Racking Issues with XDM .45

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Speedo, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Speedo

Speedo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi All,

I just got an XDM 5.25 .45 and I'm having an issue with it. When the slide is closed and I have a full magazine inserted, it's near impossible to rack the slide and load the first round which is downright bizarre. If I really force it, it'll begrudgingly load a round, but when I eject the round you can see a long scrape mark on the bullet casing from where the slide must be grinding up against it when you rack it back.

I have an XD 9, never had anything like this happen with it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Something is definitely off here, and I can't even consider competing with it in it's current state. Thanks for your time!

2. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Lock the slide back then insert full mag. The mag springs will loosen up after some use. How many rounds are you putting in the mag?

don

3. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +365 / 3
    Does it have the same problem with more than one magazine?

4. Charlie Xray

Charlie Xray XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    With a fully loaded mag, there is a lot of pressure exerted by the top round against the center feed rail of the slide. The column of rounds in the mag are actually compressed even more. Think of trying to shove one more round in a fully loaded mag, and you get the idea how much pressure is involved.

That is compounded by the "bump" at the breech end of the feed rail. For that to get past the top round, the column must be compressed more yet!

It will get better as the mag springs wear in and relax a little, but it won't go away completely.

Easiest solution is to insert the mag with the slide back and then either release the slide stop or sling shot the slide to feed a round, the latter being preferred to slow wear on the slide stop.

CX

5. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 Agree...

6. Tahunua001

Tahunua001 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    I never had this problem but I "broke mine in" before use. I locked the slide back, let it ram forward and dry fired it probably 3 dozen times or so before I ever added ammunition to the mix. probably not necessary or even recommended but I never have had issues with the XDM45 and slide racking issues.

7. Charlie Xray

Charlie Xray XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If I am understanding you correctly, dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not a real good idea, as it puts stress on components that would not be there clambering a round.

And I don't see how that would relieve the OP's original problem?

CX

8. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Left me scratching my head too.....:confused:

9. jimbob

jimbob XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You said it was scraping the case.
    If you remove the slide can you see any burrs on the bottom of the firing pin channel (the part that actually rubs across the round and pushes the next into the chamber)

10. jrw113

jrw113 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The slide on my XDm 5.25 in 45 ACP was a little tough to rack when I first got the gun. Went away with use. I considered it part of the break in.

11. quackattack

quackattack XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was having problems fully racking the slide and chambering the 1st round because of the stiff recoil spring and shallow serrations. I thought I was losing hand strength. My son suggested I put some "skateboard tape" on the rack.

Two 1/2 inch squares of tape (one on each side) placed right behind the rear serrations solved the problem 100%.
    It is now easy to rack, even with a fully loaded mag. NO more chambering issues at all.

So, the problem was not strength or the recoil spring stiffness........it was "grip"

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. shogan191

shogan191 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is interesting to ponder.

13. dannny745

dannny745 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i felt the same way so i got ext,mags canyon creek ,but i use stock followers.i am in ny so they are 10rnd mags,with ext ,so better with 10 in it,and i use in limited 10 uspsa so it lets me put in barny for 1st mag,,you dont get 13 in a stock 10rnd mag ..
    i would really like to see a 5.25 xdm in 9 with 10 rnd mags,,,