Range Report - Ruger SR-556E

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Obscura, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Parents night out at our daycare and you know what that means! Bust'it on down to the Arms Room in League City TX for some shooting.

I spent some time in the store before shooting looking at a couple of optics under consideration. Aimpoint micro T-1 and Trijicon ACOG. After seeing both up close I've decided to stick with the plan and save up for an ACOG. It was sharper and more comfortable to look through. They quoted full retail and they'll need to move off that if they're going to get the sale.

Time to shoot!
    First time out with the Ruger SR-556E, first time ever shooting an AR-15.

Instructions for the Troy Battlesights said to put blue loctite on the rail mount screw threads. I did so and began the zeroing in process. I forgot to print my one inch grid targets so I reverted to the less scientific method of trial and error, three to five shots at a time. The maximum distance on the rifle range is 65 feet so that is where I shot. One more thing, I was standing holding the rifle without a bench or anything. First group was low around 5:00. I adjusted the sights and fired another three. Checked and things were moving in the right direction. Repeated the process until it was ON.

[​IMG]
    The two groups in the green are where I started, the five near the bulls-eye are where I finished. (more shots in between under layers of stickers)

I haven't ever shot an AR-15 so I was surprised by how much noise the spring in the buffer tube makes. That or the collapsible stock rattling or something. Are they all that way?

Ruger will tell you that the SR-556E has a two stage gas piston operating system. What does that mean in the real world? It means the bolt carrier stays cool to the touch even after extended rapid fire drills. :twisted: It also means the handguard heats up like a branding iron! :shock: I'm not kidding, I was not wearing gloves and had to fold up a used target for insulation for the last magazine of the night. Ruger makes some thin rubber grips, I've ordered a set. I'm going to guess that everyone who owns this rifle gets burned at least once by touching the gas regulator with bare fingers.

I finished up my 200 rounds ten minutes before closing time. At checkout the cashier said I looked like I was having fun. She was right.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. baconrocket

baconrocket XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you like your AR! I bought a rock river last year and thoroughly enjoy it. Yes, the buffer tube makes a lot of noise. I was shocked when I first fired it. That being said, after about 800 or so rounds through it so far I don't really notice it anymore. I don't know if it no longer does it or I've just become accustomed.

P.S. I kinda want a piston kit in my AR, but for now the impingement system works just fine.

3. KCD1974

KCD1974 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My buffer tube made lots of noise too...just pull the spring out and lube it up a bit...I also found that if I lubed up the stock itself it also helped. Don't over lube it or it will get all gunked up....you don't need much.

4. Val 2.0

Val 2.0 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Going there sometime this coming week! :cool: Nice ending group btw!