible that the AK design causes bouncing off of a fixed rest.
    Were you shooting off of a fixed front rest? If you were, I'd be curious what happened if you tried again off of your elbows, which allows for some "give" against the flexing of the barrel/gas tube assembly on firing.
    That said, my SKS is pretty accurate for a battle rifle too. It and my s308 both do around 3moa.
    On sunday I was at the range with some friends, and I was shooting the Saiga at 100 yards, and my buddy had some golf balls set up at 186 yards. He says "I wanna see you try for a golf ball." I hit one at 186 on my first shot! I should have stopped right there lol, because the following shots were around a 6 inch group around the golf balls. We were all impressed with the rifle, needless to say :)
    The Saiga has a "mojo" aperture rear sight, and a small diameter front sight post that I got from tech sights, and a rsa trigger. The SKS has stock sights and the (bad) stock trigger, so with that taken into account, I guess I'd have to give the nod to the SKS.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    told ya....;)...even with the factory sights the SKS should do noticeably better than the AK. Its has more to do with the moving action than the sights. The AK moves around a bit more. The other thing to keep in mind is that you honestly have to find the ammo each like the best. My 'shooter' Norinco SKS likes the old wolf/military classic better than any thing else. My milled Polytech likes Silver bear better. Even with hand loads the react different. I'm very surprised at how open the group is with your MAK at only 50y. Have you tried groups without the brake on the MAK. I had a standard slant on my MAK and when I took it off, it grouped about a .50" tighter from the bench at 100y.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alaskapopo

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You were right. As far as ammo goes. Right now its a I will take what I can get situation. It group similar back before I put the brake on.
    Pat

• Like Like x 1
  7. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    how did you like the tech sights on the sks ?

I have been thinking of ordering them, i was hoping to run into someone with them at the range, but i never do.

are they a nice tight fit ?

8. Alaskapopo

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I like them except for one thing. With the stock blade I needed to lower the front sight till it was bottomed out then I needed to cut it down still to get the elvation right. That was unacceptable. So in the end I bought the elevation adjustable rear and ran it all the way up as far as it could go. Then I used the front sight to adjust the elevation and it was no longer so short and it is far easier to shoot. The only down side is the rear sight stick up out of the protective wings a bit. It is nice and tight and has not lost 0 as of yet.
    Pat

9. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    All of 'shooters' have this sight barrel. I've ran into the same issue with factory sights. I have one Romanian SKS that will not zero below 200y! Works pretty good and opens up the types of posts you can use since you can get thinner and shorter/taller about everywhere. I'm making one for one of my Mosins...using different lengths of welding rods to zero gets old quick...
    ACE LTD. USA

10. Alaskapopo

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I am glad I have tech sights on the Para the front sight was pushed all the way to the left just to get it to 0 at 25 yards. Once I got the tech sights I took care of the windage adjustment with the rear sight and centered the front sight windage wise. Trigger does suck on the Paratrooper the SKS M is not as bad.
    Pat

11. Cryogaijin

Cryogaijin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Popo, if you want to trek up the penninsula at some point you can fire off my .308 saiga with its scope. It is FAR more accurate than that (Getting 2" groups at 50 yards with an entire 20 round mag) though that might be the results of scope+higher quality ammo.

12. redyak3

redyak3 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Finally shot my MAK90 with the Bushnell Holosight. Bought 2 (20 rnd)boxes of Wolf HP, for 52.00 & change (how absurd is that!). I got it close to matching the iron sights on paper. Set up bowling pin stages like we do in our action rifle matches, and knocked them down pretty easily. Then ran out of ammo... The club offers 1000rnd cases of 7.62 for 300 I jumping on that. I haven't shot any groups yet with the Holosight. The MAK90 is a lot of fun to shoot, and with the Holosight, a good partner with the ARs.

13. Alaskapopo

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Would you be interested in using that Saiga at a three gun match I host in May. I have not set the dates yet. But I usually host one and sometimes 2 three gun shoots open to all.
    Pat

14. Cryogaijin

Cryogaijin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I know absolutely nothing about 3gun. And I do know I am relatively ****ty for accuracy. (Think of me as the larval form of a marksman. I know my limitations, and am working on my technique, but due to work constraints I'm not getting enough practice.)

'sides, I need to finish sighting in my scope.
    (Read as Interested, but clueless.)