Range Report - Core 15 M4-MOE

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by windsearcher, Mar 25, 2012.

1. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    [​IMG]

So, I posted earlier this month about the new addition to the family - this: GTO Core15 M4- MOE. Chambered in 5.56/.223 with 1/8 twist and Magpul BUIS. (no optics yet.... That's for when budget allows)

Got out to the range on Sat. and put about 150 rounds through it.

First and foremost, I am a "FNG" to the AR platform. My exposure to rifles has been limited to marksmanship training in college with .22lr target rifles, a hunter safety course way, way back..... and an occasional try-out of a friend's rifle, or a couple of shots out of an M-14 .... and a few sessions with my shotgun. So, I am not a professional in any manner. This is purely an UN-technical thread about a first experience with this AR platform from a newbie.

The range session was 100% to learn what to do with the thing. Get accustomed to the controls and work on getting sight picture, etc.

Now.. the good: The Core15 seems to be well balanced. It comes up on target quickly. The Magpul double aparature rear sight makes it easy for both the fast acquition (lg opening), and the accurate shots (smaller opening). The rifle seems to be made well, and while I was not shooting for accuracy out of a bench rest, (all shots were taken standing, unsupported, with no sling), I was holding groups acceptable to me at about 45-50 yards. I fired 2 - 30rd magazines of American Eagle brass cased 5.56 with zero failures of any sort. As compared to the stock front handguard, the MOE forend was quite comfortable and I'm glad I went for the upgrade.

The bad: I picked up some 55gr and 62 gr Herters steel cased ammo from Cabelas on the recomendation of a friend who shoots it all the time. I had no luck at all with that ammo.

The Herters would not feed properly, would not extract, and the last shot of the day, we needed to get a cleaning rod and punch out the shell casing that was stuck in the barrel/chamber. It appears that this gun does not want to eat the Herters, and between fte/doublefeeds, it put a damper on what had started to be a good day.

I have had NO good experiences at all with the steel cased ammo.... my trial with Tula in my Glock was horrid, and now this experience with Herters. I think I'll go back to brass!!

Apart from the ammo issue, the only thing I have a reservation on is the trigger. The pull feels a bit coarse, and I definitely need lots of work on getting the squeeze and trigger reset worked out. I don't know what I was expecting, but, it feels as though there is a bunch of sand in my trigger group that I am pulling through. That is an easy enough fix with an upgrade, but that is my only gripe with the AR itself.

--- End verdict - I think if I do my part, this will be a good gun for me. My early training with rifles, I'd closed my right eye to use my left to get a sight picture. Come to find out that I am right eye dominant, and I need to work on keeping both eyes open. I have been able to do that with handguns, and will now need to work on it with the rifle.

I got plenty of malfunction training yesterday. :evil: and I am definitely in need of learning the platform and figuring out how to do everything quickly and smoothly.

Safety issue - My handguns, intentionally, have been without external safeties. (XDm / Glock / Kahr). That has gotten me out of a habit of engaging an external safety or decocking a hammer. For the AR, While my barrel was always under control and pointed in a safe direction, finger off trigger etc.... on a regular basis, I'd forget to engage the safety... or, when ready to squeeze the shot, the safety would be engaged.

Overall - as long as I don't put in crappy ammo, and I figure out how to do my part in the operation, I think the Core15 will be a very good platform for my home/self defense needs.

2. Jswiney9

Jswiney9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First and foremost congratulations! Some AR's do not like steel at all, thats not reserved to your rifle. With the 1/8th twist your barrel has, you can shoot with light and heavy bullets with decent stabilization in both, so buy cheap but dont go steel haha. I would also like to note that the trigger on another core15 that I tried out was also very very grainy. Easy fix though! Enjoy your new firearm, be safe, and get familiar with it! :cool:

3. windsearcher

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Thanks for the input! I will be heading to another range later this week / early next, for some longer range & accuracy training (with brass cased rounds this time!!)..... will see how it goes for grouping.

Will definitely enjoy the AR!!

4. 1xdmshooter

1xdmshooter XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congratulations on your purchase. Sorry you had issues with the steel stuff but now you know that it loves the brass you shouldn't have any other issues.

5. jimdanos

jimdanos XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 15
    I picked up one today and will be taking it to the range on Saturday.

6. ErichF

ErichF XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had mine since last Oct and it's been great!

[​IMG]

7. PR1042

PR1042 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how much are you guys paying for these?

8. windsearcher

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    I have a good deal going on with my local gun shop / instructor / friend.....

Mine came in under $900 including tax / background etc and a few boxes of ammo.

Compared to others available and other shops, I feel I did ok. (Not a steal, but good). I also wanted to show my loyalty to him and even if I could have shaved a few $$ at Buds or Cheaper-than-dirt or whatever, I want to support my LGS.

Over the last year or two, I have gotten about 15+ hours of one-on-one combat handgun / unarmed combat training for free. He's earned my loyalty

9. windsearcher

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    @ jimdanos --- congrats on your purchase. Good luck with it!!

@ ErichF -- glad you have had a great experience with yours!! I need to spend A LOT more time at the range with mine. Have less than 300 rounds through mine so far.

Except for not liking the cheap steel ammo, I think it will be great!!

10. PR1042

PR1042 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not a bad price. One of the stores in my area just became a dealer for them but hasn't posted prices yet, was just curious

11. Clover

Clover XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got one last month
    Fired around 300 rounds. It's ok with federal but I jams with
    Remington. Failed to eject and double feed.
    I emailed core15 and Justin said their rifle has problem with the
    Remington rounds.
    I can't believe my friend's M&P eats the Remington like nothing.
    I don't know if I'm expecting too much, but I want my AR to be reliable with
    factory-made rounds

I sent it to them yesterday and see what happens.
    I think I should have gotten the sig 400 or sig 516.

12. windsearcher

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Ok, update on this thread .... been quite a while now, and have sent a good deal of lead down-range with it.

Have made a few upgrades, added an Aimpoint PRO, and some other misc. exterior items. Am definitely liking the gun.

As of now, I am finding it eats pretty much everything.... including Wolf, MFS and Monarch steel ammo. I haven't tried TULA/Herters steel again. Accuracy is good for a self defense / "SHTF" rifle, I am doing most of my shooting out to about 100 yards, using standing, prone, kneeling and sitting positions, either with the iron sights or red dot, un-magnified.

Total round count?? Stopped counting after about 1500 rounds or so. No failures of any sort except for the earlier issues with Herters.

Added a "Raptor" charging handle which I like a lot. I transition between both left-handed and right handed shooting, and having the ambi charging handle is very nice. Also really like the Tactical link bolt release. (Similar to the Magpul BAD Lever).

Now, just need to find more time to spend on the range, and continue to shrink the groups as best possible. --

There have been plenty of threads on other forums who are questioning the quality/build of the Core-15, and if my experience over the last year is the same as others are having, the rifle / manufacturer should be able to build a good name for themselves.

13. jimdanos

jimdanos XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 15
    Except for the Remington/UMC problem early on, mine runs just fine with my reloads and everything else that was run through it. Round count near 3000.

14. lowbar

lowbar XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've heard good things about Core. I have 0 personal experience with them. But, I would have a hard time keeping a rifle that won't shoot steel case ammo. Any rifle I've ever had could cycle junk ammo without issue if need be.

15. windsearcher

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    @ lowbar.... the only steel it doesn't like is the Herters stuff..... MFS, Wolf and a few others ran fine..... but, I get your point.